• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-02-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sommerstars8o8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quote
My god i work in Borders i know how Nina felt yestrday at work this boy was all over the floor , then after he done he freaking put the manga in the wrong section with the page bend and all .
I suppose to get off work around 7 pm but i didn't because i was replacing the bend page and spine with a new one and but all the manga in the right place . Mad its gets really tiring but hey i get paid doing this .

But still i dont mind people reading the manga like the first 5 page then buy it But Reading the whole thing on the floor , then put it back in the wrong freaking place its gets me all pissed off .

Anyway the comic is awesome and so true .
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
Huh, never had that issue in the UK... in fact, I've never seen anyone ever even looking at the manga shelves whenever I'm in bookstores. I think I'd almost prefer it if there were people lying around reading manga ^^;
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:55 am Reply with quote
Great comic. This touches on one of the most irritating aspects of anime fandom today (not sarcasm). Buying manga in stores is such a hassle, because when I'm trying to walk through the manga aisle in a bookstore, someone is blocking half the shelf because they've decided to sit their fat ass down in front of it with no regard to anyone else who might be interested. I hate these inconsiderate morons. Sometimes I'll walk around to other parts of the store and hope they'll move or something, but then I come back and of course they haven't. No, I won't ask them to move. I will not converse with such people!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
Ok this will sound sarcastic but I mean this in all seriousness; for all those that complain about the manga cows have you ever tried telling a staff member? I know it's retail and all but they should do something, and if they won't you can always ask for the manager. I do it routinely. Of course I am a total prick and gain personal satisfaction from making other people's lives difficult. Even if it's something as small as making some ignorant little brat pick his lazy ass up and move it 20 feet to a chair. It's still a victory for me. In this day and age customer satisfaction means more to many stores then just about anything (except sales of course) so if you complain loud enough you're 95% sure to get some staffer to do something. You could also go around to other customers and tell them how the kids are ruining books and mention how rude it is. If they won't listen to you they might if you bring 3-5 more customers with you. And yes I have done that before, and yes my heart skipped with glee when the little brat gave me a dirty look as he was told to move. Seriously, just go to the staff and ask nicely, then demand if they blow you off, for them to tell the kids to not sit on the floor. If nothing else it's a fire code violation and I'm pretty sure they'll make the kids move if you drop that on the manager on duty.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
LOL Awesome!

It is frustrating, but as someone said, it's not limited to the US. Try getting through a Book-Off's manga section in Japan! It always kinda annoyed me, but with the way Book Off runs *encouraging people to sell back old stuff and then selling manga at prices as low as 100 yen* they probably weren't worried about having people read in the aisles anyway...It is annoying though, if you actually go to buy a manga and the covers are all bent back.
Kaelis Ra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
This problem is chronic in my local Borders. I've been progessively buying less and less manga from there and more and more from online sources, simply because oftentimes when i find a volume I want in Borders, it's all but demolished. I'm not talking about covers bent here... if it's a popular series, e.g. Bleach, you'd be lucky to get away with a bent cover. We're talking food stains, torn pages, worn-off corners... these people are an insult to all legit manga readers.
boznia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote
Usually the manga section is empty of any people at my local bookstores. Sad Anyway, one day while visiting one of the stores, I nearly trip over this young guy who was sitting on the floor reading a manga. I couldn't believe I got to see one of these people. It was like seeing a rare animal at the zoo. Smile
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
Not a problem in most Philippine bookstores since almost everything is wrapped in plastic. Lack of returnability for imported books due to shipping costs in all likelihood. Not being able to browse is a slight problem. On the other hand books are tax-exempt, so in a lot of cases the sticker price is lower than direct conversion of the U.S. cover price.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote
Oh what a sad truth this is.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
YES! That's the way to handle it! Good job, Nina! Laughing

At the Barnes and Noble I go to I may encounter one person doing this, two at most, but usually it's pretty empty. At another Barnes and Noble I went to there were half a dozen teenagers standing in front of the shelf reading manga. They were all Asian.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
This has become an increasing problem at my Barnes and Noble. Luckily they moved the manga section up front right next to the registers, so there are almost always staff to watch the area. I think they were having a problem with kids stealing the manga as well as blocking aisles. I too have begun buying more manga online because there's nothing more annoying than buying a volume and finding out that page 23 has been destroyed by grease stains. Mad
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
Strangely, it's not manga cow grazers thats a problem in my local Waldenbooks.

It's the little old ladies who stand in front of the manga aisle reading the backs of each of the romance novels that the store puts on the aisle ends. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
You know, it's actually no different in Japan.

Although most new book stores shrink wrap everything, in USED bookstores like Book off you often have people standing there reading.

Plus, in the convenience stores there's always 5-6 people standing there reading the manga magazines.

They usually don't sit down on the floor, though.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, Kevin was wrong, Nina looks like she really does know how to vent her anger well... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I love Nina in her coat, so cute! Kevin's clearly been around long enough he's very cynical about everything, it's a perfect counter to Nina's bright cheerful new-found zeal. His dead-pan delivery to her always comes across well.
Keep up the great comics Robin!

I never look at manga in a store, I have a comic shop guy who orders me anything I ask for, I would undoubtable spend too much if left to browse through countless series.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
HaHA! Manga cows! Destroy, Nina! Destroy!

I did a whole rant on manga cows once. In the Largo Borders I don't see them a lot since they actually use the chairs. I did get to pwn one punk kid for doing that. really those who rea just stand or go to a chair and not lay out on the floor.

At another borders I seen an entire bunch of them. I guess it depends on the place.

Last edited by Viga_of_stars on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9