• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima's Akamatsu Warns Against Changing Japan's Copyright Law

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote
Well, considering many of the best mangakas started off doing doujins...almost always hentai, he does have a cause for concern. The doujin scene is practically a breeding ground for potential artists.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
doctordoom:
Quote:
Seriously, the only real similarity is that the main protagonist is a boy wizard with glasses (and Negi goes to a HUMAN school to TEACH, whereas Harry goes to a WIZARD school to LEARN), they don't share much in common outside of that.

But he's still cashing in on the same essential premise to sell his manga. Unlike Rowling, who at least morphs tropes into her own material.

Dorcas:
Quote:
Besides which, the point is that drawing doujinshi is a common method for a starting mangaka to get noticed and advance into making an original manga. Scanlation is a hobby that does not directly benefit the Japanese manga industry in any way.

But there are clearly cases where doujin artists are not any more ethical or legal than scantalators, in that similar situations of profiteering occur. And yet they can make a quick buck essentially tracing, while a pro crashes and burns because they chose not to pander.

Quote:
Aside from Negi's superficial similarities to Harry, the manga is a lot more like One Piece or Dragon Ball than Rowling's books.

On the surface, to me, it's more like Tenchi with witches instead of alien girls.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
But the entire point of (non-original) doujinshi is that it's essentially a fanfic in manga format, ie. it's about the characters we know and love. Drawing a doujinshi about characters who look sorta like Kaname and Sousuke, naming them "Kaori" and "Sasuke", and placing the story in an original universe unrelated to FMP is... well, it goes against the whole point./

I do not think that it does go against the point if the readers know who the characters are supposed to be.
A lot of doujinshi that I read has characters that look significantly different from the originals. Many of them are different enough that I think that it would be difficult to prove that they are the same. However, most of the doujinshi that I read is hentai and "normal" doujinshi might be different.

But this does not really answer my question about how much doujinshi will be affected by the new law, if it is enacted.

Has any doujinshi ever been successfully prosecuted under the current law?

About the proposed new law:
Would it change the definition of what constitutes a copyright violation?
Or would it just change how, or by whom, alleged violations are prosecuted?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I think he's more worried that all the H-doujin spinoffs will dry up. Wink

You joke, but he has pretty clearly referenced a particular Negima doujinshi in the Negima manga.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I think he's more worried that all the H-doujin spinoffs will dry up. Wink

You joke, but he has pretty clearly referenced a particular Negima doujinshi in the Negima manga.

A lot of creators do. I've read about a couple mangaka who are friends and joked about how they make it a contest to see which series between them gets more doujins/hentai.

A lot of them treat it as an honor, like you know you've made it into the big time when you have lots of doujins about your work; especially since, as mentioned, quite a few mangaka get their start by making doujinshi.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Plus...the amount of fanart and doujins of your work is a pretty good sign of fame.

Just compare the amount of fanart of Nier with the amount a budget series like Etrian Odyssey has in any image hosting site.

Fame/possible success=more hentai and fanarts of your work
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3