• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best anime; Not Childish

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anuin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
Ok...I know there is a thread like this alredy....but for this one lets minus out all the childish Stuff.....like cardcaptor Sakura and Azumanga Daioh. And Yes Naruto!! is acceptable; i dont see it childish at all (even tho its classified as a kids show on this website). Ohh...yeah..Please be sure to put your reason.

The reason i posted this is because i want to find a good show to watch, but with so many names posted, theres too many dumb shows flying around (most of which are for kids)

So then ill Begin Heres my Scale: (The fist three are a tie; too hard to choose)

Cowboy Bebop
One of my Favourites! is Cowboy Bebop. Besides the art and music, i love the characters themselves, i like how each episode compliments eachother....after watching it i felt like i watched a long movie. Although there is a serious theme, the show still keeps you laughing.

NGE
Neon Genesis Evangelion is Great too...gets a little wierd at the end...but i guess thats what makes it soo good....I think it makes you think alot and i like that kinda stuff...and in a way its in touch with reality. Not just a dumb robot fighting show....this is what hooked me on anime shows....before that i only had respect for the movies...like Ninja Scroll and Akira. Its not a show that will make you laugh much but it shares its witty humor like most animes.

Naruto
Naruto is next.....I only began watching it, but i watched every episode all at once and was heart broken to find that i have to wait for the next episode to come out. (like a bottleneck) though I guess its more intersting that way. Like in NGE, the main character isnt someone all that powerfull. He struggles for acceptence and is determined to get it. (shinji and his dad) Amongst all, the show flows like a long movie which makes you want to find out what happens in the next episode (moreso than Cowboy Bebop). Finally, theres good music, humor, blood voilence and great characters.

Rurouni Kenshin
Rurouni Kenshin is great too...Mostly the OAV, but the show is good too....sadly tho, the show really has no flow in it, almost every episode has a new concept and new plot, unlike Naruto. This show may be lower, but i haven't see that many episodes yet. Definately see the OAV its only 4 episodes (make sure you watch that first cause it explains how he became Batusai the Manslayer and how he fought for the new Meiji Era)

Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi muyo....might be lower on the scale but i haven't watched that many shows. Theres no drama or much voilence but its still funny. Might be a good partner with NGE, it will make you less serious and keep you laughing.

Thats it...for now. I started watching GTO and looks very promising. Tho Onizuka's perverted and wild nature can be a little annoying at times but then it just makes you laugh at the end. Wouldnt be surprised if it went all the way up the scale

Boy... this is long Rolling Eyes
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:06 am Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh is not a kids show....
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:14 am Reply with quote
Let the flame wars begin...
EMY23-23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
Anuin wrote:
Ok...I know there is a thread like this alredy....but for this one lets minus out all the childish Stuff.....like cardcaptor Sakura and Azumanga Daioh. And Yes Naruto!! is acceptable; i don't see it childish at all (even tho its classified as a kids show on this website). Ohh...yeah..Please be sure to put your reason.

Here we go, an idea. As clearly stated there is already a thread on this (many more than one). But you want one without the kids stuff correct? How about you read the other threads similiar to this one and cancel out whatever you think is classified as childish. I'm sure the other answers were great in those threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:26 am Reply with quote
I just wittinesed a flame war over at forum that will not be named and I just hope it doesn't happen over here. I'm not quite sure what your saying Anuin, it must be my headache at the moment. Hmmm I never heard of Azumanga Daioh before no idea if its a kid show or not..well I'm off to do some research on that series. If you want to know what my favorites are there under My anime and my list is public.

Last edited by Inu-Yasha on Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:41 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:26 am Reply with quote
BTW. Last I checked, Naruto was aimed for kids slightly above the Pokemon demographic...
EMY23-23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:28 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:34 am Reply with quote
Anuin wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin
Rurouni Kenshin is great too...Mostly the OAV, but the show is good too....sadly tho, the show really has no flow in it, almost every episode has a new concept and new plot, unlike Naruto. This show may be lower, but i haven't see that many episodes yet. Definately see the OAV its only 4 episodes (make sure you watch that first cause it explains how he became Batusai the Manslayer and how he fought for the new Meiji Era)

Erm, actually, it's better to watch the Tsuioku-Hen OVAs after the TV show. That way the emotional impact is heightened, as you're already familiar with Himura Kenshin as a peaceful rurouni, and are more or less thrown for a loop in seeing just how he became as such from being a brutal killer.

Anyway, I think these "favourite this" and "favourite that" threads are becoming a wee bit excessive again... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

EDIT: Of course...given the nature of one of my own recent threads, I probably just made myself out to be a big hypocrite saying that...

Last edited by Nagisa on Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:34 am Reply with quote
No drama or violence in Tenchi Muyo? Either you were skimming through the show or you've got one severely warped idea as to what's violence and what's drama.

Let's see.... Violence.

OAV Episode: Kagato Attacks! spoiler[Tenchi is reduced to a one-armed torso] OAV Episode: We Need Tenchi spoiler[Ryoko is beaten until she begins coughing up blood] 2nd movie; Daughter of Darkness spoiler[Mayuka rakes Tenchi's body with her claws, leaving deep gouges in his back. Then she's mercilessly whipped by Yuzuha. Not to mention the climatic Lighthawk Wings/Tenchi-ken/Ryoko flying around and blasting at stuff/lazer beam battle with Yuzuha] OAV Episode: Ryoko Awakens spoiler[Tenchi cuts off Ryoko's hand.]

and drama... let's see about drama.

OAV Episode: Here Comes Baby spoiler[We learn that Washu's first child was taken from her because her husband was a man of status.] 3rd movie: Tenchi Muyo in Love 2 spoiler[Tenchi is taken to a parallel universe and stripped of his memories of the "real world". He falls in love with the girl who brought him there, his grandfather's long dead first love, and even when he remembers Ryoko and Ayeka, he doesn't want to leave because he has fallen in love with the girl] OAV Episode: Sasami Tsunami spoiler[We learn that Sasami is assimilated with the Goddess Tsunami, but because she doesn't comprehend the assimilation, believes she's not the real Sasami and is deadly afraid of being rejected by the rest of the family.]

Jeez, drama and violence in the series along with heartwarming romance and well timed humor.

Try not to speak too lightly of the Tenchi canon on my watch. It's a series I take very seriously.

By the way, folks who regularly see me around, is it unhealthy that I was able to pull all of that information from memory?
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:44 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
By the way, folks who regularly see me around, is it unhealthy that I was able to pull all of that information from memory?

No, watching it 77 times is. Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:44 am Reply with quote
Naruto is incredibly childish. I like the show, but it's a series of extremely repetitive fights followed by three minutes of flashbacks followed by recapping the fight that just took place. The characters are somewhat one-dimensional and the emotions are all overplayed. There's no subtlety to the show at all; no subtext, no depth, it's just ninja action.

And it's for 9-year olds. But it's fun and I like it. I just don't pretend it's for adults. Neither should you.

-Zac
FirstExile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:54 am Reply with quote
Best Serious Anime:

12 Kokuki (or the twelve kingdoms if you search for it in amazon.com)

Here's a review and enough said:

One of the best anime I've seen so far.
I love the setting but also the plot is incredible indeed.
It never repeats itself.
Also even if the anime is set in a fantastic world it gives an incredible realistic feeling.
The world is realistic and quite complicated. The characters are well designed, they truly live, the make mistakes but also they learn.
They are no superheros.
The plot is realy superb, political intrigue, personal drama, epic tales and much more.
I cannot find any flaw in this anime.

p.s. of the many anime I seen, this one is the BEST. I came up with that conclusions after seeing 43 episodes in 2 days.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:05 am Reply with quote
Other people have already corrected you on the Naruto genre, so I don't have too now... Cool

Good NON-KID anime:

X aka X/1999 by Clamp - drama, death, violence, awesome characters, awesome story, awsome animation.

Chobits - ecchi this and that with cuteness, and eventually a pretty good story.

Escaflowne - this is in my opinion one of the best anime of all time. Animation = gorgeous, story = gorgeous, music = gorgeous *course it is, yoko kanno did it*, and everything else is great.

Fruits Basket - I have not heard of a single person who has watched the first dvd and not liked it. It touches a person on so many levels, and yet still manages to keep the person entertained.

Noir - good if your only looking for violence and chicks I only watched it for Clhoe >.>. I like psychos who quote Alice in Wonderland.

Full Metal Panic - one of those great shows that are entertaining for pretty much everyone on all levels.

I think that's a good enough list from me.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:28 am Reply with quote
For somewhat recent times:

RahXephon
Argento soma
X
Noir
Witch Hunter Robin
Haibane Renmei
Saikano

Were the recent top of my list.
AroundTheWorld

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:41 am Reply with quote
He said it couldn't be childish, not that it couldn't be a kids show, technicaly. I asume he means slapstick humor like One Piece, Excel Saga, and Azumanga Daioh

Sci-Fi Harry and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters.

Here's a description for Sci-Fi Harry taken from official Japanese site.. but a spoiler for the first episode..

spoiler[Harry Quinn is timid American high school boy who is always left out of his fellow classmates activities. The only one he has around is Catherine, who tries to console him and trust him. However, Catherine has a boyfriend, John, who is very talented and popular among his classmates.

One day, at the basketball game, Harry breaks a window by mistake. Because of that accident, Catherine is slashed up and wounded by the glass. Chris, a delinquent boy, and his gang blame Harry on that accident and procede to lynch him.

However, John tries to protect Harry and stop Chris. Chris then harbors a grudge toward John and kidnaps Catherine for revenge.

Meantime, with an ominous presentiment, Harry unconsciously comes to the place where Chris and his gang are raping Catherine. Harry's strong will to rescue Catherine brings his potential supernatural power in him, and suddenly buildings near there go to blowing up. Chris and his gang run away, frightened.

Without knowing that the power which caused the buildings to explode was caused by Harry, Harry and Catherine go to her house together. Catherine introduces Harry to her brother Eliot who hardly says anything to him.

While they are watching a TV show about a man of supernatural power, Harry becomes to realize that he has that kind of power as well. Catherine encourages him to practice more to develop his power.

Ever since that time, bizzar murders have happened around Harry every time he used his powers. Just what is the connection between Harry's powers and the murders?]

And Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters for the obvious. Great plot and characters, suspence and drama, all that jazz. Only bad thing is that there's more male fanservice than female fanservice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2