• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Disney XD to Air Stitch! Anime Starting Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
How can the English dub be bad?

It's basically like a 4Kids dub. Music is changed, dialog is changed, poor acting, dub-induced plot-holes and so forth.

They try to make it seem like it's related to Lilo & Stitch when it's not (namedropping Lilo and stuff) There's an episode much, much later that does feature Lilo, but that was a mandate by Disney so they could make their dub 'canon', I imagine, since it's non-canon and never mentioned again or before (not to mention it doesn't even match what the dub originally said).

Disney's handling of the show left much to be desired.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
perfectblue wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
Too bad Disney US can't do their own dub of this show?

Given Disney's record for censorship and "reinterpreting", a Disney dub might be much worse. You could see entire scenes chopped out, or the dialog dramatically changed. In some dubs they change the dialog in the early episodes without having first watched the later ones which can lead to characters completely contradicting themselves later on, or key events later on making no sense as the introductions in earlier episodes have been removed\written differently.

Actually from what I've heard, Disney is pretty much responsible for this English dub.

@TitanXL I've seen cast lists. It looks like it has a very good cast together, plus EDEN RIEGAL (an Emmy Winner...) playing the lead character! I've never seen the Japanese dub, so I can't compare. I guess I'll just have to see if I like it on it's own! Does anyone know if this is going to be reshown? I won't be able to watch it weekdays at 9am.

It can't be worse than Tokyo "Mew Mew Power"! 4Kids didn't watch ahead, and they STILL changed things! It became obvious when they made Pudding/Kiki a homeless girl at first, then we see her house, and they had to clarify that everyone THOUGHT she was a homeless girl. Fortunately, they didn't make Kiki herself acknowledge it! That English dub had many other problems, and I've never seen a worse one out there (except for cheap ones from Animax Asia with actors that can't speak English, and even those are so bad, they're funny!)
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
Disney X-D is really meant to be the more male-oriented version of the Disney Channel, so while animation does have a role there, its main focus is on live-action shows (namely comedies), which dominates most of their primetime lineup.

Stitch! may eventually be the only anime on Disney X-D (I'd be surprised if Naruto: Shippuden even lasts the rest of the year there before they pull the plug)...

Which in my view would be better off. It was a mistake for the series to be even broadcasted by them in the first place.

Hopefully CN would be able to get the broadcast rights from those ediots, especially since the new FMA has completed it's run and Bleach is about to either go into hiatus mode or go into filler mode , even though the next filler arc sounds interesting and may even be better than the bount arc.

Also i would probably avoid this series. Since it's a Disney kids series, even though it's originally an anime, expect to see massive 4kids style editing from the original anime script.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Hopefully CN would be able to get the broadcast rights from those ediots, especially since the new FMA has completed it's run and Bleach is about to either go into hiatus mode or go into filler mode

Uhh, why in hell would Turner/Warner get broadcast rights to a Disney property, redo it and air it at night?
Dude, do you think about what you write ever?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Hopefully CN would be able to get the broadcast rights from those ediots, especially since the new FMA has completed it's run and Bleach is about to either go into hiatus mode or go into filler mode

Uhh, why in hell would Turner/Warner get broadcast rights to a Disney property, redo it and air it at night?

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Naruto Shippuden, not Stitch.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Well, it already apparent that Cartoon Network is not interested in Naruto anymore. In these times, it better not to have so much faith in Cartoon Network; it's not the same as it was anymore. Of course that doesn't leave you with must to trust, but consider yourselves lucky anime is still on American television.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Of course I was talking about naruto. At least NJ had it right than the other guy. then again,i'm not susprised since he is a nelvana supporter who's as bad as the horror that is 4kids & Have preety much given up on anime on TV.

I'm preety sure it might happen. It's obivious that Disney have given up on it and once they do, i can see CN claiming the broadcasting rights,and probably put it on the AS block.

And with G4 broadcasting those marvel based anime series, Not to mentioned CN have the broadcast rights to Durarara, even though the entire series is on DVD, it's obivious to me that anime on US TV is still alive if only barely. It may be down, but it's sure as hell not out by a long shot.[/b]

Sure I may be naive,but at least i still believe that it could make a comback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
So kind of a random question, but does anyone know why it seems DisneyXD only has stitch! on their schedule for this week.... according to my DVR nothing past episode 5 is going to air anytime soon, wonder if that means this weeks is just a preview or what...

But then again my DVR only goes to November 8th right now... But yeah that is...kinda weird.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Well, it already apparent that Cartoon Network is not interested in Naruto anymore. In these times, it better not to have so much faith in Cartoon Network; it's not the same as it was anymore. Of course that doesn't leave you with must to trust, but consider yourselves lucky anime is still on American television.

Ever since Cartoon Network eliminated Toonami, CN hasn't been the same and CN itself hasn't been since then. It's fairly apparent that CN is not interested in Naruto (a show I thought did well on their network?) or any anime in general it seems these days.

But like WeirDIE_InC, I really don't have much faith in CN anymore. Some of have said they have lost of their focus, I imagine that is fairly true.

However, the amount of channels still show anime isn't as large as it once was and the only network I still wach anime from is from Adult Swim every Saturday to watch Bleach and Durarara.

But to be honest, it's just plain luck that AS has been showing anime for long as it has and they could easily remove it from their block, so I just feel lucky there is any anime on TV these days. Much less unedited (to a extent) anime as well.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Ever since Cartoon Network eliminated Toonami, CN hasn't been the same and CN itself hasn't been since then. It's fairly apparent that CN is not interested in Naruto (a show I thought did well on their network?) or any anime in general it seems these days.

But like WeirDIE_InC, I really don't have much faith in CN anymore. Some of have said they have lost of their focus, I imagine that is fairly true.

However, the amount of channels still show anime isn't as large as it once was and the only network I still wach anime from is from Adult Swim every Saturday to watch Bleach and Durarara.

But to be honest, it's just plain luck that AS has been showing anime for long as it has and they could easily remove it from their block, so I just feel lucky there is any anime on TV these days. Much less unedited (to a extent) anime as well.

We are getting way of topic. Personally I thin CN has gotten MUCH better since their recent rebrand in 2010. (their CARTOON NETWORK people, NOT anime network, they still show plenty of animation. And I for one enjoy alot of toons to air on there between 2010 to now) Heck CN is a hella better then Nick or Disney's networks atm.

Anywho BOT: Wonder what exactly Disney planes to do with Stitch! They arn't advertising it at all, and again it seems for now anyway eps are only airing this week.

This reminds me of what CN did withthe 4kids TMNT series back in 04, aired eps without advertisments and didn't even mention the show till they put it on their short lived Miguzi block.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Wonder what exactly Disney planes to do with Stitch! They arn't advertising it at all, and again it seems for now anyway eps are only airing this week.

Disney probably doesn't even know what to do with Stitch!; what with rebranding and demographic adjustments, things that used to fit in don't anymore. That may explain why it hasn't seen broadcast until now. My guess is that since it seems that they're obligated to air it, they'll blow through it and take it off as soon as possible.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the "Stitch!" anime and I see some hope for it. My biggest problem is with the performances. They seem somewhat flat. And I didn't expect that because Studiopolis also has some pretty good performers. I think it's a case of waiting until things improve. They might. It's going to take time.
I must take issue with TitanXL's attack on 4Kids. Whatever else you think of 4Kids,they have some pretty talented actors. I've seen the dubs they did with both "Pokemon" and "Yu-Gi-Oh." They're very well-acted. They deserve at least that.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I must take issue with TitanXL's attack on 4Kids. Whatever else you think of 4Kids,they have some pretty talented actors. I've seen the dubs they did with both "Pokemon" and "Yu-Gi-Oh." They're very well-acted. They deserve at least that.

Seriously? None of the voices in YGO fit the characters at all, and you get characters like Dan Green who over-act and ham it up so much they sound like William Shatner or Adam West when they're supposed to be playing a cool, confident, and mysterious person. Not to mention all the accents from Jounouchi being a New Yorker to Ryou being British make no sense.

Pretty much the same with Pocket Monsters, none of the voices really fit their original personalities and the acting is very flat and monotone. Kasumi is one of the best characters in the original series because of her personality, but in the dub she's so boring and flat and 'nice'. Granted, that also has to do with edits/script changes, but the voices wouldn't really fit the original dialog as well from what I've seen.

Companies here pretty much never give kids shows good dubs, because they know kids will watch and lap it up regardless of how little effort is put into it, which is a shame. Stitch! doesn't seem to break that formula.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Pretty much the same with Pocket Monsters, none of the voices really fit their original personalities and the acting is very flat and monotone.

The Pokemon dub VAs are actually quite popular among Pokemon fandom. You should see their panels at cons.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Well if they're a fan of the dub that's not too surprising they'd like the dub VAs, though I'm sure the huge nostalgia factor of early 20 con goers doesn't hurt; and trying to convince someone not to listen to their nostalgia is borderline impossible. Doesn't really change the fact they were pretty mediocre and changed the characters, though, especially after Ash suddenly sounded even more like a girl (I forget when that actually happened.. but the early voice was definitely deeper than Veronica Taylor's later voice for him) Though I'd still take them over the current PUSA voices, at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4