• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-02-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
No Nina!!!!!!!, a bat is not the solution...

Nuking them from orbit is the only way to be sure of getting them all Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
JNOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Nuking them from orbit is the only way to be sure of getting them all Razz

Actually, I was thinking of something "from the sky", too. Do bookstores that have this problem have visible cameras over the manga section? If they don't, they should, as it would let the manga grazers know that they are being watched.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Nina! Got get 'em!

Just one request please, please post the pictures of a clean undamaged manga isle. I would love to see one once in my life.

Also:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Ok this will sound sarcastic but I mean this in all seriousness; for all those that complain about the manga cows have you ever tried telling a staff member? I know it's retail and all but they should do something, and if they won't you can always ask for the manager. I do it routinely.

Actually I have tried and I was given a resounded "whatever" by the store staff. Then again I hate my local B&N because they use security tags that damage the books. Sadly people here don't care.

To the Borders staff member who corrects the bad books thank you I wish you were at my Borders. Crying or Very sad
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't so much have a problem with the reading (I've done it waiting for a movie to start next door), but the sitting! Do they HAVE to sit on the floor in front of the shelves!? B&N makes a lot of chairs available for this, just go off and find one and if you insist on sitting on the floor do it somewhere else. I honestly don't know why book stores don't have signs up telling people not to sit on the floor, that has to be a safety/fire hazard.

Another awesome comic, Robin!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asako

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Heh, speaking of crowded aisles, maybe one day someone should trip over another customer who's sitting in the aisles and sue? haha I dislike the idea of suing for stupid reasons, but perhaps something better might come out of it Anime hyper
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
So true, so true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:

Actually I have tried and I was given a resounded "whatever" by the store staff. Then again I hate my local B&N because they use security tags that damage the books. Sadly people here don't care.

To the Borders staff member who corrects the bad books thank you I wish you were at my Borders. Crying or Very sad

I too have this problem with my B&N sometimes. I have picked up manga to inspect it and found the security sticker stuck right in the middle of the book. Why put it there!?! All it does is obscure the page and rip it if you try and remove it.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, standing can be a problem if there's enough of them. The only time I had that problem, though, was in a Japanese bookstore. And it must have been the end of the school day. All standing in a row, mesmerized, not moving. It made a very effective wall. Smile
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Man, that's so true. Half the time whenever I go the closet borders to my house, there's those people... Sometimes I'm scared to go looking in there because I'm afraid I might fall, really. If I fall I could easily break a bone... if they notice me then they move (as I use crutches to walk) but still... the good thing is I usually go in the middle of the week when's no one there, that's the only time I could go safely.
rob_pait

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
At the Borders near my college, the problem got bad enough that they began shrink wrapping EVERY manga volume and graphic novel in the store to solve the rat problem. Now when I buy manga, I have to remove enough plastic to get to the sweet sweet manga center that it takes a couple of minutes using a utility knife.

Back at home, where the borders has done nothing about the rat problem, its allmost impossible to get undamaged goods. Enough come after school every day due to its proximity to a middle school that the staff have given up on trying to deal with hydra-esque problem and have resigned to putting a library cart near the manga section for them to return the manga they are done with to, so the staff can at least put them back in the right spot. On a Saturday, the cart is normally full by noon.

Stupid manga rats, they make me embarassed to buy manga, can't we just introduce them to piracy so they can read for free in the comfort of their own homes?
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Ok this will sound sarcastic but I mean this in all seriousness; for all those that complain about the manga cows have you ever tried telling a staff member? I know it's retail and all but they should do something, and if they won't you can always ask for the manager. I do it routinely. Of course I am a total prick and gain personal satisfaction from making other people's lives difficult. Even if it's something as small as making some ignorant little brat pick his lazy ass up and move it 20 feet to a chair. It's still a victory for me. In this day and age customer satisfaction means more to many stores then just about anything (except sales of course) so if you complain loud enough you're 95% sure to get some staffer to do something.

I'm an old-school "free reader" & still am sometimes. In the "Good Ol' Days", when I read comics from the spinning rack, the store owner would confront you if you stayed too long. "Are you gonna buy that or not?!" Mad You would be surprised what a little embarassment can do... but if big box book stores don't care or are too afraid of negative reaction, maybe that's why "manga cows" still graze... MOOO! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully, I haven't been in this situation a lot, but it has been happening more frequently as of late in the Borders I go to. They just sit there in the middle of the aisle, and I have to zig-zag my way through to get my manga. Mad Go get 'em, Nina! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eviltimes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Awesome Nina goodness !!!

So, Chief, all ya have to do is... Hit! Hit! Hit!

Cool
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey, that's me y'all are talking about! Laughing

Nah, actually I don't have nearly a probelm with it these days as I used to. And even then, as well as now, I always tried to find a chair of some sorts. Only problem is, in the B&N in our town, THERE ARE NO CHAIRS!!!!! Evil or Very Mad There used to be, but for some odd reason they decided to get rid of them all. And even when I sit on the floor to read, even then no one seems to have much of a problem with it, not even the other people walking through. They usually just politely say "Excuse me" and I politely say "sorry" and move. Although I don't do this in the SLC B&N though, they actually have said chairs and tables I can go to. Rolling Eyes

And I also try to leave everything I read in the same condition as it was before, so you don't have to worry about that either.

In any case though, like I said, I don't do this nearly as often as I used to. I used to do it with anything I ever read, nowadays I only do it with series that are already considerably well into it, then buy the volume that I left off with and keep buying it from there, or when I want to preview a series I eventually plan on buying. Although I will say though, as at least respectable as my collection already is, I can't help but think it'd be so much better if I bought everything I've ever read in the store. I do eventually plan on doing it however, but for now it's kinda a hard thing for me to do.

So please, dear Nina, when you go back to that bookstore with your bat, please make sure to notice me and avoid taking me out! Anime smile + sweatdrop
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
stuckinfresno wrote:

Then again I hate my local B&N because they use security tags that damage the books. Sadly people here don't care.

I too have this problem with my B&N sometimes. I have picked up manga to inspect it and found the security sticker stuck right in the middle of the book. Why put it there!?! All it does is obscure the page and rip it if you try and remove it.

The ones in the middle are usually the "good" ones that come off with only a little trouble as long as you pry it off slowly. The ones that are in the covers are the nightmare ones, as they are permanent and you seriously cannot remove these without ripping and bending the cover. I've complained several times to Borders, and have given up, and refuse to buy any manga from them unless I luck out and find one of the removable kind in the middle.

Oh, and the "bat needs some nails" comment that someone made at the beginning of this thread was hilarious. Very Happy

Last edited by kyokun703 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9