• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: School Rumble DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
A good score from Carl? This show must really be good. No, I'm not being sarcastic about this, either. I've been on the fence about this title, and I believe I've just been pushed over to the side of purchase. It's been a while since I watched a funny series. I could use a funny show about now. Thanks for the review.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this show, and I think the dub will make it even more enjoyable, since Funimation kicks ass.

Just a warning to those on the fence though. It's great fun, just be prepared for the STATUS QUO.
Battyfree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Just one thing,through.
Although I do enjoy SR as a series,I do feel that the entire thing is, simply put, overblown.This series,IMO, is just way overrated.

Let me say that I do not agree with the review of the first DVD through,in case someone says that I'm just bias.
Why do I say this?The main 'push' of the show,the main factor that fans claim to be extremely good,is the humor packed into it.

The humor in it,although is extremely funny,works in the way that jokes are executed in a one-by-one job(The jokes come flying in your way one at a time),not very similar to the jokes found in other comedies. It fires off at a hectic pace,and comes quick.

However,this is the weak point in it. From my viewpoint, the jokes come at a hit-or-miss pace. It's either rather funny ,or it might simply be a bore, or worse still, miss and hit the garbage bin.
Yes,it's that bad.For example, who expects to find a joke funny when it gets too stupid,such as the one when Tenma jumps on a bus and shoots arrow after arrow at her beloved one?(I could name other similar circumstances)
I know that some jokes are meant to be extreme,but it really feels like a lame attempt at making us laugh(Imagine someone pulling at your face to make you smile.-_-'''

But like I said,I do enjoy some parts,although sadly they aren't as plentiful as the 'miss' jokes.
Here's the catch.Even the jokes which tend not to go overboard,aren't that great.
Animation is decent,pretty good.
Music is superb.Catchy tunes really puts a simile to your face.

But the thing is,is it really deserving of a B+ grade?Let none say that I'm bias.I noticed that fans nearly don't mention the downsides in this anime.I know the animation is 2003 standard,but it really isn't B material,IMO.
The only impressive point in SR is the sound.Perhaps the characters.
Story?No.Execution?No.Animation?No.
I would rather give this anime a C,at the most.

I know that many of you out there will start to (sorry for using this word) scream at me,labasting at me-WHY DOESN"T THIS FELLOW APPRECIATE THIS ANIME?

But really,me typing out such a long comment shows my sincerity at raising this issue.I'm not showing off(-_-),but I really want to show how a few of us(not SR haters,just simply thinking it as overrated)
thinks about it.Let the minority show their opinions,ok? Wink

If you want to start a debate with me over this,I'm ok with it.
A forum is a place for discussion,not mass flaming.I didn't flame anyone,so let's not descend to that level.

P.S.You might want to know why I'm so defensive.I noticed that,when someone says something in a forum that does not match the opinion of the majority,even if he or she does not use any offensive words,flamethrowers(It's that bad) will fly towards the person in a split second.It's sad,really,that people would just try repeatly to flame someone just to get the other side convinced if their point.
Thank you for reading my overly-long comment.Have a nice day!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
Battyfree wrote:
P.S.You might want to know why I'm so defensive.I noticed that,when someone says something in a forum that does not match the opinion of the majority,even if he or she does not use any offensive words,flamethrowers(It's that bad) will fly towards the person in a split second.It's sad,really,that people would just try repeatly to flame someone just to get the other side convinced if their point.
You sound like a battle fatigued veteran from 4Chan. Welcome to the anime and manga division of the Veterans Of Foreign Forums. Wink
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see School Rumble getting a good review. Its admittedly my favorite anime comedy. It's not for everybody though, but I think a lot of anime comedies are really hit and miss. I liked Azumanga Daioh and School Rumble, but I didn't like Excel Saga or Pani Poni Dash, so in the end it's up to the viewer I guess.

I disagree with the rating for the dub, though. I'm not by any means a dub basher, I like dubs, but while the stars Tenma and Harima's voices are great, most of the others are mediocre at best, though they do get a bit better into the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I heard good things about the anime back in the fansub days, but ANN's reviews of the manga and the first DVD made me hesitant whether to invest on the series and now, I find it quite interesting that Carl gave the story in this volume a B after the C+ that he gave the manga volumes that he reviewed.

I think I'll make my decision after seeing how the next volumes will fare.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
A good score from Carl? This show must really be good. No, I'm not being sarcastic about this, either.

That is funny since I tend to think as Carl as one of the less harsher critics here. Then again compared to Theron's scrutiny (especially in animation) anyone seems like a pushover.

I actually enjoyed volumes 3 and 4 more than the first two DVDs. The shift of focus towards Harima works for me although I do like the idea of the very rare shonen romance series with a female lead (along with Karin and Diamond Daydreams) which is now debatable. Those magnets that are included are also really fun.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
I got tired of the stupidity of this series by the end of volume one (stupid fun only goes so far unless it's cleverly stupid - Excel Saga is a prime example of that), so I never bothered to watch volume 2. If the series gets this much better in the second volume, though, then I may to reconsider it as a rental option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Battyfree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Battyfree wrote:
You sound like a battle fatigued veteran from 4Chan. Welcome to the anime and manga division of the Veterans Of Foreign Forums. Wink

Haha,thanks.But I'm not really a veteran yet.

Yeah,I agree with you,Key.
Good comedy is one thing.Lame humor that just tries to pile up is another thing altogether.
The series remain in this 'bad jokes ' format for quite some time.
Through this is just my opinion.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who's hooked by School Rumble's increaing soap-opera style content(like I did) should know that none of it ever goes anywhere. At all. This series' true identity is as a gag show, so it never feels obligated to do more than screw around with the plot.

One of this series' flaws is that it plays around with a few characters for a while, gets tired of them, and moves on to new ones. I gave up on the thing after the second wholesale importation of new cast members, early in the second season. There must've been been 12 characters running around by that point!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1