• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website - Update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Bushwack wrote:
I'm thinking the collapse of the dollar vs. the yen (and every other currency for that matter ) is at the root of this. They are running a pretty low margin business over here and now ADV has to come up with more Dollars to pay off the Japanese license holder. Last Year a Dollar would get you 120+ yen now it's 106! and it will probably go lower.

At the very least these products are going to be alot more expense.

Currently it's up to 107 but that does hurt the American companies paying the Japanese companies. And it's not just anime that is suffering in the economy. Retail in general and the recent prices in gas (though on a recede right now) are just a few of the examples right now.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Okay, NOW we can run around and say the sky is falling.
Heretic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I want my last DVD of Kurau: Phantom Memory goddamnnit.

Don't worry, you'll get it. I got mine today.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
Oh crap...

I wasn't worried before, but I am now.

If ADV doesn't want to comment about a particular issue it's ok, but they can't leave their costumers without any info whatsoever, because, if they do that, every R1 anime fan in the internet will start shouting and this whole thing will get bigger than it was supposed to.

I really wanted to get Keroro and Gurren Lagann, but I'm thinking that I'll never get to have those on a physical media :S

lol friend was on Gaia at school and they had a shit ton of threads saying "Help save ADV!" "ADV is shutting down!" I started to crack up when I saw those threads and I told him to post they were idiots. But Yeah ADV needs to say more shit on this subject before any more idiots start bitching.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
i hope that i can get the last dvd of ah! my goddess if not im going to be pissed. Im get sick of this what the hell is happed to the anime in the u.s. frist geneon now adv soon it time to speak japanese and get the hell out and move to japan.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I guess that's why I'm still waiting for my local anime store (the Anime Stop) to get Ah My Goddess TV series 2, volume 5.

While it's quite a bother for me to still be waiting, I suppose that it's nice to know that it's not a problem with the distributor the store buys from, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GodSlayer987

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
wilson_x1999 wrote:
Oh crap...

If ADV doesn't want to comment about a particular issue it's ok, but they can't leave their costumers without any info whatsoever, because, if they do that, every R1 anime fan in the internet will start shouting and this whole thing will get bigger than it was supposed to.

I really wanted to get Keroro and Gurren Lagann, but I'm thinking that I'll never get to have those on a physical media :S

lol friend was on Gaia at school and they had a shit ton of threads saying "Help save ADV!" "ADV is shutting down!" I started to crack up when I saw those threads and I told him to post they were idiots. But Yeah ADV needs to say more shit on this subject before any more idiots start bitching.
I'm one one of those topics right now Anime hyper
Sir Hamilton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
this is all so tiring. Drama drama drama.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
GodSlayer987 wrote:
Amiantos wrote:
wilson_x1999 wrote:
Oh crap...

I'm one one of those topics right now Anime hyper

Seems they died down a bit since I'm lurking through gaia's anime section and most have gone away.
N15PCA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
This is the start of the end to anime has we know it in North America.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Sir Hamilton wrote:
this is all so tiring. Drama drama drama.

If you want re-assurance you can read this.
Dr.G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Honestly, I don't see that this new item portrays a gloomier picture than the original. It more or less confirms that ADV has some kind of internal issue they're trying to sort out that most likely involves license arrangements, but that's it. People made paranoid by the Geneon situation (which had signs of trouble for months prior to its collapse, unlike ADV's current situation) and are jumping the gun on these predictions of doom.

Let's give ADV a chance to get their mess sorted out and then see what they have to say.

Yea I agree with you.

The ADV problem isnt about ADV its probaly more about a company ADV works with. THey are more than likely having problems with another party which is affecting some of their releases.

LoL if they were going out of business I would think more than a hand full of titles would be effected.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
I don't get it. What I'd like to ask is, why was a completely brand-spanking new news release made when the first "ADV Films Removes Titles From Website" article could have simply been updated/altered and bumped again? Not a single part of this announcement had much of anything new to warrant a completely seperate article. The ones who've been keeping track of this situation already noticed ICv2's article two days ago.

By just editing that article and bumping it up, we could have just redirected those who have zero clue of what's going on to the other thread, which is filled with people who were discussing the exact same thing. That could've buffered some of this fucked up panic we have here now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4