• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CliffsNotes Sell Manga-Inspired Shakespeare Guides

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Gonzo's Romeo x Juliet...when the hell is that gonna get announced? Anime hyper#
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Heck yes, Ryusui.

I don't get this product though. ...Is it a manga version of Shakespeare, or what? It sounds like an illustrated CliffNote, in which case, I think our world has hit an all time low. We need CliffNotes to be illustrated?

Then there's the whole zomg big eyes and swooshy hair does not manga make, but at this point I'm so jaded that it doesn't even faze me anymore.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I don't get this product though. ...Is it a manga version of Shakespeare, or what? It sounds like an illustrated CliffNote, in which case, I think our world has hit an all time low. We need CliffNotes to be illustrated?

Then there's the whole zomg big eyes and swooshy hair does not manga make, but at this point I'm so jaded that it doesn't even faze me anymore.

It's Shakespeare comics, published by the CliffNotes folks, adapting the respective plays in a manga style.

I've seen some of TinTin Pantoja's Hamlet pages as she was working on it, and it's damn gorgeous stuff in her books case- lavish, retro shojo designs and layout with gorgeous linework. TinTin was behind the rejected but terrific Wonder Woman manga proposal that made a ruckus on the net recently, in addition to make in the fun webcomic Seven Plains http://www.webcomicsnation.com/tintin/sevenplains/series.php , and is also producing a graphic novel adaption of Pride and Prejudice for Tokyopop [aka my favorite "Why hasn't anyone done this already?" project Smile]

Hamlet should be well worth your time.
You can see samples of it here
http://mentacle.rusticeye.com/PAGES/comics.html
along with some of her other work.
Johanna_Todd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking into the artwork for the Hamlet manga and I have to say I'm fairly excited. I enjoyed the play so much I think it'll be fun to see the artist's interpretation. The only think that worries me is that there will need to be cuts made. For all the Shakespeare plays I worry about what they'll deem unimportant. I am glad they are cutting it because the manga otherwise would be quite lengthy.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Normally I would take offense at something like this, being an English major, but heck, if it draws people into real Shakespeare, or gets them to understand why he's been canonized, I'm for it. I know some English teachers will hate this, though...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1