• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Anime Revises Projected Revenues to Historic High

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Awesomeness, well done Toei.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The power of One Piece Very Happy
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
wait, I thought piracy was killing them... you know, enough to arrest a 14 y.o. for uploading some One Piece scans on youtube
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
For the entire fiscal year, the predicted revenues will rise from 24.2 billion yen (US$318 million) to 29 billion yen (US$381 million)

Is that all for an entire year? the most popular franchise in Japan and there revenue over a whole year is only $381 million.

I thought Toei was one of the largest anime studios in Japan so I thought this would be quarter revenue not yearly.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
wait, I thought piracy was killing them... you know, enough to arrest a 14 y.o. for uploading some One Piece scans on youtube

Is it required by law or something at this point when any time there's any good financial news for anyone in the industry there's always gotta be the "pffft i thought you said piracy was killing you!!!!" guy who thinks he's blowing everyone's mind with his oh-so-original comment

They're actually making money in spite of the millions of people who rip them off, it's a win.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
they own one piece and pretty cure.
those're two of the only anime series that make any real money, so..
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
configspace wrote:

Is it required by law or something at this point when any time there's any good financial news for anyone in the industry there's always gotta be the "pffft i thought you said piracy was killing you!!!!" guy who thinks he's blowing everyone's mind with his oh-so-original comment

They're actually making money in spite of the millions of people who rip them off, it's a win.

Sorry but you are wrong ANN Executive Editor.

You forgot a "tiny" part = Historic High.

Meaning Toei has NEVER managed to get this much revenue, to not say much, not even when internet was not existent.

So no, you are wrong. Toei is making money they have never achieved before, of course the franchises Toei cites do not depend of DVD sales but merchandise....you get my point? The most people that watch the series and get hooked to them the better...if you know what I mean.

Of course this is different in the US so companies like Funimation make a drama and lie about piracy.

Of course I understand your ground ANN Executive Editor, you work for or depend on how good US anime companies do..so I expect you to take their side and be defendant in cases like this, however other like me are objective and take neither side.

Last edited by dan9999 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

While I don't support piracy at all, it's really hard not to be a bit cynical when companies cry a poor mouth over illegal downloading, then announce record profits. It does make it very hard for me to have any sympathy for them. In many cases there seems to be a disconnect between what they say is happening to their profits due to illegal downloads and the reality of their balance sheets. I think it’s reasonable for people to point this out.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Zac wrote:

While I don't support piracy at all, it's really hard not to be a bit cynical when companies cry a poor mouth over illegal downloading, then announce record profits. It does make it very hard for me to have any sympathy for them. In many cases there seems to be a disconnect between what they say is happening to their profits due to illegal downloads and the reality of their balance sheets. I think it’s reasonable for people to point this out.

Exactly my point. When entertainment companies post their profits the lies become more evident.

Same happen with music, games and movies reporting record sales, of course no one working in that side will say that thanks to the internet and sharing their entertainment becomes popular WORLDWIDE.

So yes, thanks the millions of people (not only in Japan but Worlwide) that can now know of awesome series like One Piece and Suite Precure they got record revenue. Good for them so congratulations to Toei. One Piece is simply too awesome for words and this reflects on the profits.

I can only remember the thousands of dollars I spent last time I was in japan in the anime character street and multiple Jump stores I visited all over the country, mainly in One Piece and Dragon Ball merchandise.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Exactly my point. When entertainment companies post their profits the lies become more evident.

Well, good on you for embracing the sensationalist movement and not actually bothering to develop any sort of argument.

"They're lying! Soylent Green is people! The anime industry is actually a fat cow and all those companies struggling to make ends meet or filing for bankruptcy are just for show!"

I've stated multiple times now on the BD/DVD rankings threads that there is definitely an increase in sales happening this year. Seeing that also occur in merchandise for things like One Piece isn't at all unexpected.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
For the entire fiscal year, the predicted revenues will rise from 24.2 billion yen (US$318 million) to 29 billion yen (US$381 million)

Is that all for an entire year? the most popular franchise in Japan and there revenue over a whole year is only $381 million.

I thought Toei was one of the largest anime studios in Japan so I thought this would be quarter revenue not yearly.

Toei is one of the largest anime studios in Japan. They have Toriko, One Piece, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Pretty Cure, Digimon, Fist of the North Star, etc. all under their belt.

This should tell you something.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

....Meaning Toei has NEVER managed to get this much revenue, to not say much, not even when internet was not existent.

uh, yeah. The article does say "Historic High". Of course, that adjustment is dependent on all sorts of economic factors linked to currency and the world economy, etc., and has very little to do with piracy.

dan9999 wrote:
So no, you are wrong. Toei is making money they have never achieved before, of course the franchises Toei cites do not depend of DVD sales but merchandise....you get my point? The most people that watch the series and get hooked to them the better...if you know what I mean.

Of course this is different in the US so companies like Funimation make a drama and lie about piracy.

"Make a drama and lie". Huh? What "drama" are you talking about? How is copyright infringement enforcement any different here than in Japan? (other than the fact you are more likely to go to jail in Japan. Here in the U.S. you most likely will just pay a fine.)

dan9999 wrote:
Of course I understand your ground ANN Executive Editor, you work for or depend on how good US anime companies do..so I expect you to take their side and be defendant in cases like this, however other like me are objective and take neither side.

No, you are not objective at all. And you are SO obvious.

Yes. The ANN Executive Editor, as you say, has a job in the industry. The more prosperous an industry is, the more likely they will create jobs, both here and in Japan. I don't understand how you can be "objective", and not see that. Me? I'm in favor of people having, and keeping, jobs. Both here and in Japan.

Maybe this news will allow Toei to create more jobs. Its good news.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Kind of hard for piracy to kill mainstream stuff. It's the less known products that gets hit the hardest.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:

Please point me to a statement made by any Toei executive that directly indicates they have publicly "cried" about their ability to make money being eaten alive by piracy.

The company attempting to enforce the law and protect the product they create using legal means is not them "crying about piracy", it's what any reasonable business would do. Your argument begins from a place of entitlement that isn't based in any sort of legal reality.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The company attempting to enforce the law and protect the product they create using legal means is not them "crying about piracy", it's what any reasonable business would do.

I have no problems with companies enforcing their legal right to distribute titles they own or have the rights to (some of the methods used to enforce copyright laws, i.e. "three strikes and you’re out", are rather unethical and grossly unfair to those accused of illegal downloading in my opinion, but that's another argument). Maybe I should have a bit clearer. I didn't mean Toei in particular, just the industry in general (e.g. see GDH International's Arthur Smith's comments a few years ago). There was a lot of doom and gloom, yet pretty much what they were saying never eventuated. And we know damn well that fansubs haven't been eliminated. Well, Toei is obviously doing something right.

Zac wrote:
Your argument begins from a place of entitlement that isn't based in any sort of legal reality.

You going to have to explain this one to me. What exactly am I claiming to be entitled to?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2