• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Wii U Not Expected Until June 2012 or Later

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
And here lies the inherent problem with typical console wars...lemme show you the problem.

Quote:
Mass Effect 2, Portal 2, Dragon Age 2, Infamous 2, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, Catharine, Batman: Arkham City.

Mass Effect 2: CRAP
Portal 2: Decent...
Dragon Age 2: button mashy CRAP (the 1st game was...okay)
Infamous 2: CRAP
Dark Souls:...so so. Demons Souls was better
Deus Ex: CRAP
Catherine: Unsure...I enjoyed the story part of the game...not so much the game play.
Batman: Arkham City: Great. I put it up there with Monster Hunter, Mario Galaxy, and Arc Rise Fantasia (good thing you said Arkham City too, because I didn't like Asylum)

See the problem in these kinds of debates? Wink

This kind of debate never ends. Let's just admit pretend own opinion is correct and opposing ones are all incorrect. It's the only way these debates can ever resolve itself.

PS - MW3 or Battlefield: unimaginative brown CRAP.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
No way. Kirby's Epic Yarn was just epicly monotonous due to it's utter lack of difficulty. Mario Kart Wii wasn't any good either. Terrible rubber banding and too much reused content. MadWorld was an intriguing game but it ultimately failed to to totally bland and monotonous gameplay. Also, is Sonic Colors really anything more than just passable, and only distinguished by the fact that every other recent Sonic game was not?

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I could argue my defense for these titles (Epic Yarn, in my opinion, made up for it's easiness with the level design and the biggest dose of nostalgia in recent memory), but I don't really see where that's gonna take us. To make a point, there were a couple of games I listed I hadn't enjoyed much (Boom Blox and Tatsunoko), but I know people who are big fans.

It all boils down to preference. I can see how and why the PS3 and 360 overshadow the Wii in many aspects, but as much as I love the likes of Oblivion and MVC3, I don't really feel compelled to check out most of their libraries. I'll admit Nintendo hasn't done much to innovate their core franchises since Pikmin and WarioWare, but I personally find their games to be the best/most creative in the entire industry and that's something I can't find on the other two consoles.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Anthony.P wrote:
It all boils down to preference.

See though, I don't really think it does. Certainly everyone is going to have different opinions on different games and that's going to make some difference. However, like I said, even giving you the utmost benefit of the doubt and taking subjectivity out of the equation by including everything you've mentioned, games that I didn't enjoy, games that you apparently didn't even enjoy, the best we can come up with is still an extremely short list of games. So yeah, perhaps preference determines whether you find a half dozen worth playing games on the Wii or a couple dozen. But regardless, I just think you've gotta admit that it's still a pretty limited selection.

Gon*Gon wrote:
See the problem in these kinds of debates? Wink

Yeah, I do. No matter how long a list of games on PS3/360 I come up with, you're just going to apply the unassailable subjective defence of dismissing them on the grounds that you didn't like them. It all reeks of unapologetic, deliberate bias but it's pretty much a dead end regardless. So yeah, you're right. This debate will go nowhere.

Let's be clear about one thing though: Just because you can flail about and force a stalemate with this rhetoric does not mean both views are valid.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I agree with ikillchicken, the Wii only really had a handful of good games on it. Outside of Brawl I don't come back to play anything. Most people I've heard from are pretty disappointed as well.

It was pretty much the same with Gamecube, outside of Melee and Resident Evil 4 (and to some extent Metroid Prime and Viewtiful Joe), there wasn't really much to write home about. One could mention Soul Calibur 2, but it was really just an update on the gameplay of its precessor, and didn't build upon or live up to the legendary precedent set by its forebears. Same can be said of Twilight Princess, which is an unremarkable followup to Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Skyward Sword looks like more of the same.

Older systems had a larger, legendary library of games. Playstation, PS2, N64, Genesis, Dreamcast had plenty of engaging stuff. Heck, even the Super Nintendo seems like a golden era to me despite NEVER having owned one or growing up with the console. But I've played the games, and can tell that a lot of classics were crafted back then worth feeling nostalgic about, despite the limited graphics (Chrono Trigger and the FF's come readily to mind).

Those systems lay the foundation for golden eras of gaming. But the Wii? ...no way. Introduced motion controls sure, and really I think that's the only real reason for its widespread success (by appealing to a broader market in the casual crowd curious about the new controls)... but what about the games? Compared with all the other eras of gaming, I'm not going to be looking back particularly fondly on the very few games I actually enjoyed.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
But regardless, I just think you've gotta admit that it's still a pretty limited selection.

Not a problem! My Wii library consists of over 25+ (roughly the amount of my GC library), and I'm satisfied with most of them.

Quote:
It was pretty much the same with Gamecube, outside of Melee and Resident Evil 4 (and to some extent Metroid Prime and Viewtiful Joe), there wasn't really much to write home about. One could mention Soul Calibur 2, but it was really just an update on the gameplay of its precessor, and didn't build upon or live up to the legendary precedent set by its forebears. Same can be said of Twilight Princess, which is an unremarkable followup to Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Skyward Sword looks like more of the same.

Older systems had a larger, legendary library of games. Playstation, PS2, N64, Genesis, Dreamcast had plenty of engaging stuff. Heck, even the Super Nintendo seems like a golden era to me despite NEVER having owned one or growing up with the console. But I've played the games, and can tell that a lot of classics were crafted back then worth feeling nostalgic about, despite the limited graphics (Chrono Trigger and the FF's come readily to mind).

I would argue the N64 had the same problem as well, if not worse. I don't really remember any notable third-parties outside of Bomberman, Snowboard Kids and Ubisoft's offerings (not to mention I recall magazines constantly citing this problem), and the Gamecube was fared better in this regard IMO. Not a huge leap, but an acceptable one (love me some Billy Hatcher and Monkey Ball!)
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
despite the limited graphics

Graphics is the low in priority when it comes to a game being good. Even music trumps graphics.

A good overall aesthetics or decent music trumps a game that focuses on graphics to look good anyday. This is why people still agree that DKC still looks like a nice game even by today's standards.

@ikillchicken: Each and every single thing you said can pretty much be reversed back to you.

I'm only forcing a stalemate because no one will ever admit they're wrong on the internet when multiple sides involved.

The NDS beats all 3 home consoles by a mile anyways. Rolling Eyes
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll grab the Wii when it's $20 bucks and the games are like $5 to $10. There are only maybe a handful of games, domestic and Japanese that are collectable.

The rest is simply landfill.

Hopefully the Wii U won't be a disappointing kid gimmick like the Wii was. No more 480p please. What am I saying, It's already called the "WII U". That joke is halfway out the box already. Instead of motion controls they converted old GameGears into touch pads. Sweet! Damn Nintendo, you are the definition of insanity.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
Anthony.P wrote:

I would argue the N64 had the same problem as well, if not worse. I don't really remember any notable third-parties outside of Bomberman, Snowboard Kids and Ubisoft's offerings (not to mention I recall magazines constantly citing this problem), and the Gamecube was fared better in this regard IMO.

I always highly recommend "Mischief Makers" by Treasure (I hope Marina Liteyears gets added to a Smash game someday Razz)... and I absolutely loved to pieces "Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon" by Konami.... seriously, "Impact!" and "Gorgeous My Stage" are so memeable, they should've entered the common vernacular by now Anime hyper. Any anime fan who owns an N64 should give these games a go, I still love'em and come back to play them now and again.

I personally thought Quest 64 was a pretty fun experience, and still hum the music to this day (the gameplay is limited and the ending is admittedly weak, but the world is vast, colorful and rich). Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire definitely had its moments (flying around in the Snowspeeders on Hoth was pretty cool). A good friend of mine once recommended Ogre Battle 64, haven't tried it myself but it's supposedly quite good and apparently well reviewed. There's also Megaman 64, though it was a port from the Playstation (it's a favorite of mine personally, and also an anime-styled game). Interestingly, Rare wasn't quite a first party developer (I believe they're considered "second-party" since Nintendo only owned 49% of the company at the time), so you could also count Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Killer Instinct:Gold, Jet Force Gemini, etc. depending on how you interpret their relationship with Nintendo.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
Anthony.P wrote:
Not a problem! My Wii library consists of over 25+ (roughly the amount of my GC library), and I'm satisfied with most of them.

I don't know man. If you're satisfied then that's up to you. I really wouldn't call a library of only about 25 satisfactory games too impressive for a five year old console though. One can easily find upwards of 50 or 60 satisfactory games on PS3 or 360 at this point.

Gon*Gon wrote:
@ikillchicken: Each and every single thing you said can pretty much be reversed back to you.

Nonsense. My argument is that, even putting aside my own personal opinion of the Wii games mentioned and instead assuming that they are indeed all "worth playing", the Wii's lineup is still pretty slim.

Where as your entire argument rests on your stubborn and utterly subjective dismissal of the likes of a variety of extremely popular and well received franchises. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Portal, Infamous, etc.

Anthony.P wrote:
I would argue the N64 had the same problem as well, if not worse.

I was too young in the N64 era to have much of an opinion here. However, I will say that in addition to Bomberman I'm a big fan of the Turok games and on a more obscure note: Treasure's Mischief Makers. Also, if you count the Rare titles as third party (I'm not sure whether you do or not) then there was a lot of great stuff there. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Jet Force Gemini. I think that was sort of the key for N64. They may have lacked 3rd party support which was a problem but since they put out so much stuff on their own (or via studios they owned like Rare) it wasn't a huge deal.

Lightning Leo wrote:
It was pretty much the same with Gamecube

Eh...I don't know. I really have mixed feelings on the Gamecube. Without a doubt it suffered similar problems to the Wii. Limited 3rd party support meant that it simply could not compete in terms of sheer numbers with other consoles. That said, I maintain that for whatever it lacked in quantity it made up for in quality. Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime and Pikmin are three of the greatest games ever in my opinion.

Luigi's Mansion is another tragically underrated gem. Plus there's Twilight Princess. I know a lot of people criticize it and to be fair, it is the most bland game of the series aesthetically and story-wise. However, I believe it to be far superior in terms of gameplay to both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. (And Wind Waker itself, despite it's flaws, is a stupendous game). And, to be fair, while lacking 3rd party support was an issue it was nowhere near as severe as with the Wii. You still saw a number of really great multi-platform games hit the GC: Soul Calibur 2, Killer Seven, Beyond Good & Evil, Viewtiful Joe, Tales of Symphonia, etc.

EDIT:

Lightning Leo wrote:
I always highly recommend "Mischief Makers" by Treasure (I hope Marina Liteyears gets added to a Smash game someday Razz)...

Hell yes! Looks like you beat me to mentioning it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2