• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haruki Murakami (Looking for a Book)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
This question isn't related to any anime based novels but just a good novel in general. Thanks to the recent poll done by Anime News Network, I've learned a bit about a writer known as Haruki Murakami. I believe he's very popular, and I'm assuming his work isn't limited to Japanese only.

So, I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on him, and suggest a book or two for me to check out. Furthermore, any good novel recommendations in general or another writer would be a great help.

I don't read as much as I should for someone who wants to be a writer but since a lot of my inspiration comes from Japanese created worlds, characters etc. I might as well continue looking for inspiration from writers in Japan. Makaoto Inoue's FMA novels are the only ones I'm familiar with in terms of books written by a Japanese writer. And, I thoroughly enjoyed them (well I am an FMA freak as well, so it's hard not to enjoy them).

If it helps in any way in making a better recoommendation. I love Fullmetal Alchemist, Grave of the Fireflies, and many Hayao Miyazaki pieces. I'm not sure if that's relevant but from what I know Haruki Murakami mainly writes fiction. Which is great but in terms of making a specific recommendation or what type of book I'd enjoy, it could help.

Thanks in advance. Smile
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
There's a Murakami thread just a few down from this one here in the novels forum, so you should look at that first.

Murakami Wikipedia page

Murakami Random House website

If you do a Google search for him you'll find a ton of stuff.

As far as recommending one of his novels based off of what anime you have seen, that's really difficult. I can't think of a single anime I have seen that would compare much at all to the Murakami novels I have read. I'd say that if you are interested in him, read a few reviews and just pick one of his novels based on what sounds good.

Personally, I enjoyed Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I have had Norwegian Wood recommended to me as well though I have not had the chance to read it yet.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. Those two are the ones I've heard about being recommended around here. I shall begin my research then. Razz
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I can't seem to find the thread that I saw the mention of Haibane Renmei being inspired by one of Haruki Murakami's books. I think it was Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Could someone clarify this for me please?
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
I can't seem to find the thread that I saw the mention of Haibane Renmei being inspired by one of Haruki Murakami's books. I think it was Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Could someone clarify this for me please?

Yes, that is the book you are looking for. I've also read that The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was a small influence as well (I'm pretty sure it's just the prominence of wells in both).
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
Great! Thank you. Smile
Time and Space

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:36 am Reply with quote
I'll throw in a recommendation.
For some light reading (well, mostly dark in content), try the short stories of Ryunosuke Akutagawa: a very well known and appreciated writer in Japan, even despite committing suicide at a young age. Some truly exquisite creations exist from the pen of this troubled man.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I will surely look into it. Smile
Fuusamurai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:01 am Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
Furthermore, any good novel recommendations in general or another writer would be a great help.

well - I recommend this book to many as possible: "the unbearable lightness of being" by Milan Kundera.
He is (of course) not japanese - but I think most people will enjoy it -its a very philosophical book.
Milan Kundera is a Czech writer who is very acknowledged for his work. And if you want to be a writer, I think you should get to know him:)

Hope you will read it:)
r-18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote
you might try " Across the Nightingale Floor " and the other 3 books in that series: grass for his pillow, brilliance of the moon, and harsh cry of the heron. " all by Lian Hearn.
there is the classic tales of gingi ( not sure of spelling ), also "autumn bridge and cloud of sparrows " by Takashi Matsuoka . sorry about the spelling on some of this. as a side note across the nightingale floor has been sold as a possible movie, lets hope they don't butcher it. i really hope this sub-forum survives as i would like recommendations as to which books would be good, I'm mostly into the samurai feudal era stuff.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
r-18 wrote:
you might try " Across the Nightingale Floor " and the other 3 books in that series: grass for his pillow, brilliance of the moon, and harsh cry of the heron. " all by Lian Hearn.
there is the classic tales of gingi ( not sure of spelling ), also "autumn bridge and cloud of sparrows " by Takashi Matsuoka.

Lian Hearn has also written a prequel to the Tales of the Otori, titled Heaven's Net Is Wide. Truly excellent series, can't recommend it enough. I've read Cloud of Sparrows, and it was okay.

The Samurai's Tale and The Boy and the Samurai by Erik Christian Haugard are pretty good.
r-18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up on the Lain Hearn book and the recommendations .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1