• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers: The Next Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chicogrande

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
DVD sales are down 20% in America, and people wonder why some DVDs are expensive. I guess it could be since less people are buying them, the manufacturer has to price it so that the release makes some money back. Of course, if you like to download anime for free, then you can go and suck the blood off the dying Anime industry a little more and speed the process along.

(Why haven't they wisen up, the Japanese animation companies, and provide downloadable material?)

Or, if you are an Anime enthusiast and collector, you will purchase it without blinking an eye and appreciate the artistic merit of it. You can enjoy it and have fun watching it.

You got to learn from the fans who purchase region 2 DVDs. They do it because they love their anime.

And yes, it sounds like an interesting, off-mainstream, piece of art. I just might purchase it, regarless of its "gross" price.
Serge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:
DVD sales are down 20% in America, and people wonder why some DVDs are expensive. I guess it could be since less people are buying them, the manufacturer has to price it so that the release makes some money back. Of course, if you like to download anime for free, then you can go and suck the blood off the dying Anime industry a little more and speed the process along.

(Why haven't they wisen up, the Japanese animation companies, and provide downloadable material?)

Or, if you are an Anime enthusiast and collector, you will purchase it without blinking an eye and appreciate the artistic merit of it. You can enjoy it and have fun watching it.

You got to learn from the fans who purchase region 2 DVDs. They do it because they love their anime.

And yes, it sounds like an interesting, off-mainstream, piece of art. I just might purchase it, regarless of its "gross" price.

More like you shouldn't buy it, so Bandai Visual get the hint more about their price, and start reducing prices. $55 is just a joke, if any American anime company released it, so it would $10-$15 MAX Retail. And Yes, this is the reason why more people download anime.

I ain't even shown in interest in this show because of the words "Bandai Visual" on it, hate them, stupid prices!!!! ah.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
My answer to Bandai Visual is usually Netflix, but I can't find this title. Is it listed under something else? (I will neither waste my money paying $55 for 40 minutes of animation--supporting the industry is important, but so is not paying more than something is worth--nor download anything for free).
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
My answer to Bandai Visual is usually Netflix ...

Same here. Netflix is certainly a better route for BV releases. Their insane pricing scheme definitely needs some work. To date, the only title I've purchased from them is Gunbuster. I also plan on buying Gunbuster 2 as well, but only if it is released as a box set like Gunbuster was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ENJN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Good review!

One small nitpick. The original manga is from the April 1980 issue of "Manga Shounen." Not 2006. (I own the manga and double-checked, but it's also up at the official website http://bandaivisual.us/sos/02_sakuhin.html )
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
ENJN wrote:
Good review!

One small nitpick. The original manga is from the April 1980 issue of "Manga Shounen." Not 2006. (I own the manga and double-checked, but it's also up at the official website http://bandaivisual.us/sos/02_sakuhin.html )

The review is referring to its independent 2006 release (the only one I'm aware of) instead of its original magazine publication, but I agree that I could have been a bit more clear on that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1