• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mnemosyne - Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey, it's Tomoya's dad! (That sensei guy).

I wouldn't say they ramped up the violence, just maintened. I mean, how much further up could it go from the piercing scene in episode 1?

I would have been dissappointed with the episode except for two things: first, I'm not watching this series for the plot; second, it's Xebec, and I hold them to a lower standard. If every episode starts off with Rin asking for water and shortly after Mimi stating that "Vodka is Russian for water." my expectations will have been exceeded.

As for the plot, it felt like only half the story was told this time. I'm not talking about spoiler[the origin of immortals and angels, or that Apos only showed up briefly to verbally antagonize Rin.] I mean the whole stamp issue and why plot-device girl's brother was killing people for revenge, and how from what Rin says near the end of the episode it seems like she knew the guy.

Also, why is Laura so gung-ho about killing Rin? Aside from being order/paid to by Apos. Maybe. spoiler[Given that they're both immortal this makes no sense unless Laura has some grudge against Rin that we've yet to learn about.] But likely she's been doing this constantly for a year now with nothing to show for it.

And that other chick - the one Rin *ahem* paid for the information - was there a plot-relevant reason for that? As in, will she be a recurring character, or were they just short on their yuri quota for the episode? spoiler[Plus there's the mess of the target turning out to be someone else, and does it really matter that there was an assassination attempt on some former Communist?]

Finally, loved Mimi listing the computers specs. My mom sometimes comments that back then she thought, "50 megs of hard drive? How would we ever fill all that space?"
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
i watched ep.1 and i loved it, i know ep.2 is out but the "format" its on wont work for my comp, have to wait prolly another week.........so far its delivering on sex and violence
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Plot? Whatever. This show gets by on sex and cool.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was intriguing, but left something to be desired. The storyline for that episode wasn't that interesting and zombies are boring; it needed more kickass fights. But it was quite nice to see Mamiko Noto in this type of role. Also, needs more Rin x Mimi, but it sounds like episode two should satisfy in that regard.
Maase

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
Bah, don't like it...

Its a sex/nudity/violence show hidden in an Anime, i want a good plot, for god's sake, not just lesbian sex and violent killing :\
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Maase wrote:
Bah, don't like it...

Its a sex/nudity/violence show hidden in an Anime, i want a good plot, for god's sake, not just lesbian sex and violent killing :\

I don't think any of us are watching this show for it's "stellar" writing, if you catch my drift. Everything has it's place. Sometimes sex/nudity/violence is just the thing after a long hard day.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Maase wrote:
Bah, don't like it...

I wouldn't say it's hidden. More like, um, the exact opposite of that. I agree with you on the desire for a more respectable plot, but that's not going to make or break my decision to continue watching.
Maase

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I never said it would, Dorcas Aurelia, i only said my opinion about the Anime...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 was a blast spoiler[Like that trick the fem sniper did with the C4 blast was awesome.I wanted to see Rinchan all blown up.There is a lot of bondage in this series,like really nice art pieces when they pull away.Like some new Immortal chick with all the swords rammed through the chair into her,good shit.And Yuri is always good in my book,a Vodka kiss in the morning is always welcome.The pun about the maid uniform was funny too.I like how the Immortals get horny when the angels appear.Did anyone see the in the next preview that the guy on their team is much older?Looks like there is more Yuri on the way.]Can't wait for episode 3.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
I finally got around to seeing this. The second episode was a definite improvement as there was an actual logical flow to the plot. The action is also improved. I still just haven't found it all that exceptional though and the whole thing still seems fairly light on any actual substance in favor of an excess of graphic violence, nudity, and various sex related plot points. I don't mind this stuff and in some cases it is a plus but it really isn't enough to carry an anime on it's own. Rin is okay but otherwise none of the characters are really all that cool or interesting. I will still see the next episode but I don't really have the highest expectations for it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 3....and there's a 20 year jump! So it's now 2011?!! Shocked

spoiler[This episode dealt with mysterious bombings and an investigation of some weird disease that was prevalent during WWII on something called Death Island. This was all perpetrate by that sadist Sayara who's indeed alive thanks to that time spore! Her plan was to spread the disease to wipe out all of humanity and leave only to the immortals.

Near the end, Kouki sacrificed his his humanity to save save Rin by becoming an Angel. He unfortunately got turned to dust when Apos took out his time spore out of him. So basically Kouki is gone! Crying or Very sad

Though on the plus side, Sayara is gone for good as well since Apos ate her time spore.]

And yes, anyone who wants to hear what Rie Kugimiya sounds like in a yuri scene will definitely get their wish! Laughing

Next episode will be out on May 4th! Oooo, that's 6 days before my birthday. Sweet!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a dissappointing episode. I'm watching this series for eroticism and violence, and I was failed on both counts. Rin did almost no ass-kicking, spoiler[only taking out three people, one of whom was a medical technician, so he doesn't even really count; and she got beat down by Sayara repeatedly. Also, despite Sayara's presence, there was significantly less graphic bodily mutilation than episode 1.]
Quote:
And yes, anyone who wants to hear what Rie Kugimiya sounds like in a yuri scene will definitely get their wish!

I'm not a fan of spoiler[extortion rape. Seeing people cry from pain and fear during sex is a major turn-off.] And the only other sex we got during the episode was spoiler[a brief scene of angel-Kouki assaulting Sayara.]
Also, no Mimi/Rin vodka kiss to start off the show makes me sad. At least we still got "Vodka means 'water' in Russian".

As for the usual weak link (the plot), the episode plot was pretty dull aside from the ridiculous set up. spoiler[Rin meeting the random victim girl at the construction was awkward, because despite the blood on the girl's clothing and her panic, there was no apparent urgency. Rin didn't even consider looking around for pursuers.]
As for ongoing plot, there was nothing really pertinent aside from ambiguous hints regarding the depth of Apos evilness, and the twenty year time skip doesn't apparently add anything aside from spoiler[the ability to add sympathy to Kouki's death because he had a family].
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
In episode 4, the year is 2025!!! You know, these time jumps in each episode does form quite of bit of melancholy for Rin and Mimi. Especially when lots of stuff are changing with the people they know keep on getting older, and they're pretty much stuck.

And with this time jump now deals with Kouki's son Teruki who's in college right. spoiler[ And in this future, everyone got addicted in the online world a.k.a. 2.0 in which the real world, 1.0, is starting to looks pretty crappy. The basic plot is that Teruki witnessed a murder of Ruon which doesn't seem right because Ruon is just a virtual idol in the internet (and not to mention the real Ruon died in the past). And now Teruki is on the run.

And this episode concluded with a bit of a twist. Ruon revealed to be a very obsessive, crazy android who wanted Teruki all for herself. Thankfully Rin was able take her out by throwing her and herself into the jet engine. Now how the heck is Rin going to regenerate from that?!! Laughing ]

Next episode is out on June 1st, and from the looks of the preview, that bearded guy in the OP is going to play a significant role.
cool3865

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
dang i need to keep up, i just got done watching watching episode 3, it was good but wasnt as good as episode 1&2.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
Wow that has got to hurt but spoiler[apparently she is sble to regenerate from even that since she's shown in the preview for the next episode.] Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5