• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-01-30

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The bottom half of the panel I would love to have as a shirt. Especially the 2nd to the last panel. That would be awesome to have at work when one program crashes again!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh gosh...that was pretty much my reaction when I tried to get a table for Artists Alley at this year's Anime Boston. Filled out in 24 seconds. Luckily, my group is first on the backlist.
Heretic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Oh gosh...that was pretty much my reaction when I tried to get a table for Artists Alley at this year's Anime Boston. Filled out in 24 seconds. Luckily, my group is first on the backlist.

Wait...so you're saying the artist alley filled up 24 seconds after registration opened?...Good lord.
i cast fira

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
If this is anything like what really happens when signing up for artists alley, those artists have my sympathy.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing

Ha ha! Now that was funny. Although I do hope we get more of Daisuke in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:

So just imagine if she [Paola] had waited the whole 4 hours instead of checking it early like she did. I wonder how far down the list she would have been and what sort of a reaction would that have induced?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy this comic. Please keep 'em coming!
Hiryu77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
Sepherest wrote:

So just imagine if she [Paola] had waited the whole 4 hours instead of checking it early like she did. I wonder how far down the list she would have been and what sort of a reaction would that have induced?

She says that she only missed the registration by an hour. So if she checked her stuff an hour and half later...

Paola's Anger + X, with X = Paola's Anger times 1.5.

Wow, I never knew about signing up for Artist's Alley is so impossible. Daaaaayyamm.
Sonata-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
I wonder what type of drawings Paolo comes up with...
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Say....how did you come up with the name Paola? Not very common.

I always figured it was a play on the word payola, in reference to doing work based on other people's creations without giving them money for it (which isn't what payola is). Though payola comes from the record industry, but I guess it could be used to reference similar things. Maybe instead it's about paying for "con-time" in the artist alley.

But I could be way off and just put too much thought into it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Say....how did you come up with the name Paola? Not very common.

I always figured it was a play on the word payola, in reference to doing work based on other people's creations without giving them money for it (which isn't what payola is). Though payola comes from the record industry, but I guess it could be used to reference similar things. Maybe instead it's about paying for "con-time" in the artist alley.

But I could be way off and just put too much thought into it.

Emerje

Origin of the name Paola
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
billyarnie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
ManOfRust wrote:

A bit of personal experience behind this week's installment?

That was my thought as well...

Poor Robin **cough**...Paola

Possibly... I have a suggestion, however. Since Nina is gaining a following, instead of being "just an artist" at Artists Alley, you could graduate to Guest! Guest?! Hear me out...
My newest fave webcomic (Besides "Anime News Nina!") is www.cordeval.com AKA "The Real Life Adventures of Amelie". Amelie "Ami-chan" Belcher is coming to San Japan this August in San Antonio, TX. Link here: http://www.san-japan.org/index.php?menu=guest_&guest=Amelie+Belcher.
Keep it up with www.jadedsketch.com & "Nina", and You Too can soon be a Guest. Need advice? Ask Justin: http://www.animecons.com/guests/bio.shtml/1407/Justin_Sevakis. Oh, he's no longer with ImaginAsian? My bad...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
A bit of personal experience behind this week's installment?

I guess it was more obvious that I thought.. Anime hyper I'm found out. Except for me, I didn't lose months of bathing and sleep, but a $350 nonrefundable plane ticket, which I bought after I had quit my job. Anime cry Oh well.. some life lessons hit you harder than others. (my friend and I did literally yell "vigilance" to eachother for about 3 months though).

You's all have my permission to make avatars out of Paola's freak-out face if you wish. ^^ Also the name "Paola" doesn't particularly mean anything to me- she is supposed to be of hispanic descent, so I just went with a hispanic name I liked. I'm not deep. -_-

Sonata-san: Paola doesn't actually draw, she sells cosplay props and crafts.
billyarnie: That would be nice! Though I suppose I'd have to wait for more word on Nina to get out, as you can't really invite yourself as a guest (only Jerry Morgan would do something like that). However, I did recently find Nina on a HUNGARIAN scanlation website, which I thought was awesome! And also, I actually saw Amelie Belcher's booth at Ohayocon, but I'd never heard of her before. Fun stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

Though I suppose I'd have to wait for more word on Nina to get out, as you can't really invite yourself as a guest (only Jerry Morgan would do something like that).

He would... he really, really would.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I had NO idea Artist Alley tables were such in insanely high demand! Makes sense, though, especially for the bigger cons like AX and Comic-con. My mediumish con seems to have plenty of table space though, which is why I never even considered it to be a problem.

Great comic, like usual. Paola freak-out face reminds me of Jhonen Vasquez's expressions and made me laugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4