• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Share A Picture of your Manga Collection.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MangaisAwesome94

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
If any of you guys are interested in anyway, i uploaded my manga collection on youtube i started to collect manga last year in march and i have 426 volumes can't wait to get more volumes if you guys want to check out my collection and recommend me some series feel free to check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3vBYsHW_p8

Thanks and have an awesome week-end
SSKK6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa: Man, I couldn't stand having my manga set up like yours, haha. I gotta be able to clearly see all of it. I'd take a picture of my collection but I'm in a strange living situation right now so that isn't possible. Why do you have Parasyte ordered by colour?! I think Phoenix is organized the same way.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
SSKK6 wrote:
@classicalzawa: Man, I couldn't stand having my manga set up like yours, haha. I gotta be able to clearly see all of it. I'd take a picture of my collection but I'm in a strange living situation right now so that isn't possible. Why do you have Parasyte ordered by colour?! I think Phoenix is organized the same way.

I actually forgot to organize Old Boy that way (since it's a new addition) and thus, quickly corrected that. There's something about seeing things in rainbowbetical order that greatly pleases me. It's basically just that. I can do it with so few series that when I see one I can do it for, I do it.

I really do wish that I could have everything only be one shelf thick, but I simply do not have the room to fit that many bookshelves here. So it's this set up or things holed away in boxes.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Mwahahaha! It is time for my twice yearly collection pictures update! I swear I take more pictures each time.... this is the post Otakon update (the other is post Xmas/Bday, naturally)

click here to see it all! I even got a new wallscroll (I've ordered two more, I'll just take pics and update it once they come in)

Cripes, that has to be the most complete Tezuka collection I've seen yet!
Also Skullman, damn! Is that worth collecting? I only have the first volume but it seems like good cheesy stuff.
Props for Courtney Crumrin too! I've always admired your taste but that's the cherry on top!

I'd upload pics only my shelving isn't great, everything's kinda on top of each other... :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, the only Tezuka I am missing from that collection are:
Kodansha's bilingual Crime and Punishment (my new holy grail)
Triton of the Sea (that should be fixed soon)
The Crater (not out yet, but I did do the Kickstarter for it)
And older editions of things (like Viz's Black Jack or Kodansha's bilingual Princess Knight). But I will buy every Tezuka manga that comes out here! I can resist! I don't necessarily get every Teuka anime that comes out here though. I should consider getting more (I only have part of Black Jack OVA, Jungle Emperor movie, Metropolis movie, Astro Boy 1980, and Astro Boy 2003. I used to have Phoenix, but actually got rid of it because it kind of paled in comparison to the manga)

I got Skull Man in part because of a trade, but a friend also suggested it. What he said was pretty accurate, the story isn't uber good, but damn is the paneling really awesome, it's pretty much worth looking into for that alone. The Skull Man anime that Sentai put out made me sad. Partly because it was a tease/giant prequel, but if you're planning to look at the anime as a replacement for the manga, know that the main character of the manga isn't even in the anime. No one in the manga is in the anime, the plots not even similar. It's in name only. But I think it fails on its own in part because the entire purpose of the anime was the be a prequel, and it was building up to that with no hint whatsoever. The manga is stand alone.
But back to the manga, I enjoyed it, but especially enjoyed the art and paneling, and the story was decent enough to not make it a chore. I still think the skull mask looks like a fly or something (the anime did have a better skull mask, lol)

I'm rather considering getting the color Courtney Crumrins actually. With a lot of US indie black and white manga, the lack of any greys make it difficult on my eyes. Manga tends to use lots of screentones of course, so it's usually fairly easy on my eyes. But I think the color Courtney Crumrins would make it easier for me to re-read the series (and it's a glorious hardcover, etc, I've seen one in the comic shop). At the same time, I think the black and white suits it though. But I do remember when I went to visit my uncle and went to Comicopia and was so psyched that they had Swallowing the Earth (before the Kickstarter, but after online prices shot up to $100) and the CC: Monstrous Holiday book! I didn't even care that I had to pay full price!
I also have the first vol of Polly and the Pirates (a library had used copies for like 50 cents, but I did rent it before and enjoy it)
More importantly, I only just found out that he did another series in 2012! Damn am I behind! When will they release a full on book of it, dammit?! I am not used to singles!
Highway Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
And older editions of things (like Viz's Black Jack or Kodansha's bilingual Princess Knight). But I will buy every Tezuka manga that comes out here! I can resist! I don't necessarily get every Teuka anime that comes out here though. I should consider getting more (I only have part of Black Jack OVA, Jungle Emperor movie, Metropolis movie, Astro Boy 1980, and Astro Boy 2003. I used to have Phoenix, but actually got rid of it because it kind of paled in comparison to the manga)

Good luck with Crime and Punishment, heard that's a tough one to track down!
Just reminded me that I also have the Black Jack OVA, might watch it tonight actually.
I can't believe I missed so many Tezuka Kickstarters, absolutely kicking myself over it. I've backed other projects and browse it every once in a while but I guess these just flew under my radar. Anymore coming up?

classicalzawa wrote:
I got Skull Man in part because of a trade, but a friend also suggested it. What he said was pretty accurate, the story isn't uber good, but damn is the paneling really awesome, it's pretty much worth looking into for that alone. The Skull Man anime that Sentai put out made me sad. Partly because it was a tease/giant prequel, but if you're planning to look at the anime as a replacement for the manga, know that the main character of the manga isn't even in the anime. No one in the manga is in the anime, the plots not even similar. It's in name only. But I think it fails on its own in part because the entire purpose of the anime was the be a prequel, and it was building up to that with no hint whatsoever. The manga is stand alone.
But back to the manga, I enjoyed it, but especially enjoyed the art and paneling, and the story was decent enough to not make it a chore. I still think the skull mask looks like a fly or something (the anime did have a better skull mask, lol)

Yeah the art just drips atmosphere, and I like that it's still respectful of Ishonomori's style.
I have the anime series downloaded but haven't started it yet. You ever read the original manga tale?

classicalzawa wrote:
I'm rather considering getting the color Courtney Crumrins actually. With a lot of US indie black and white manga, the lack of any greys make it difficult on my eyes. Manga tends to use lots of screentones of course, so it's usually fairly easy on my eyes. But I think the color Courtney Crumrins would make it easier for me to re-read the series (and it's a glorious hardcover, etc, I've seen one in the comic shop). At the same time, I think the black and white suits it though. But I do remember when I went to visit my uncle and went to Comicopia and was so psyched that they had Swallowing the Earth (before the Kickstarter, but after online prices shot up to $100) and the CC: Monstrous Holiday book! I didn't even care that I had to pay full price!
I also have the first vol of Polly and the Pirates (a library had used copies for like 50 cents, but I did rent it before and enjoy it)
More importantly, I only just found out that he did another series in 2012! Damn am I behind! When will they release a full on book of it, dammit?! I am not used to singles!

I think I actually prefer Naifeh's art in B&W, but the colour editions of Courtney Crumrin are still pretty lovely in their own way, I get what you mean though, I think a lot of artists don't know how to make B&W art work in its own these days. All the Silver Age artists could do it no problem but I guess industry innovations and new practices have reduced the need for such a skill.
I started reading the new series but lost track of it, probably buy the collection soon.

I never properly got into Polly either, need to pick it up one day. His B&W + watercolour work in that is the best of both worlds really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
Below are the links to my manga collection (I do not have the energy to resize the photos to a more reasonable size. My collection is a lot smaller than many who have shown their before but it keeps me happy:

Bookshelf one:

http://i.imgur.com/OkGvuPi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5O0XaRg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a0mTQU6.jpg

Fullmetal Alchemist Box set:

http://i.imgur.com/mxycsY7.jpg?1

Bookshelf two:

http://i.imgur.com/NRaCNxz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/J7XdMHs.jpg

Finally my Kimi to Boku collection that I have yet to find a home for so are living in a box (to keep them in good condition). I am hoping to pick a display cabinet soon Very Happy:

http://i.imgur.com/fxHevWU.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/Eo6C3lw.jpg?1
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
@Tsuna Reborn

I was going to say you needed stronger book shelves. However when I got to book case two it is obvious you need to replace the shelves in the first case with glass also.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Oh I know ha, it was cheap and the shelves below stop the whole thing from collapsing but I agree it's not ideal, that being said I do have spare glass shelves from the second bookcase so I could try and replace some of the shelves on the first one. Luckily there will be sturdier shelving on the way shortly as well as more space.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
It is amazing how strong plate glass can be. When you do get better shelving, you should cover the inside back of these shelves with mirror tiles and use them with the glass shelves for your figures and other collectibles.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip Very Happy
timesteel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
Highway Star wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

Good luck with Crime and Punishment, heard that's a tough one to track down!

Not that hard just gotta know where to look

Best $20 I've ever spent
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
@timesteel
blarsgebodifghfwuh? Where on EARTH did you FIND that?! If you find another, GET IT FOR ME!!!
osakaedo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
@timesteel
blarsgebodifghfwuh? Where on EARTH did you FIND that?! If you find another, GET IT FOR ME!!!

LOL that reminds me of the UK edition of Urusei Yatsura from 1983. I gave Jason Thompson a copy to celebrate his publication of Manga the Complete Guide (since that release wasn't in his book. Wink )
Lengarion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:14 am Reply with quote
If you aren't interested in a mostly non-English collection, just skip this one. However, here it is:

(I just realized... some Manga don't have the same amount of volumes as the US editions. Except for 20th Century Boys, they're all complete, though.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 38