• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newtype USA to Cease Publication

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Glad I didn't subscribe to Newtype several months ago when I was deciding what magazine to subscribe to. OtakuUSA all the way! Still, Newtype did have a lot of good articles, it shall be missed.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Is one of the reasons why its ceasing publication because their prices for an issue was too high?
grgspunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Meh. They said there's a new publication in the works so I don't see much to worry about.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm annoyed by this, but I hope the new publication comes to fruition.
ruro niko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I am saddened to hear this. Sure, Newtype was freaken expensive, but it was a very notable publication. Luckily, there's still Otaku USA and Protoculture Addicts to pick up the pace, but still, it's Newtype. The Gundam fanboy in me weeps if for nothing else than the lose of the name.

Last edited by ruro niko on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grico

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
So do they just not want to pay the licensing fee anymore, or is the new magazine later on just vaporware for spin purposes?
RoodyPooUS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Grico wrote:
So do they just not want to pay the licensing fee anymore, or is the new magazine later on just vaporware for spin purposes?

I can easily see this being an issue of licensing fees for the NewType name. They may just start a new publication with the same stuff under a new title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow, how shocking! Well, the price is ridiculously high. I'm wondering if the substitute publication is going to be lower quality lower price, or if they're just revamping everything.

GEH. Newtype was at least reputable, and worthy of it. Anime Insider is kind of trashy. :/
Proz512

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
/sky is falling
Votary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
What’s to come of subscriptions that go past Feb?
Not even a week ago I received an email notice that I’d better renew with only 4 issue left on my subscription, I’m really glad I didn’t renew right away.
Kei12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What’s to come of subscriptions that go past Feb?
Not even a week ago I received an email notice that I’d better renew with only 4 issue left on my subscription, I’m really glad I didn’t renew right away.

I would like to know that too, since I renewed my subscription. Thats qite a bit of money and I only got 2 issues so far. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I guess ADV will have to find a new mouthpiece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I guess ADV will have to find a new mouthpiece.

You're a good poster here and are usually insightful so I'll take it easy on you, but this is an ignorant thing to say and tells me that you not only didn't read the magazine, you lazily inferred that it MUST be a mouthpiece because it's published by a company that sells anime.

Newtype had complete and proper editorial distance from ADV. ADV's marketing team had no easier a time getting coverage in the magazine than any other company. This is something I have personally verified on many levels. Even a cursory glance at the publication would tell you that they are obviously not favoring ADV.

Just clearing that up. This is a sad thing; it was a quality magazine and the people who worked there were really awesome. Sounds like they might still have a job, if ADV is in fact planning a new publication, so I can hope for the best.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
The internets killed the publications industry. EGM's only surviving, because they're charging more per page than the mag's actually worth. To have made it this far isn't bad, considering it outlasted Raijin, which was a helluva lot cheaper per issue. Anyway, it'll probably save money for ADV in the long run. I just feel sorry for all the people out of work.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
ADV has a good run with Newtype USA, and each issue was like a miniartbook in someways- extremely well laid out, full of lots of great art. I hope that ADV plans on publishing a new magazine...... they had enough original content in the magazine over the years that they could handle a similar magazine just fine [without having to pay licensing fees to Newtype Japan]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14