• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What type or genre of manga do you usually read?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Lots and lots of shojo (of the titles I'm collecting right now, I would say that half of them are from the Shojo Beat line), with a good helping of josei and seinan in there as well. So pretty much anything that isn't really shounen, with a few exceptions.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm positive that I have way more shoujo than any other genre...but this doesn't mean it's the only genre I read. Anime hyper However, I tend to not like shounen manga as much as shounen anime for one shallow reason: the art's almost never as nice and polished. :/
donbeiwest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I usually read sports manga and sometimes beshoujo.

Reading sports manga is quite different from doing and watching real sports. The characters always have special weapons and the dramas are always interesting.

My recent favorite is Hajime no ippo (はじめの一歩).
Because I can speak Japanese (intermediate +), I bought vol. 1-30 from Japan (second hand). I'll buy the later volumes soon.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Shonen and slice-of-life are the genres I gravitate to the most. The latter is my favorite, but I read more of the former.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'll read anything that sounds interesting or is recommended to me enough, but my favorite is shoujo. Smile I have a few shounen and seinen series I actively follow and love dearly, and I love josei when I can get my hands on it, but I can't get enough cute, fluffy shoujo goodness! xD Not that all shoujo is cute and fluffy, mind you.
PansyWansyLinsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
It used to be shoujo, and even then I was pretty picky and selective about what I read though. It's probably due to the fact that about 90 percent of shoujo heroines annoy me and of the shoujos that I do enjoy, the heroines are mostly just tolerable and not really likeable for me. Of course, I went through my Josei stage, but the pickings are slim for scanlated josei, so I haven't actively read much of that lately. Oh yah, and did I mention that I was picky? I also tend to gravitate towards slice of life as well, but yet again it's slim pickings in that area (in regards to scanlated/published works).

Right now, it's pretty much yaoi, boy's love, whatever you want to call it. In fact, I'm so obsessed with the genre, I don't even know if I can go back to reading shoujo, lol. If I had to break down my manga reading right now, it'd be 98 percent yaoi and the rest consisting of a smattering of shoujo and josei. I think the only shoujo or josei that I know I'll consistently follow would be Six Half and NANA -whenever the heck that comes back.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
All sorts but I tend to focus on publishers more than genres really.

Shogakukan - josei, seinen, shonen
Ohta Books - alt
enterbrain - alt
MediaWorks - seinen (lots of bishojo and moe titles; some media mix)
Kodansha - seinen and josei
Shodensha - josei
Hakusensha - seinen
Fujimi Shobo - shonen

If we do drill down to genre, I tend to read a lot of dramas, a lot of fantasy, sci-fi and sports. I tend to avoid comedies and 4-koma.

And I am a huge sucker for seinen romances and josei thrillers.
ProsesRoses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Shojo was really my thing for a few years but once you start reading a few of those and you mature - well you start seeing the same plot patterns and characterizations (omg do I hate stupid and clumsy heroines of most shojo).
I've read a few shonen (big three, reborn, code: breaker) but they don't grab me. They are just are needlessly too long and tournament fare bores me (I skip battle scenes a lot while watching anime).

Nowadays it's Josei with a dash of Seinin and selected shojo. Slim pickings but I don't have the time or money to dedicate myself to too many series anyway so I'm fine with my choices.
I'm a sucker for fantastical elements and historical romance. I like to check out alternative manga. I avoid horror and psychological thrillers.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Mostly Shounen series, sometimes seinen if I think the plot summery is interesting enough, but mostly shounen regardless of wether its action oriented or slice of life.

I do most of my "horizon broadening" with anime since most of the shonens I used to watch, I simply read because they seem to have the worst luck in adaptions (seriously not even being divided up in 24 ep seasons can save them from BS!) the sole exception being Hunter x Hunter.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Just want to point out that shounen, seinen, josei, and shoujo are demograhics not genres.

So that being said I will read something from all of those groups if it has a good story and characters.

I am not really sure what my favorite genres are. When starting out I might have said fantasy but that has changed. Although Fullmetal Alchemist is still my favorite manga series.

I do still really love stuff that is influenced by Japanese folklore: stuff like Mushishi and Natsume Yuujinchou

However I think my biggest surprise is since getting into anime and manga I've come to really love the sports genre. I've never been into real sports (except the Winter Olympics every 4 years) but there is something about getting to know the characters and their passion in sports series that really resonates with me.

That being said I tend to favor the more realistic side of sports series rather than the ones where the characters come off as though they have "super powers". My favorites in this category are Cross Game, Hikaru no Go, and Chihayafuru.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
I read the awesome stuff. Normally. Like dragon ball z, naruto, bleach, a lot of shonen jump. WOO!!!
thenix

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
Normally what gets me to read a manga is the art. But as for genre I guess usually it turns out to be shojou or sports. Shojou sports manga is pretty cool.
kookykonata

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote
I like a good variety of manga, but I would have to say that my favorite genre would have to be comedy and romantic comedy, such as Strawberry 100% and Gintama.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Primarily Seinen although I won't say I'm opposed to Josei either. Maybe a litte Shounen. I mean, I definitely don't follow any of the big Shounen Jump series and shy away from any more formulaic. A few things I've read are probably closer to Shounen than Seinen though.

As for more specific genres, rather than demographics, I really like Samurai stories. Either the relatively realistic Samurai stuff like Lone Wolf and Cub or Vagabond or the more fantastical Blade of the Immortal. Other than that, lots of Sci-Fi and a bit of Horror.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Its not an exact genre but I do love Slice of Life stories. Stories such as Yotsuba&!, Azumanga Daioh, Hidamari Sketch, Ouran High School Host club, and Bunny Drop. I especially love when they make me laugh out loud like Ouran High School Host Club (spoiler[I almost got in trouble at school one time because I was reading the Sports festival chapter and Nekozawa ended up freaking out because the stadium lights all of a sudden came on]) I also really enjoy Shoujo manga's as well (I own the entire series of Kitchen Princess and I'm only one book away from finishing the Sailor Moon series.) But I love Comedy manga's, School Life Manga's and Slice of Life manga's the most of all. And I'm continuing to pray for the day Yen Press announces they picked up the license for "Nichijou" and if not I might have to start reading "Great Teacher Onizuka" online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4