• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
drama VS slice of life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I noticed this too. Probably about 50% of the series labeled "slice-of-life" are not slice-of-life. I don't understand how this genre could be so widely misunderstood, but it is.

I really miss being able to simply report incorrect genres. xxxHOLiC has been labeled slice-of-life since the audits began and it has still not been removed from its genre list. And NANA is unquestionably drama. It's very frustrating to not be able to do anything about it.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the unusual "realism" of those shows make it slice of life. While NANA is most certainly drama nothing in that show happens that couldn't happen in real life. same goes for ouran high school host club as outlandish as it may be it is not outside of the realm of possibility.
Haruhi on the other hand is probably slice of life because of the school setting the charcter types etc.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I once made an argument for Haruhi being a slice of life. It's not THAT far off-base.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Maybe the unusual "realism" of those shows make it slice of life.

Realism and slice-of-life are not the same thing, though. Something can be super-realistic but not be slice-of-life at all, but it seems like a lot of people don't understand that. I think that's where a lot of the confusion comes from with this genre.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
Realism and slice-of-life are not the same thing, though. Something can be super-realistic but not be slice-of-life at all, but it seems like a lot of people don't understand that. I think that's where a lot of the confusion comes from with this genre.

I agree. Even when a series is about something extraordinary it can also depict a great amount of realism, but that alone isn't enough to classify a show like that as 'slice of life.'

I'm not exactly sure if I have it correct myself, but I look at that part of the description for slice of life in parenthesis: plotless everyday life

Now I know slice of life will not always be plotless, but the plots are usually of a more subdued and often slow paced nature. Also there are no parts in any of the shows that I listed, or many others, that can be considered "everyday life." Well Whisper of the Heart is close but I still don't think it is close enough to be slice of life.

I look at titles that sort depict the "everyday life" of characters. Maybe not normal, but nothing that can really be called extraordinary to the characters themselves. There might occasionally be a supernatural element involved, but nothing that will really cause an all out battle against ancient aliens in closed space where someone is shouting, "fumoffu!" The supernatural elements usually just fit and flow into the story and even when they create turmoil it is more of the type that seems fated and often causes sadness.

I'm not sure if I'm putting it into words correctly, but that is more or less what I think.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Well Whisper of the Heart is close but I still don't think it is close enough to be slice of life.

Personally, I think Whisper Of The Heart is quite a long way from being "slice of life" and I was even more bemused to see it tagged as "adventure".
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Personally, I think Whisper Of The Heart is quite a long way from being "slice of life" and I was even more bemused to see it tagged as "adventure".
I was just looking at the slice of life genre so I hadn't spotted that. I didn't even look up the titles I just went through the search list, but that is pretty darned funny, just not in a 'ha ha' sort of way.

Oh, and to whomever merged these topics, sorry, I did know I had to go to the individual threads for these type of comments. I'll look them up if I ever have another individual genre question or comment.
Flowright

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I was looking up The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and I spotted "slice of life" as a genre. The show might be a lot of things but I think someone is taking the "'cut-out' sequence of events" part of the description for 'slice of life' out of context, and forgot to look at the fact that the show contradicts every other part of it. Or more like 30 people. I tried to submit an error report and it said the audit was closed and that 30 people voted to keep "slice of life" as a genre for this show.

Or I could be wrong. Is Haruhi Suzumiya really a slice of life show?

Quote:
slice of life (plotless everyday life)
A slowly paced story that portrays a "cut-out" sequence of events in a character's every-day life. It may or may not contain any real plot, and often has no exposition, action, conflict, or denouement, with an open ending. It could be said that the story has no point, except for introducing viewers to characters that they can empathize with. Even if the setting is not realistic, what is presented is always the kind of ordinary, every-day life that anyone could have within that setting.

Edit: I just did a genre search for "Slice of life" and it looks like Haruhi isn't the only one being misclassified:

Ouran High School Host Club
Whisper of the Heart
Great Teacher Onizuka
Planetes
NANA
School Rumble

School freaking Rumble?! Seriously?!

And I got these titles in just glancing at the top quarter of the first page of the search. There are a lot of other titles that also look to me like they really don't belong in this genre. I think that audits are really helpful for the genre search in the Encyclopedia but it doesn't look like people are really understanding the "slice of life" genre at all.

Or again, it could be just me; please ignore or correct me if it is.

Here is my post,
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=104264

or I am happy to discuss it here...

How is School Rumble not classified Slice of Life? It's just comedy where you see the protagonists day in and day out...normal life...I don't see drama either.

And yes I added Slice of Life to School Rumble so natural that I am concerned Confused

How about you try explaining in more simple term slice of life? Surprised

Yes "plotless everyday life", Yotsuba seems pretty plotless to me, and "school rumble" too. It's really pure comedy. spoiler[Unless you consider the development of Harima character development as drama? Pretty weak for me I suppose....]

Quote:
Well Whisper of the Heart is close but I still don't think it is close enough to be slice of life.

I coudn't agree more, remove slice of life for Whisper of the Heart, that is obviously drama.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Drama and slice of life are mutually exclusive, but just because something is not drama does not mean that it is automatically qualified as slice of life. School Rumble is neither drama nor slice of life, because it is first, foremost, always and all-importantly a COMEDY.

The series is filled to the brim with ridiculous situations and hijinks; how can you call that "normal life"? It's not plotless either; when Tenma tries to get Karasuma's attention, when Harima tries to get Tenma's attention, that's all plot. Not deep, but who ever said that all plots have to be deep?

How do we convey what is slice of life?
- if it has a story then it can't be called slice of life
- if it has struggle then it's not slice of life
- slice of life is like an introduction without a middle or conclusion
- ???????
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Flowright

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Drama and slice of life are mutually exclusive, but just because something is not drama does not mean that it is automatically qualified as slice of life. School Rumble is neither drama nor slice of life, because it is first, foremost, always and all-importantly a COMEDY.

The series is filled to the brim with ridiculous situations and hijinks; how can you call that "normal life"? It's not plotless either; when Tenma tries to get Karasuma's attention, when Harima tries to get Tenma's attention, that's all plot. Not deep, but who ever said that all plots have to be deep?

How do we convey what is slice of life?
- if it has a story then it can't be called slice of life
- if it has struggle then it's not slice of life
- slice of life is like an introduction without a middle or conclusion
- ???????

So uh... according to your definition, your three listed , every anime has a plot....

Now it makes me think, Azumanga Daioh = slice of life?
I just took the literal definition of vignette of life...

P.S: Any where i can set the default view of a post to "Newest First?" I hate the idea I keep reading the page with the oldest one...and have to click the tab at the bottom to view the latest reply on a post. Thanks. PM would be great.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I think undeadben put it best as [i]plotless everyday life[i]. School Rumble features the characters attempting to create and resolve romantic relationships, and these are often ongoing events. Contrast this to something like Minami-ke or Azumanga Daioh, and you see neither of those have the same kind of regular ongoing story. Slice-of-life shows don't feature character development or plot progression. Also, the events shown in School Rumble, although it occasionally slows the pace to mundane, are mainly the highlights, like when Harima runs away now and then to become a mystic or work on a fishing boat. Those are not everyday occurrences, they are special events. If someone is shown food shopping, it's because they are going to bump into someone else and something significant happens. In a slice-of-life show, when someone goes food shopping, they buy what they need, maybe something happens that is a little unusual to keep things entertaining, but has no importance.
lord eydvar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I think undeadben put it best as [i]plotless everyday life[i]. School Rumble features the characters attempting to create and resolve romantic relationships, and these are often ongoing events. Contrast this to something like Minami-ke or Azumanga Daioh, and you see neither of those have the same kind of regular ongoing story. Slice-of-life shows don't feature character development or plot progression. Also, the events shown in School Rumble, although it occasionally slows the pace to mundane, are mainly the highlights, like when Harima runs away now and then to become a mystic or work on a fishing boat. Those are not everyday occurrences, they are special events. If someone is shown food shopping, it's because they are going to bump into someone else and something significant happens. In a slice-of-life show, when someone goes food shopping, they buy what they need, maybe something happens that is a little unusual to keep things entertaining, but has no importance.

I don't agree with that generalization at all! Yes some slice of life manga/anime are boring plotless and mundane but those are the one that don't last! Tke for example Sand Chronicles! It is a slice of life manga but is not boring or plotless. I think slice of life should be classified as a manga or anime whos events and plots could happen in a normal (non overly dramatic) setting. As in in Real Life!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
No, that's realistic setting. Slice-of-life is intended to be a genre, and that's the problem people have when trying to apply it. I just did a genre search, and Clannad After Story and Emma Season 2 came up. I can understand that Clannad is a little ambiguous, particularly with the arcs focusing on minor characters, but slice-of-life doesn't have plot arcs, period. Emma, though, isn't even close and should obviously be drama instead.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I can understand that Clannad is a little ambiguous, particularly with the arcs focusing on minor characters, but slice-of-life doesn't have plot arcs, period.

That's a very good indicator.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Emma, though, isn't even close and should obviously be drama instead.

Probably "inherited" from the first season, which is more like Emma's day to day life (other than the part on her relationship with William). However the second season is more plot-driven, focusing on spoiler[how she left London, her new life at Mildrake family, and finally reunited with William.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
lord eydvar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
No, that's realistic setting. Slice-of-life is intended to be a genre, and that's the problem people have when trying to apply it. I just did a genre search, and Clannad After Story and Emma Season 2 came up. I can understand that Clannad is a little ambiguous, particularly with the arcs focusing on minor characters, but slice-of-life doesn't have plot arcs, period. Emma, though, isn't even close and should obviously be drama instead.

But would you agree that Sand Chronicles is a SoL manga?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3