• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Negotiating to Acquire Geneon Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I forgot about Monster Rancher, and any other titles which I forgot, those were probably good too. Oh yeah, forgot about Duel Masters. It wasn't great but when Mimi (was that her name?) got her new clothes I wanted to watch more to see her. But then I think they cancelled it.

I guess I was wrong about Bobobo, the Encyclopedia says it got finished (on Cartoon Network) after all. But about the other shows like Cardcaptors or Fighting Foodons, which aired on major networks but not a unified "channel", at least in the state(s) I lived in I think they got cancelled. They might not have been cancelled nation-wide though. Yugioh GX got cancelled at least in my state from the major networks, Cartoon Network (which is the same everywhere) picked up the slack, and now the major networks picked it up again but I think Yugioh GX still has "holes" where they didn't air the episodes (and CN did instead).

Richard J, I agree with what you said and if Funimation can now take over "everything" given the newly-"realistic" prices then that would be great. The thing that really worries me though is that even though I have a lot of respect for Funimation, I don't think they can handle "everything" alone. Even if they could, I am not sure they want to. They may say they are willing but I do not believe them. Historically, Funimation and Viz have been more interested in the "mainstream" sort of titles like Dragon Ball Z and Inu Yasha, and less in the more niche-but-still-very-popular-in-certain-circles titles such as Fate/Stay Night or Shakugan no Shana. I am afraid that Funimation is still not going to want titles such as those.

The other danger is that even if Funimation does take over everything, that would create a monopoly. Which is sort of bad. Monopolies can be okay, in fact they are the ideal solution to everything in my mind, but only if the people who run the monopoly are both extremely competent and truly have the well-being of the masses in mind. Is Funimation such a company? If so then we might be headed towards golden times. If they aren't, then we might only be headed for greater disaster.

Goodpenguin wrote:
However, for people that buy R1 releases and are willing to also download fansubs, whats the fatal blow here?

It doesn't seem like starting a volume by official purchase and finishing via fansub/burn would be a huge deal-breaker.

I know you weren't talking about me here, since I wasn't in this category of purchaser. But supposing I were, I would still be annoyed to have a series that is half-legit and half-fansub because the quality would be very different. Not only video quality but translation quality and possibly hardware issues (what room do you watch the show in) as well. I won't accuse either version of being better or worse quality here, but there will be a difference one way or another, and consistency is an important factor in my opinion. If the legit series ended, then I would just download the entire series on fansub and trash my DVDs (or at least never watch them again).

CCSYueh wrote:
You have to support the people who do nice things for you.

I can understand your sentiments. But at the same time, what about people who do bad things to you? What Geneon USA did to me was evil. What ADV Manga (and perhaps soon to be ADV Films as well) did to me was evil. It's only fair that I now do the opposite of supporting them. I would do anything within my power to grind Geneon USA and (maybe, depending on future developments) ADVision into dust. If I had been buying "I'm Gonna Be an Angel!" I would want to bomb the Synch-Point headquarters. This is only fair as far as I'm concerned. If I support people who are nice to me, it's also equally reasonable for me to hurt people who are mean to me.

As I've said before, and I apologize for sounding a bit like a broken record, if Geneon USA and ADVision had simply slowed down production and went out of business gracefully my attitude towards them would have been completely different. If that had been the case, I would still be waiting like you are. But I have become disillusioned as you say, by their actions. Maybe Funimation is a better entity than they were, maybe I am safe with them, but at this point I just think things are too far gone. If there's a 50% chance of industry recovery, and a 50% chance of industry collapse, then I'm gonna assume it's gonna collapse. Because even though watching fansubs is highly undesirable to me, it's not the end of the (anime) world. But if I waited for one or two years for things to get better, and they never did and I watched no decent animes for two years, then ended up downloading fansubs anyway after that, that would suck.

If the R1 anime industry gets their act back together quickly and healthily, then there's a chance I'll be back after a few years. If they don't, and only live on in a crippled state, I'm gone forever.
Bookworm121

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
It bothers me that they anounnced this attempt to obtain most of the titles for Genom. Becasue the yjust settled a rather nasty lawsute with atrie over the dragon ball Z games. And becides that if they do get their hands on genome's libary of anime their jsut going to cut away at it.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Bookworm121 wrote:
It bothers me that they anounnced this attempt to obtain most of the titles for Genom. Becasue the yjust settled a rather nasty lawsute with atrie over the dragon ball Z games.

Which netted them something like 10 million dollars. (can't remember exact figure but it is in the millions)

I think it is a good thing that they are looking to spend that money investing in anime.
Quote:
And becides that if they do get their hands on genome's libary of anime their jsut going to cut away at it.

I doubt that, since most of the work will already be finished.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
.... if Geneon USA and ADVision had simply slowed down production and went out of business gracefully my attitude towards them would have been completely different.

Wait wait What?! Either i've been in a hole or I completely missed that tidbit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Porcupine wrote:
.... if Geneon USA and ADVision had simply slowed down production and went out of business gracefully my attitude towards them would have been completely different.

Speculation and panic, that's all.

Porcupine is looking forward to the collapse of the American anime industry, so as to have an excuse to illegally download without guilt. It's the same for a lot of people on 4chan, who believe anime should "go back to the fans" - that only people who download it can appreciate it. A strange form of elitism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Porcupine wrote:

Speculation and panic, that's all.

Tell me about it.

Porcupine is looking forward to the collapse of the American anime industry, so as to have an excuse to illegally download without guilt. It's the same for a lot of people on 4chan, who believe anime should "go back to the fans" - that only people who download it can appreciate it. A strange form of elitism.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth, I don't need an excuse to download without guilt. This statement is extreme, do not read if you are faint of heart --> spoiler[I could murder without guilt]. I have declared in the past that I have absolutely no "morals" and have explained my stance on piracy many times. Although I think fansubs tremendously damage the industry, I have never blamed any individual for being a fansub-watcher, because everyone should do what is best for themselves. I did not ever download in the past myself but that was not due to moral issues. I simply think that commercial DVDs are a higher quality product (which I still believe is true in general, although an exceptional-quality modern fansub is probably better quality than the worst-quality DVD) and I have enough money to buy most of what I want, so I bought DVDs. Also, most of what I wanted to watch would be released. But that may soon no longer be the case, so I'm done with lining the pockets of people who don't deserve my money (this is said in a general sense, there may be some companies that are still good such as Funimation).

britannica, whoops sorry about that. I try to be clear whenever possible but sometimes mistakes do slip through. In any case, ADV Manga certainly bowed out of the manga market disgracefully, so even the statement you quoted is half true.

Last edited by Porcupine on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I was always a big Geneon fan, even back when they were still Pioneer. I'll miss those guys. My hope is that Funi is able to bring many good titles over and eventually learn how to match Geneon's level of quality control, which I considered to be very good. I don't care much about English dub casts myself, but Geneon's encoding seemed to always be among the best in my view and I wish everyone was at the same level.

Hey, this is my 1000'th post. Betcha didn't know that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
penguintruth, I don't need an excuse to download without guilt. This statement is extreme, do not read if you are faint of heart --> spoiler[I could murder without guilt]. I have declared in the past that I have absolutely no "morals" and have explained my stance on piracy many times. Although I think fansubs tremendously damage the industry, I have never blamed any individual for being a fansub-watcher, because everyone should do what is best for themselves. I did not ever download in the past myself but that was not due to moral issues. I simply think that commercial DVDs are a higher quality product (which I still believe is true in general, although an exceptional-quality modern fansub is probably better quality than the worst-quality DVD) and I have enough money to buy most of what I want, so I bought DVDs. Also, most of what I wanted to watch would be released. But that may soon no longer be the case, so I'm done with lining the pockets of people who don't deserve my money (this is said in a general sense, there may be some companies that are still good such as Funimation).

Why not wait until that time actually arrives? It seems like you're looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Historically, Funimation and Viz have been more interested in the "mainstream" sort of titles like Dragon Ball Z and Inu Yasha, and less in the more niche-but-still-very-popular-in-certain-circles titles such as Fate/Stay Night or Shakugan no Shana. I am afraid that Funimation is still not going to want titles such as those.
True, but Funimation has also shown a desire to expand out and tap new sections of the fanbase. Several of their recent series have less "mainstream" appeal than usual and while they have canceled a few releases, they've handled it better. They don't seem to be having nearly as many problems overall as the other companies.

To be frank, they seem to be the most willing to do things. They've tried more lately and appeared to be more flexible. Also, regardless of all the constant video quality complaints people post about, they control a majority of the market and get a lot more out on TV. They've now indicated a willingness to make a major shift in their DVD marketing.

They've got TV connections, they've still got their own network, they've got a plan, and they've got a lot of good titles. They are, in my opinion, the only company that really seems to on safe ground.

Now, personally, I think we've hit the bottom and can only go back up now in terms of the R1 industy's situation. I'm not exactly hopeful about ADV solving their problems and I'm now more convinced than ever that Geneon is dead. I do expect something to come out of their licenses though. Money's been spent, money must now be earned back if possible.

It's not so much that the idea of a Funimation monopoly makes me giddy, but if the buying market can only sustain one company, I'd rather it be them than, say, Viz who can't be bothered to do two subtitle tracks or Media Blasters that aren't willing to license things that can profit with a dub. (My language preference is English, so this matters to me.)

Porcupine wrote:
I don't need an excuse to download without guilt. This statement is extreme, do not read if you are faint of heart --> spoiler[I could murder without guilt].
Light Yagami? Is that you? Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

britannica, whoops sorry about that. I try to be clear whenever possible but sometimes mistakes do slip through. In any case, ADV Manga certainly bowed out of the manga market disgracefully, so even the statement you quoted is half true.

Last I checked they hadn't bowed out. I mean they own Gunslinger Girl and that's still being released. So I don't even think their manga department has bowed out entirely.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Monopolies can be okay, in fact they are the ideal solution to everything in my mind

Shocked Monopolies are the solution to everything?

Quote:
What Geneon USA did to me was evil. What ADV Manga (and perhaps soon to be ADV Films as well) did to me was evil.

Shocked Evil? Really? Not just, say, a bit annoying and inconvenient?

Quote:
I would do anything within my power to grind Geneon USA and (maybe, depending on future developments) ADVision into dust. If I had been buying "I'm Gonna Be an Angel!" I would want to bomb the Synch-Point headquarters. This is only fair as far as I'm concerned.

Shocked Say what? "Grind into dust"? "Bomb"? Getting a little carried away now aren't we Mr. Supervillain?

Quote:
everyone should do what is best for themselves

Rolling Eyes Unless they run ADV or Geneon? Because in their cases not doing things the way you want them to is "evil"? I sense a logical inconsistancy...
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I was always a big Geneon fan, even back when they were still Pioneer. I'll miss those guys. My hope is that Funi is able to bring many good titles over and eventually learn how to match Geneon's level of quality control, which I considered to be very good. I don't care much about English dub casts myself, but Geneon's encoding seemed to always be among the best in my view and I wish everyone was at the same level.

Hey, this is my 1000'th post. Betcha didn't know that.

Yeah, FUNi tends to change the scripting a bit. I hope they choose a good dub cast for Nanoha and try to stick to the Japanese script...
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
I think FUNi does a very good job of staying true to the intent of the Japanese, while making English dubs that flow nicely and make sense. I hope that if they pull this off, they can keep some of the dub casts intact. Especially Hellsing, if they get that. I'd be really surprised if they weren't trying real hard.
carmolita

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
Wasn't toei sitting on the SM license?

Yes, the lousy buggers!

Well, I have to say that I hope that some of the titles picked up will be some of the partially released ones. Like: Kyo Kara Maoh!, Shonen Onmyouji and The Story of Saiunkoku. Why those? Because I own them and I want to see the end of the darn series!

I agree I'm collecting those to but I'm worried.. What if in aquiring new seasons of the series funi changes up the voice actors? Considering funi doesn't use voice actors outside the state of Texas ... And the actors geneon uses are from ocean studios on the other side of the country. And what of the seasons partialy completed will they change up the actors and start over? I don't know wheather to be depressed or happy at this news. ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9