• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reportedly Selects Blu-ray Disc Format

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
ADV has seen who the format war's victor will be and joined the winning side. A logical business decision.
You're not just saying that because you have a PS3, are you? Wink
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Although this is good news for Blu-Ray fans, I still fail to see what is it about this format that sparks "revolutionary". From the way I see it, Blu-Ray is just the same DVD with double storage layers and greater space. I mean, what's to say that we won't see another kind of player like this in 5-10 years that can store an entire TV series in one single disc? Why couldn't we see an actual player more akin to what we're seeing in the iPod? If the next generation of players are more iPod based to the point where you don't need to buy physical discs, then I woud consider that revolutionary.

Don't mean to rib on Blu-Ray fans but that's just the way I see it right now. Confused

I hope that does not come to pass. I want to have shelves full of anime. I want to know that if the publisher and/or seller goes out of business i can still watch my shows. I want to be able to shop around to get the best prices. I want to buy used stuff. and i want to trade in the stuff i don't like.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Although this is good news for Blu-Ray fans, I still fail to see what is it about this format that sparks "revolutionary". From the way I see it, Blu-Ray is just the same DVD with double storage layers and greater space.

You're ignoring the whole HD aspect.
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Mobius Archer wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Although this is good news for Blu-Ray fans, I still fail to see what is it about this format that sparks "revolutionary". From the way I see it, Blu-Ray is just the same DVD with double storage layers and greater space. I mean, what's to say that we won't see another kind of player like this in 5-10 years that can store an entire TV series in one single disc? Why couldn't we see an actual player more akin to what we're seeing in the iPod? If the next generation of players are more iPod based to the point where you don't need to buy physical discs, then I woud consider that revolutionary.

Don't mean to rib on Blu-Ray fans but that's just the way I see it right now. Confused

I hope that does not come to pass. I want to have shelves full of anime. I want to know that if the publisher and/or seller goes out of business i can still watch my shows. I want to be able to shop around to get the best prices. I want to buy used stuff. and i want to trade in the stuff i don't like.

Owning content on physical media doesn't guarantee long-term use. Just try and play those great oldies you have on 8-track casettes, or retrieve that precious file you archived on a 360K 5.25-inch floppy disc. (^_*)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Well this is good news to hear. To bad it doesn't explain or relieve any of the current problems they are having. And it wouldn't make sense even if the article explicitly said that this is why they are having problems, which is why this is not linked to any of the previous reports about ADVs "problems".

I mean come on people, think about it. Moeyo Ken TV, in Blu-Ray? Give me a break. The line about possible future delayed releases is very clever, but has nothing to do with their current predicament. This is not me doom saying. I wish nothing but the best for ADV, but I am not going to read into something that isn't there. And I will jump for joy when we finally do get the all clear.

The real and only good news that is coming out of this, is that this is more confirmation that the format wars are coming to a close. Thank God, now I can finally start looking at players. Although I kinda wish 360's played BD, that would solve all of my problems right there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not ready to believe everything is okay now. This may be nothing more than an attempt to delay things long enough to work out the problems they're having. This news alone doesn't mean the problems are gone, but that they may have more time to deal with them.

Although I do admit this seems to be a sign of good things. Plus I'm glad they picked Blu-Ray since I will eventually buy a PS3. (Although given the ammount of time that will probably pass before I do, they might be rolling out the PS7 by then. Wink )

Sorry to be a doomsayer, but my confidence is shot lately.

Yes, this announcement seems like a good PR move to divert attention away from the recent panic.

It reinforces the notion that ADV intends to continue its current and upcoming lineup, but until the company states otherwise, we can't assume that they've resolved their licensing issues.

I love how people keep assuming things that were never said... As a nice little reminder, here's what was said:
PR Statement wrote:
While we can't go into any detail at this time,...

How this translates to a definite case of financial or licensing issues is beyond me. This is purely a case of people WANTing the sky to be falling. We've finally gotten some news about what they've been up to and now you're saying you won't be happy until non-confirmed/rumored problems are resolved? Pull your heads out of the sand people. They told us last summer during the Con season that they had a bunch of changes coming up and imo, all of this hubbub was predicted well in advance by those statements. I'm not the least bit worried. If you want to keep sweating about it, feel free. But I've got more pressing issues to worry about in real life, like keeping my job and paying my bills.

On another note, ADV already said they won't be releasing their back catalogue on BD anytime soon, which by "spring" will include Kanon, so don't hold your breath waiting for it. They're talking about releasing new series on BD first.

As for the format wars, when practically every major studio that isn't owned or partially owned by Microsoft is planning to release exclusively on one format, I think that format's the winner. And it won't fail, because even if people buy HD players, there won't be hardly ANY studios releasing movies on that format. They'll all be releasing on BD. End of story.
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
Owning content on physical media doesn't guarantee long-term use. Just try and play those great oldies you have on 8-track casettes, or retrieve that precious file you archived on a 360K 5.25-inch floppy disc. (^_*)

As long as you take good care of your stuff it lasts longer than the downloads will. i happen to have no less than 3 working 5.25-inch floppy drives at my house. unfortunately some of the disks themselves seem to just go bad regardless of how well i treat them. cds and dvds don't have this problem tho. i still haul out my 2600 and even my odessy 400 and they work just fine.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess the PS3 will be my first blu-ray player, like how the PS2 was my first DVD player. PS3 cost is around other blu-ray players prices, plus its a gaming system (With metal gear solid 4, one of the few games that actually looks good) so I might get that in a couple of years or whenever.

Im glad anime companies are moving up to higher formats. Going with the change, but I see DVD's staying here for a while. I rather have a movie that I can pop in a player rather than a downloaded one, but I like how companies have multiple ways of getting anime. Really want to get the DBZ Trunks movie on Blu-ray.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
How this translates to a definite case of financial or licensing issues is beyond me. This is purely a case of people WANTing the sky to be falling.
We don't want anything of the sort. Rather, we're not taking this report that has absolutely nothing to do with ADV's apparent problems with the financing group that helped them to license most of their recent series, as nothing more or less than "we like Blu-Ray. Maybe someday we release some stuff on it."

The issue of the financing isn't a figment of our imaginations as the leaked ICv2 article, which had been prepared specifically to deal with an expected hiatus annoucement, clearly showed. This bit of news doesn't say anything significant aside from what ADV intends to do down the road.

In other words, it really means nothing since the situation could change before they can do anything that they've suggested they want to do.

Now, ADV's not in the same state as Geneon was before it went bye-bye, but they've got some troubles. With the way current trends have been going, optimism doesn't exactly seem called for.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Well well it sounds good right? I have doubts, are they actually going to get the good masters that the Japanese hardly ever release to the American anime industry ? I think they will just take the second rate masters they have and put them on Blu-ray which will not be that much of an improvement.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

The issue of the financing isn't a figment of our imaginations as the leaked ICv2 article, which had been prepared specifically to deal with an expected hiatus annoucement, clearly showed. This bit of news doesn't say anything significant aside from what ADV intends to do down the road.

Ah, I must have missed that article... if that is actually out there, then so be it, but I still don't feel the need to work myself into a frenzy until they actually announce a "problem". And I wouldn't say I'm being optimistic. I'm just not being pessimistic. That's all...
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I'll be excited about this in the long run (and I'm definitely happy that ADV is still around), but given that I would have to buy a new player--and then a new tv if I wanted to take advantage of the extra pretty picture--I'm not planning to invest in Blu-ray or HD any time in the near future. DVD picture looks just fine to me. I like the idea of more content per disc, but that's not enough of a factor for me right now. (unless of course someone buys me and my fiance a fancy tv and player for the wedding or a holiday, in which case I will have no complaints Anime smile I'm not opposed to them, just lacking the funds)
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm happy. Anyway, a few pointers!

-If you need to have a bluray player RIGHT NOW, then go with a PlayStation 3. Its the only currently available player that's firmware upgradeable as far as I know, and there are numerous incompatibilities you will face if you go with most if not all other Bluray players.

-THINK before you make HD decisions!
There's a thread on animeondvd.com in the HD forum that goes into detail about the realities of HD and odd inconsistencies with some TV shows and OVAs. If it was a theatrically released movie (aka made on 35mm print), you can rest assured that you're getting benefits though.

-Even though there IS region coding, Japan is in our region! PLUS many Japanese BDs have English subtitles.

-READ REVIEWS on the actual QUALITY of BDs! HD doesn't necessitate good A/V quality! Sometimes they screw it up!

Hope that's useful.

EDIT: I mean us North Americans' region. Sorry to you other guys. If you have PC BD drives there's probably a utility you can run to disable that, or I'm sure the modding community will have some solutions.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
How this translates to a definite case of financial or licensing issues is beyond me. This is purely a case of people WANTing the sky to be falling.
We don't want anything of the sort. Rather, we're not taking this report that has absolutely nothing to do with ADV's apparent problems with the financing group that helped them to license most of their recent series, as nothing more or less than "we like Blu-Ray. Maybe someday we release some stuff on it."

In other words, it really means nothing since the situation could change before they can do anything that they've suggested they want to do.

Now, ADV's not in the same state as Geneon was before it went bye-bye, but they've got some troubles. With the way current trends have been going, optimism doesn't exactly seem called for.

I agree. While I think this might be taken as a "good sign" the news item isn't saying everything is OK. It also isn't clear if ADV Films plans on continuing DVD releases along with the Blu Ray ones. The item actually does say they're putting their DVD releases on the back burners for Blu Ray which isn't exactly a good thing for me seeing I don't own a Blu Ray player (and currently have no plans to buy one - dealing with the upcoming TV change over that's coming up in Feb 2009 takes precedence over Blu Ray at this point in time).

Also, they are talking about putting things on hold for a while to prepare some of the shows for this move. That to me sounds like they are planning on fixing up their back catalog for the move to Blu Ray more than everything has been cleared up Solijiz. Because I know for a fact that at least three of the Solijiz titles are already out on Blu Ray (Air, Kanon, and Utawarerumano) and I don't think it would take that much time to move those over to a U.S. release. Heck, these three titles are actually R1 Blu Ray, seeing the regions for Blu Ray are different than the Regions for DVD (the U.S., Canada, and Japan, are all in R1 Blu Ray). Why would they move them to begin with? They could just bring over the disks "as is" (and potentially charge a higher price, though I don't know enough about R1 US Blu Ray pricing to go down this road).

So I really am not taking this announcement, which is actually a "a hghly placed source" and not a official press release, as a "all's clear and everything is good and back to normal" deal. Do I think this is a fairly positive announcement - yes I do. However, I still have serious questions about what is going on and I just don't think ADV is out of the woods yet.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
-Even though there IS region coding, Japan is in our region! PLUS many Japanese BDs have English subtitles.

Here's the list of the current region coding situation (in case anybody missed it in the previous page). Looks like the site is starting to add Japanese releases to the list Surprised

MeggieMay wrote:
(and currently have no plans to buy one - dealing with the upcoming TV change over that's coming up in Feb 2009 takes precedence over Blu Ray at this point in time).

Are you aware of the Coupon Program? It really doesn't seem like it will be a big deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7