• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shaman King Manga's New Ending Anticipated in 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
To clarify still further: 32 volumes in the original edition; it basically plays out normally until the last two chapters which basically slap a lightning fast ending on. Funbari no Uta being an epilogue.

The new edition will be 27 volumes, with 380 additional pages. It will presumably remove a small portion of the original ending and continue the story from there; it may well still have Funbari no Uta, which takes place after the theoretical ending anyway.

And not to derail this, but One Piece gets better with every arc, and stands a good chance of unseating all your favorites eventually.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
So all this talk about volume 27 then? Is that when the series started sucking or something? I don't know though, from what I gather on what some have said in this thread it sounds to me like the last volume was the one that sucked, but the rest of the series was okay. So confusing! Anime dazed

The 27 volumes refers to the condensed editions coming out in Japan, where each individual tankoubon will have more chapters than the originals and each cover will feature a different oversoul + shaman. Which, of course, we have little chance of seeing stateside, since Viz is barely halfway through releasing the manga as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
To clarify still further: 32 volumes in the original edition; it basically plays out normally until the last two chapters which basically slap a lightning fast ending on. Funbari no Uta being an epilogue.

The new edition will be 27 volumes, with 380 additional pages. It will presumably remove a small portion of the original ending and continue the story from there; it may well still have Funbari no Uta, which takes place after the theoretical ending anyway.

Okay then, I think I've got it all straight now, thanks you guys. Anime smile + sweatdrop I'll probably just get the volume (if it comes out stateside, that is. You never know Wink ) that leaves off where the original left off then, since I'm only really concerned with story and not so much new cover art/more chapters. This Funbari no Uta sounds like it'd be pretty interesting though, so if it isn't included with the new releases I think I'll go ahead and buy the last volume of the original as well.

Quote:
And not to derail this, but One Piece gets better with every arc, and stands a good chance of unseating all your favorites eventually.

That sounds very promising. Cool Can't wait 'till I get that far. Although Naruto's been getting better for a while now as well, so you never know. Wink
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
This Funbari no Uta sounds like it'd be pretty interesting though, so if it isn't included with the new releases I think I'll go ahead and buy the last volume of the original as well.

Eh, don't kid yourself; it's about as close as SK ever gets to utter brain rape, although I have a feeling that part of the reason it was so confusing was that the scanlation group I got it from liked to work while stoned. I'm not even sure how it was originally published - was it like one of the normal Funbari no Uta shorts they have at the end of each novel?

As far as the releases go, though, I'm pretty sure Viz will just release the new ending as a 33rd volume and leave all proceeding volumes untouched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AsakuraX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric- I'll try to help clarify as well. Razz The ending of the original 32nd volume wasn't exactly an "ending." It was more like a story, unfinished.

Just imagine a story, but it ends right in the middle.

In other words, the manga was did not become crappy at any particular volume. It was just that leaving the manga off where it was would make the ending "crappy." Get it? Razz

Anyways:

Original Manga: 32 volumes (volume 32 has the Funbari No Uta, a short epilogue which takes place 7 years later, meaning in 2007)

Reprint Manga: 27 volumes (380 pages more than the original manga)
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
I'll probably just get the volume (if it comes out stateside, that is.

I would not be surprised if Viz works out some way to add the extra 380 pages, and probably go to volume 34 for the English edition. You'll have to ask them, though.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Eh, don't kid yourself; it's about as close as SK ever gets to utter brain rape, although I have a feeling that part of the reason it was so confusing was that the scanlation group I got it from liked to work while stoned. I'm not even sure how it was originally published - was it like one of the normal Funbari no Uta shorts they have at the end of each novel?

Wow, they liked to work stoned? Shocked No wonder you gave up on scanalations......

In any case, if it's an epilogue I'm sure it'll be pretty good. I agree with you about how I'm not too much a fan of those shorts at the end of the volumes though. They can be funny, yeah, I just prefer not to read them very much is all. But I'm always for a good epilogue story in the final volume, especially in hearing how much a lot of people on here liked it so much.

Quote:
As far as the releases go, though, I'm pretty sure Viz will just release the new ending as a 33rd volume and leave all proceeding volumes untouched.

Yeah, from what you and Andrew (and Asakura, to some extent) are talking about, it just sounds to me like Viz will probably just do a vol. 33 and 34 for that part of the story, that would make sense. I wonder though if Funbari no Uta will be in 34 instead of 32 in the Viz version then? Who knows....

AsakuraX wrote:
I'll try to help clarify as well. Razz The ending of the original 32nd volume wasn't exactly an "ending." It was more like a story, unfinished.

Just imagine a story, but it ends right in the middle.

In other words, the manga was did not become crappy at any particular volume. It was just that leaving the manga off where it was would make the ending "crappy." Get it? Razz

Yeah, I get it. Thanks. Smile

It was one of those endings then, huh? Wink Kind of like how Zombie Powder ended (there's others I can think of, but I'm too lazy to think of them right now. Razz ). And for the same reasons as to why Zombie Powder was canceled it sounds like. Such a shame too. I mean, I really think that no matter how crappy the success (or lack thereof) is for a series, they should at least allow the author to finish his story for heaven's sake! Rolling Eyes Anyways....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3