• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sakura Wars' Taishō Romandō Shop & Sakura Cafe Closes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkMirage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
I loved that place. Anime cry

That said, it's not somewhere that you'd visit twice...
randomx999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
That was the only reason for me to visit Japan. Anime cry
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
Wow. I've never been there, but it sounds amazing. It's sad that it's closing, but how impressive that a shop and cafe inspired by an anime series was able to be open for over a decade. (Almost makes me want to try and give watching Sakura Wars another try. . . )
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
This thread is useless without pictures.
Hesquidor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Wow. I've never been there, but it sounds amazing. It's sad that it's closing, but how impressive that a shop and cafe inspired by an anime series was able to be open for over a decade. (Almost makes me want to try and give watching Sakura Wars another try. . . )

The Sakura Taisen TV series/movie is, to be quite frankly abyssmal. The OAVs are quite insightful but only to those you are familiar with the plots of the games. If you ever do get a chance to play the games do grab it - they're really good.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
were the games ever translated at all, I'm pretty sure they were not patched in english but did anybody write a english translation guide or something. Did the games play more like a visual novel or more like an rpg or something.
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I only watched the movie and it was horrible. Gave me a bad taste in my mouth. Not just cause of the horrible negative american propaganda but the characters and story were written bad and wasn't interesting. I'm guessing the only good thing about the series are the games and not the animes.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
That means this is the "game over" for the whole franchise, right? That's bad, since I really love Sakura Wars, but even SW is not a match for more famous sagas like Gundam or Evangelion, I'm afraid...
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
sakura wars is pretty old though, it was bound to happen sometime since nothing last forever no matter how good it is.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I do suppose it's time to visit this place before it closes... I'm home for winter break but I get back to Japan in March, so I'll have to get down to Ikebukuro and visit. Maybe I'll even get to see one of the events! I adore seiyuu. Smile

cloud1989 wrote:
sakura wars is pretty old though, it was bound to happen sometime since nothing last forever no matter how good it is.

Not quite true. The original games did come out a bit ago, but Sakura Taisen V just came out in 2005. They also have side games that come out every now and then, like a DS game coming out next month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
That means this is the "game over" for the whole franchise, right? That's bad, since I really love Sakura Wars, but even SW is not a match for more famous sagas like Gundam or Evangelion, I'm afraid...
I guess this is a consequence of "the entire franchise sinking to the bottom of the ocean" as Zac recently said in the Answerman column.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I guess this is a consequence of "the entire franchise sinking to the bottom of the ocean" as Zac recently said in the Answerman column.

I can say that for STIV, but STV got a lot of flak it didn't deserve, IMO.
As for the anime adaptation, it never stood out. The TV series greatly diminishes Oogami's influence (and that's a mistake), the OAV series are mostly sidestories (first two series for example), the movie, well I liked it even though it wasn't the most original thing in the world (and the CG could have used more frames). The NY OAVs were the real disappointment for me, since most of them are basically wasted (other than looking INCREDIBLY cheap).
The game franchise is still going on, a dungeon RPG for the Nintendo DS featuring the whole cast (not sure about NY, didn't check) is scheduled to be out this year, there's also a MMORPG going on, but only for China as far as I know.
Mauru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
To sad the cafe is closing, but this cafe demonstrates how famous sakura taisen is in japan, too sad in other countries people only know it by the anime, the anime is not much compared with the sakura taisen games, wish according to top best games of all time famitsu, sakura taisen scored 13th and was in top of a lot of popular games like Final fantasy 8, Resident evil 4, Xenogears Super Mario Bros, Tales of the Abyss etc.. just because the cafe is closing doesn't mean the franchise is ending a new game for the DS is coming in March and the New York OVAs were just realesed. Sakura Taisen may not compare with Evangelion or Gundam AS AN ANIME but as a game, they don't match sakura taisen, The games were first than the anime, the anime could be considered something for "the fans of the games" like the ovas created from games like Tales of Symphonia, The games of sakura taisen were the core of the franchise and they were the most famous games in japan in some point.

See the wikipedia article under the section of reception for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakura_Wars
uragayduck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
This really breaks my heart seeing as how this franchise is probably the most important one in my books. I owe a lot to this series because it was the one that taught me how to read and understand japanese. It was my way of self teaching Japanese to myself and it helped me a lot in the long run. There was a translation guide which literally translated the whole games of ST 1-3 (with almost all of 4) so it was a good way of understanding what was happening.

And for those that saw the anime of this series but didn't play the games, don't judge it by that alone. The anime doesn't cover the beauty of what this series offered. It was amazing that this had to stand up against the Final Fantasy VII onslaught that was brought on at the time of the first game's release on the Sega Saturn. If I remember from my Gamefan Magazine (loved that mag), it was right behind FFVII in terms of sales/popularity. What's more, the remake of the first ST game on the PS2 entitled Sakura Taisen: Akistuki Chisio Ni received a 35/40 while the more recent Sakura Taisen V: Saraba Itoshiki Hito Yo got a 37/40 from Famitsu. How many dating sims/strategic battle games are able to receive that high of a score from the prestigious Famistu people? Not even those action oriented games get that high of scores at times.

As an ST fan, it's a sad farewell which was hard enough when ST4 was made which oddly enough was suppoused to be the finale of the series. Like the others said before me, pick up the game series to get the real deal and not some cheap anime alternate telling. You'll probably even be able to pick up some Japanese while playing it like I did ( ^ __ ^ )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1