• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-02-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukusho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Hit the nail square on the head with this one.

Its so true though! Back where I live, its normally not too bad. There will maybe be one or two kids sitting around reading and blocking away. My friend dragged me to a Borders last weekend in the mall close to our university (which is about 2000 miles away from where I live) and the manga isles were cluttered with brats. I think I almost died when I saw some 12 year-old reading Death Note.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lemon-bitter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
RiskyTheShinigami wrote:
quartears wrote:
so true, I literally can't walk through the manga aisle when there's a con nearby. Stupid kids evERYWHERE!

The Borders in Baltimore during Otakon was such a mess! I had to literally hop over people to get through the section.

The worst part, though, is people who read the manga with sticky hands, or bend the book waaaay back, thereby curling the cover and/or ruining the spine. I'm really anal about having nice book covers, so I can't buy a manga that someone else has already had their paws all over...

I know what you mean. I won't buy something that''s not in good condition either. >.<

But I just can't believe how rude these people are being! Don't they realize, that hey, even if they aren't going to buy, someone else might want to, and might actually want an unbended cover and pages sans greasy fingerprints? I actually had to put back one manga that I had been looking foward to buying because it was so damaged. It made me so mad, because it was the only copy there too. Evil or Very Mad
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
OMG!!!!!!! THIS ONE REALLY MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!
Hahahaha. The positions of the "orphans" in the manga section are so hilarious! [My favorite panel] ] I can't tell you how many times I've seen teens actually eating some Chinese takeout while reading manga on the floor of the bookstore. Some really lie down sideways just like in the comic. Anime hyper Awesome strip. One of my faves. Very Happy

Also, Nina looks a lot like the girl in the new ANN commercial.[ I saw it in ANOD. The one with the guys barging into the room and screaming.]
Sonata-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
*looks away from manga-cow-eating crowd*

So who's Robin Sevakis?
evildeathpie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
At least you all HAVE manga sections! All I got is three six foot shelves in a hobby shop TT.TT. Squeezed right between Warhammer and an old Simpson's arcade game...
millstrife

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
Just stumbled onto the comic and loved this one. Even though I haven't been in a Barnes and Noble in a long time, I do remember kids reading manga in the store not unlike the scene in this comic.

I went and read all of them up to date and they are pretty enjoyable! Keep up the good work Robin!

-MS
sinisterorion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
if you guys want to buy a manga at a barnes and noble (might work with borders too, not sure) do what I do and have them order it. Since I get a 30% discount I like getting my manga at b&n but since I work there I've seen what people do to the manga and a lot of them are bent and spines bent, so I just order myself a copy to the store, it does take like a week to get to the store but the manga comes straight from our warehouse so it wouldn't be in any other customers hands and theres no extra charge for it.

another nice thing about it is that there's a much larger selection of manga to order then in the stores, pretty much anything you find on the website you can order to the store so you can get hard to find things and know that it'll be in good condition, it's how i got the missing Cardcaptor Sakura volume I've been needing
coolGAL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quote
LMFAO I know how Nina feels at the end lol the baseball bat OH NO I hate when they have to sit right in the middle of everybody's walking space A good huge majority of Book Stores that I have been to have these things called Chairs I wonder if those people have heard about it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Laughing
Sadly I once encountered someone sleeping on the floor in the manga section like in that third panel. Ah, freeloaders! Rolling Eyes
. Holy crap for real Actually Sleeping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
Sonata-san wrote:

So who's Robin Sevakis?

Are you seriously asking or just being facetious?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Sonata-san wrote:

So who's Robin Sevakis?
In case this was a serious question, she's the talented lady who writes and draws Anime News Nina! and is also responsible for ANN's mascot Jadress.

All hail her for creating the now insanely popular Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX as well.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Uh-oh, I am very guilty of this in bookstores, whether it is manga or something else. But before someone whacks me with a bat I shall say in my defense that I try to keep out of the way and not to read for too long (and I usually buy something as well).
Sonata-san

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Hmm, I was being serious I guess. I reread my post to see if my tone was facetious in any way and it seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Richard J. wrote:
In case this was a serious question, she's the talented lady who writes and draws Anime News Nina! and is also responsible for ANN's mascot Jadress.

All hail her for creating the now insanely popular Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX as well.

Thanks.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
Sonata-san wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

Hmm, I was being serious I guess. I reread my post to see if my tone was facetious in any way and it seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Richard J. wrote:

Thanks.

It's hard to tell sarcasm online often and since you didn't use any emotiocons I wasn't sure. She also goes by the name of Jadress here on the forums.
Seishi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
I live in BC, Canada, and I've never seen this once. Then again, I order most of my manga online these days thanks to ridiculous Canadian pricing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9