• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-02-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Boy, this one really hit home. I hardly ever venture into bookstores to buy manga because of the obnoxious "orphans". Thank goodness for inter-net stores.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
tl;dr warning~

I live in Wichita, KS... a place where the population of older anime fans seems to be outweighed by the sheer tsunami of teens getting into the fandom. So, of course, I've encountered this problem.

Like others in this thread, I too am most concerned about the amount of destruction that occurs when grazers read through books. In fact, one Borders in my area has an obnoxious habit of removing any and all shrink wrap from manga. So when I spotted the newest issue of Robot on this store's shelf... it had already been covered in greasy little fingerprints. Of course, that doesn't even address the fact that those books contain mature material...

The other Borders in town leaves on the shrink wrap, but there's been more than one occasion where I've witnesses grazers removing it, hidden away from employees Rolling Eyes Nothing beats the time I found a rather large, 40+ woman doing this indiscriminately to a stack of yaoi manga... *shiver* I hope I never become like that Confused

I swear, if I had a dime for every time I had to step around 12 year old girls reading 18+ yaoi... Well, I'd have a lot of dimes. Perhaps enough to bribe said stores into paying attention to what they're letting out onto the shelves, unsupervised...

(/end rant)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
Oh noes! Now no one can buy over-priced manga because they have to crawl through a pile of narutards to get it! Rolling Eyes

Seriously ya'll there are way better options than buying your manga from B&N/Borders. I'm not defending the people who do this, I'm just surprised that anyone still pays $10+ per volumes for manga.

Believe me though, this isn't limited to manga. I've seen people sitting in those armchairs or at a cafe table reading entire novels at once. I've even seen people take newspapers off the racks in the front and just read them in the store. I just don't think the stores care anymore. I mean, they make the majority of their money online and the chains themselves probably make more money through the cafe than through book sales.

Apparently your average bookstore-goer today can't shell out 35 cents for a newspaper, but will gladly buy overpriced coffee at the cafe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
HAHAHAHAHA SO TRUE!

Whenever I see kids sitting in the manga aisles, reading while I'm trying to pick some out, I wanna kick them and tell them to buy some or get lost, this ain't a lending library! Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
NeoMaster1 wrote:
Ah yes, manga cows grazing away, blocking the gate to the manga farm. Razz

I think you owe Answerman $1 in royalty for using that word, since he coined it first.

i'm pretty sure he didn't. i can remember people using it as far back as 2004. it's a pretty common term.

edit:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=manga+cow

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Wow, Kevin was wrong, Nina looks like she really does know how to vent her anger well... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Viga_of_stars wrote:
HaHA! Manga cows! Destroy, Nina! Destroy!
Nina displays her wrath in much the same way I wish I could. Unfortunately, if I really did let my temper go, there would be blood.

Usually I just avoid the irritation by ordering online, but sometimes when it's there in the store and you want it right now. . . . Anyway, I'd like to add an example of a GOOD manga grazer. I was in a Borders one time and a girl was on the floor, reading. She got out of my way and, after she'd read the latest volume of Fruits Basket, left the manga section with the volume she'd been reading and several others.

I presume she bought them but I didn't follow her.

Of course, I've seen plenty of rude, manga-damaging little cockroach people too. (Oh how I long to step on them. Twisted Evil )

Hysterical Nina! I love how she thought they were homeless orphans. It's such a perfect condemnation of the whole moronic phenomena. What, are all anime and manga fans charity cases?
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
So very, very true! These poor orphans... They're just so malnourished. Poor things don't seem to have the strength to be able to move out of the way even when my foot "accidentally" hits them in the face.

This is a serious pet peeve of mine. I've worked for places that sell manga before and am also a paying customer in bookstores so pardon me if I get up on a soapbox about it.

For one, they're a fire hazard when they clutter the aisles like that.
Second, there's the issue of damaging the books. Who wants to buy a book w/a warped cover, broken spine, and greasy finger prints all over? And then you have the problem of them destroying the manga section almost completely because do they bother to put anything back where they got it from? Of course not. The problem is that, from my experience, a lot of the staff at these stores don't care much for the manga section either. There will usually be maybe 1 or 2 manga people there who might care about the state of the section. The places I've worked that sold manga, I usually ended up the only one who gave a damn about the anime and manga sections and kept them really, really nice, but my coworkers who weren't into anime and manga just didn't care. So I was left to take care of that section by myself. A lot of the staff gives up because of these people instead of trying to fix it and it just makes it bad for everyone.
Third, they get in the way of paying customers. It's a real nuisance when you go to a store and are actually trying to buy something and you've got to wade through the narutards to get to it! And you can say what you want to justify it like "well, if they didn't want you to read in a bookstore, they wouldn't have chairs" and "people read whole novels in the store", but that doesn't change that it's annoying as hell. And usually the people reading novels in the store aren't sitting on the floor. They've got the sense to find a chair or some place out of everyone's way.
I've started to "accidentally" kick or "nudge" these people or pretend that what I want is just behind them so that I disrupt them and make them move, hopefully making them feel like an ass for being in the way in the first place.

I like to think I'm a pretty nice person most of the time, but I just don't tolerate this kind of thing anymore.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
Yes I have this problem too but luckily for me the Chapters in my area doesn't have a lot of kids interested in reading. So usually I would be able to freely move about without asking someone "Excuse me but can you move so I can browse through the section?" Sometimes when I can't stop reading a certain manga I would usually just stand there so it does not bother anyone.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
I really loathe manga cows, one time I was unfortunate enough to discover a booger on a page of "Love Hina volume 3" I had bought previously from a Waldenbooks.
Keito.chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
Why can't Nina come to my Borders? If she beat those kids (as opposed to me), then I wouldn't get in trouble! Twisted Evil
Manga is my domain in the store (no one else dares touch it), so I hear Nina's suffering. Trying to restock while they're all there is fun too. And forget trying to find anything, we find manga squirrelled away all over the store which no one intends to buy, but they want to make sure is there for the next time they come to "use the library'. Add on top of that, the ones who think shrink-wrap is just there for decoration and can therefore be removed and tossed behind the shelf, (and the pissy parents who then see a formerly shrink-wrapped item and determine that manga is satanic and shouldn't be allowed in the hands of children (it's on the other side of the store, but that doesn't mean a curious three year old didn't see the pretty colours and wander over.) Oh, this is the story of my life.
Maybe this will raise awareness and promote better behaviour!
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Huh, never had that issue in the UK... in fact, I've never seen anyone ever even looking at the manga shelves whenever I'm in bookstores. I think I'd almost prefer it if there were people lying around reading manga ^^;

I know what you mean... I'd think that there was no one who likes Manga in the area, if it weren't for the fact that I walked in the other day to buy a few volumes of a few certain titles, and they were all gone! Every volume I wanted to get... and I had a list Anime cry
I knew they were there the day before... T__T

Clearly, there's some Manga fan out there who likes the exact same things as me, but is operating on a schedule a couple of hours ahead of time. Some new kind of more efficient me. Confused

I've never even seen a whole Manga aisle in a general bookstore... it must be... wonderful.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
Oooo, I can relate to this. The manga cows really annoy me. I want to give them lectures on manners and economics every time I see them, but I know it would be a waste of breath. However, I think I'm going to start complaining to the staff. I didn't know I COULD until I read some other posts in this thread (I was under the impression that the stores simply allowed the reading as policy and sucked up the loss). I rarely encounter damaged items--or, rather, I see them but they're not volumes I was planning to buy--but I frequently find people blocking the shelves who don't seem to want to move.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
Poor, poor Nina. What the dear girl has gone through concerning anime/manga fandom!

I'm going to have to go with the majority and say that I hate manga cows. Every now and then I'll come across one who will go "oops, sorry!" and move out of my way. But usually, they will look at me with dead, dull cow eyes with complete and utter incomprehension.

And I have said something to the bookstore employees and they usually shrug and say that they try but they keep coming back and grazing.
SakuraAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
yeah... i pretty much have just gave up on books stores unless they have a sale or something =___=;;; I've seen those guys around a couple of times.

but what they have left behind is how i know they were there in Webster we only have a Barnes and Nobel it's pretty clean too :]
but! in the borders a half an hour a way all the manga are filthy! and bent it's gross :[ I don't want to pay 10$ to get some crappy filthy bent up manga :/ if i have to pay 10$ I'm going to want it in new Condition.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
I really loathe manga cows, one time I was unfortunate enough to discover a booger on a page of "Love Hina volume 3" I had bought previously from a Waldenbooks.
O_O something similar happened to me involving a booger. EWWWWWWWW!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9