• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Australia's Red Ant to Release Evangelion: 1.0 on DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
Wow! That's great news for Australia.

...I can't help but wonder when we might get an announcement about a release in North America, though. I know, I know, I'm impatient.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
As nice as it is to see Madman get some competition... I'd really rather that something I actually want to buy not be the first product out of a company who have no experience in producing DVDs at all. Especially when every other company to have started up in Australia in the anime niche have generally been terrible.

But then, I haven't purchased a local release in years anyway - they need to do something about the higher-price-but-lower-quality-than-US-imports issue first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
Wait ... what? This is weird. If a small Australian company can afford to license this, why can't ADV? Is this Australian company going to dub RoE?
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
It wouldn't surprise me if it was subtitled. Plus, we've already speculated that the NA license has been acquired, but unnanounced as of yet.

Still, this is great news. For those of us who have to import English releases anyway, it doesn't matter whether it's from Australia or America.
deathwombat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
Great, now I'll have to buy Evangelion 1.0 twice, first with this Red Ant release and then again when Madman finally bring it out.

Though I'm surprised about Red Ant going into entertainment dvds, I thought they would be content with selling reboxed versions of old games.

Also a few mistakes I noticed through the article and their press release.

Red Ant is a leading Austrian company

In your page of their press release you've repeated 2 paragraphs twice, and they've said that Evangelion 1.0 is the first film in planned trilogy of films when in fact it's going to be a quadriligy.
pcnerdjack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
Good for you Australia, you guys deserve it. Still, i can't help but wonder why nothing about an american release has been confirmed, oh well.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
Wait ... what? This is weird. If a small Australian company can afford to license this, why can't ADV? Is this Australian company going to dub RoE?
Because America is a lot bigger than Australia. And ADV doesn't exactly have much money at this specific moment.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The earlier eva movies didn't come from ADV...... Manga got them......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
The earlier eva movies didn't come from ADV...... Manga got them......

...And now Manga has let those DVDs slip out-of-print... Sad

I hope that Red Ant does a good enough job with their first DVD distribution. I can only imagine the crapstorm that would kick up if they botch it in any way--even from fans not living in Austrailia.

As for a dub, I don't know if they will go through the trouble of contracting Gaijin (who dubbed the '90s movies) or Amusement Park (aka ADV's dub group) all the way across the Pacific. Unless there is another group on the continent or around Oceania, a sub-only release sounds more likely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
...And now Manga has let those DVDs slip out-of-print... Sad

Aww.. *pet pet* Look on the Internet or at Half Price Books; when I was at Half Price Books I found both movies for $15 <3
Codain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
deathwombat wrote:
Great, now I'll have to buy Evangelion 1.0 twice, first with this Red Ant release and then again when Madman finally bring it out.

Usually the way it works is that one company acquires the rights which stops the other company. Don't expect Madman to release this series unless Red Ant goes bust like TNT.
rekishi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
i see this as both a chance for good, or another example of bad...

GOOD red ant aquire all the evangelion movies, release them all with excellent packaging, well translated subtitles, and awesome english dub...

BAD they release it sub only with the same dodgy packaging and subtitles that came with the hong kong knock-off release...

i very much doubt they'll bother to dub it, no one hardly ever does... madman have only ever dubbed two of their titles (GITS 2 and melinium actress...) and they messed one of them up (it's fixed now apparently)...

i will with hold my judgment til i actually see this release though... they may, for all we know, create an australian dub, using local voice talent (something australian anime fans have been wanting to see happen for a while... for better of for worse...)

but i doubt it...
Codain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Would it be so wrong if they released a sub only version with quality subtitles?

I don't see the harm in that at all.
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
As for a dub, I don't know if they will go through the trouble of contracting Gaijin (who dubbed the '90s movies) or Amusement Park (aka ADV's dub group) all the way across the Pacific. Unless there is another group on the continent or around Oceania, a sub-only release sounds more likely.

There is no reason for them to have to use the same voice actors (it's a remake, not a continuation). I'm actually hoping the North American release has different actors than the original ADV and Manga releases. I don't have any problem with the old actors. i just want to see how todays voice actors handle the characters.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quote
rekishi wrote:
madman have only ever dubbed two of their titles (GITS 2 and melinium actress...)

Did Madman dub those or did they just buy the Manga UK dubs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2