• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Expands Office, Distribution Space

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Hm... a new location to increase distro. Maybe they could offer their services to Geneon, for a fee, so those series that were still worked on could actually be released. *futile wishing*

I don't think there's much hope of offering their services for free. But it'd be nice if a deal could be worked out so at the very least, the series that were left unfinished (Black Lagoon, Rozen Maiden) could be completed.

So since Voltron is over now, does that mean we finally get the rest of Gaogaigar soon?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Don't they still have Car Volton or so some such CRAP to deal with?

And as for this expansion? Wow, they can afford to do such a manouver, you know, inspite of them being the seceond most tight-arsed company with anime? (the first being Bandai visual)

Guess Genshiken is goin' sans dub to fund this nonsence.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Don't they still have Car Volton or so some such CRAP to deal with?

And as for this expansion? Wow, they can afford to do such a manouver, you know, inspite of them being the seceond most tight-arsed company with anime? (the first being Bandai visual)

Guess Genshiken is goin' sans dub to fund this nonsence.

Vehicle Voltron or Voltron I if you mean the Voltron adaptation of Armored Fleet Dairugger XV and that crap as you call it is MB's best selling title ever. and yes I like Voltron. Wink

And those actions by MB is what's keeping them running well in this gloom and doom R1 market.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow. THis is good. Maybe they'll be smart and at least pick up a few of Geneon's old titles that coupld be profitable somehow cheap.

ruro niko wrote:
I too am glad to hear of an anime company expanding instead of downsizing.

Now here's hoping they'll finish GaoGaiGar and bring over Kamen Rider: The Next since they have The First.

Yea. We can only hope.

Niko? That you?
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Serge wrote:

Same here, I'm a Sub only fan, and it's great not to be paying $10+ Extra for a Dub I never even watch, plus I get more Episodes on a DVD too as there's more space!

With Phoenix and the upcoming Kujubiki Unbalance, both included dubs and were offered at the same price as their subonly discs with similar episode counts, so it's a winning situation all around for fandom, really. MB are really pushing things forward [without going overboard]
So what the !@%*!*@#* is wrong with dubs? For me that's the only motivation to buy R1 dvds-if I want subbed anime I'll watch fansubs!!
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
So what the !@%*!*@#* is wrong with dubs?

They're expensive, and lead to series not always being profitable (this is bad Wink ).
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I love a few of their releases. The most recent one being Ramen.
Hopefully, they'll get more excellent series like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
F8TE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
At last, some good news from the front. It just about makes my day.

Quote:
I love a few of their releases. The most recent one being Ramen. Hopefully, they'll get more excellent series like that

Ramen Fighter Miki was a great title, given the right cast I think it would have made a great dub.

I'd like to see the second season of Genshiken dubbed but i'm just happy knowing Media Blasters is doing well.
Celes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
zrdb wrote:
So what the !@%*!*@#* is wrong with dubs?

They're expensive, and lead to series not always being profitable (this is bad Wink ).

True, true, very true, but alas, I only buy anime so that I can watch it in English, otherwise if I really want to see something I could always just import it (but that hasn't happened yet in my 10 years of anime fandom). I'm sure that is motivation for quite a few anime purchasers out there!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
Mobius Archer wrote:
Great! I love Media Blasters.

Same here, I'm a Sub only fan, and it's great not to be paying $10+ Extra for a Dub I never even watch, plus I get more Episodes on a DVD too as there's more space!

Sorry, but your numbers are a bit off. The cost of a dub is minimal, and the money that dubs bring in due to it increasing sales by providing the option generally makes up for the cost since it promises higher sales with all but niche titles. The costs you're paying for are nearly all the cost of licensing the series from the studio overseas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
Good news for the US industry, Yay the sky isn't falling.

Laughing

It is rather nice to hear that a company is expanding rather than pulling back, isn't it.

Especially one that has never been a very big company per se. I mean that as in compared to the amount of titles licensed and released from other companies. But yes it is nice to see some growth instead of decay.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Vehicle Voltron or Voltron I if you mean the Voltron adaptation of Armored Fleet Dairugger XV and that crap as you call it is MB's best selling title ever. and yes I like Voltron. Wink.
Then, frankly sir, I view you as the problem rather than the solution and thanks a bunch for rendering the £50 that I spent on GaoGaiGar up to this point to meen nothing. Yes, thanks a whole load for that.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
Vehicle Voltron or Voltron I if you mean the Voltron adaptation of Armored Fleet Dairugger XV and that crap as you call it is MB's best selling title ever. and yes I like Voltron. Wink.
Then, frankly sir, I view you as the problem rather than the solution and thanks a bunch for rendering the £50 that I spent on GaoGaiGar up to this point to mean nothing. Yes, thanks a whole load for that.

I do love my GaoGaiGar box 1(filled with dvds), and I'm hoping MB releases The King of Braves out of Hiatus, because The Best is Yet to Come!!!! and if you're going to drop it because lack of a dub... Tough Cookies I'm in it till the End!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
Hm... a new location to increase distro. Maybe they could offer their services to Geneon, for a fee, so those series that were still worked on could actually be released. *futile wishing*

I don't think there's much hope of offering their services for free. But it'd be nice if a deal could be worked out so at the very least, the series that were left unfinished (Black Lagoon, Rozen Maiden) could be completed.

So since Voltron is over now, does that mean we finally get the rest of Gaogaigar soon?

I don't think Wyvern meant for free. Geneon was trying to put a deal together with ADV which fell thru. I"ve been thinking MediaBlasters is our only hope for stuff like Shonen Onmyoji or Saiunkoku since they have shown a certain loyalty to the chick (yaoi) audience. Or maybe it's the smut audience (hentai). Funi expressed interest in Hellsing & Black Lagoon, but we haven't seen any results announced. unless Geneon is killing the deal by insisting on the whole catalogue as they seemed to be with ADV.

Yeah, dubs are easier, but there are a lot of titles I'd take sub only (Angelique, Meine Liebe) just to see them brought over. And when they go with the wrong studio, we get unlistenable crap, anyway.

Keonyn,
I seem to recall ADV putting out numbers of something like $40,000 per 30 minutes of title to dub. The $10 seems pretty standard a price dif on a sub-only vs a dub. On stuff like yaoi, most of the fans are interested in the Japanese VA's anyway. I would even gamble it'd be hard to beat the original cast of Haruka (someday. probably after I start watching the dvds, I'll actually remember the whole title). I can imagine the wrong dub group going overboard on Super Robot Wars. (Ooo. Bad Image. ADV could go so over the top on it. Like those horrid next ep previews on Tactics. I wanted to shoot the va-Luci Christian? I forget. I have loved her in other stuff. Blame the director for having her do it in such a bad game show prize manner)

But the cost of the dub probably wouldn't increase sales on many MB sub-only releases, would it? The guys who want yuri may whine, but if they want it bad enough, the'll buy it. I see gals wish for dubs, but buy what little yaoi anime there is to be had. I've seen lots of others say they'd take sub-only on a lot of titles. My Eat-Man Bandai release only has a couple eps dubbed with the series finished sub. I bet a lot would settle for that (Kodocha fans?)
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
Then, frankly sir, I view you as the problem rather than the solution and thanks a bunch for rendering the £50 that I spent on GaoGaiGar up to this point to mean nothing. Yes, thanks a whole load for that.

I do love my GaoGaiGar box 1(filled with dvds), and I'm hoping MB releases The King of Braves out of Hiatus, because The Best is Yet to Come!!!! and if you're going to drop it because lack of a dub... Tough Cookies I'm in it till the End!
I know perfectly well what happens and I agree it's the second best thing that Giant Robot Anime has produced prior to Gurren Lagann. But without the dub, the zeal just isn't there.

Let's be frank, first they put the thing on Haitus, make it crystal clear it's because of Voltron and then expect me, who by this point is rather miffed about the whole deal, to cough up for fansubs on a dvd?

Yes, that will be the day, ether they do it right or they don't do it at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3