• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Guy Kiley

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madlaxNoir2001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
im still hoping for aria to be licensed rescued . But it was a good podcast.
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Quote:
One thing that really struck me while listening to this podcast was when Mike made the comment about the two manga successes that bookended the company's history being two shojo manga (Sailor Moon and Fruits Basket).

This always stood out to me too, I remember that the early days of Tokyopop Cardcaptor Sakura and Magic Knight Rayearth were really popular, while Mars and Marmalade Boy were fan favorites. Tokyopop was always known for having great shojo. It's funny that around the time things started going downhill for Tokyopop, Viz's shojo selection got better with the start of the Shojo Beat line.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I'm not a big manga reader, but this was still worth listening to. Was especially interesting to hear the story about Kino. I hadn't heard the details before as to why it never got continued. That's really a shame.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The returns thing surprised me. I thought I saw list of books that were no longer returnable on Tokyopop's website somewhere around 2007. Around the same time remaindered Tokyopop books started popping up at Boekenfestijn (for a delicious €2 per volume, buy four get the fifth free).
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Mr. Kiley thinks that anger is a legitimate reaction to Tokyopop's closing, because after listening to that interview and hearing about Tokyopop's "strategy," I'm still angry.

I'm definitely not an expert on business, but I don't believe that scaling back and focusing on your core products after a few failed ventures and/or in a bad economy is some outrageous idea. Sure, diversifying and trying out new things is legitimate, too. And of course, some losses are expected from such ventures. But when the engine starts to heat up, you might want to step out of the car and take a look at the engine, to paraphrase Zach's analogy.

I do really appreciate the Manga Stars project. They put their all in fostering new artists (including Svetlana Chmakova, one of my favorites) and putting out unappreciated gems like "Sorcerers & Secretaries." The main reason why people are upset that TP won't give story rights back to their creators is that if the story is unfinished, the creator can't find a different way to publish his/her idea, whether through the web or by pitching it to a small independent comics publisher with a concentrated niche focus.

By the way, some manga companies with a concentrated focus that managed to stay afloat during the economic downturn include Kodansha, Vertical, and Yen Press, who, btw, publish original works, adaptations, Korean manwha and light novels in addition to manga. They are doing it right! Very Happy
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
madlaxNoir2001 wrote:
im still hoping for aria to be licensed rescued . But it was a good podcast.

Yea I got like the entirety of Aqua and a few vol's of Aria. Probably one of the few series I really want to buy.

Also wonder what's the license look for Amachu.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I think the anime being simulcast could mean Future Diary's manga will get rescued at some point.
Harafan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:26 am Reply with quote
There's one point that I think he's purposely trying to vague over a specific thing. Kodansha has licensed to other publishers (aside from Del Rey) during the Del Rey years. And for all of those other companies, they never announced that they were pulling all of their titles away from them. They did announce that they were pulling all of their titles as of a certain point from TokyoPop.

So I have to assume that the relationship between Kodansha and TokyoPop went sour in a huge way. They didn't just sort of fade out of Kodansha licenses, they really seemed to piss off Kodansha. Maybe it's something that's under a corporate DNR that he can't talk about, but I can't help but feel that he glossed over something important there.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
A really good ANNCast with getting to listen some of the details of Tokyopop's rise and fall. I too lament Tokyopop's demise, it sucked for the employees and consumers alike.

I was reminded of reading through the monthly Comic Preview Guides of a few years back and Tokyopop would have it's own little section in there that would go on for pages. I would marvel at how many titles were ongoing or freshly announced. That as time went on the pages started decreasing and I thought to myself "this is a sign of something not good".

The other memory that sticks out in my mind was San Diego Comic Con, probably of 2006, when Tokyopop had this huge booth in the middle of the exhibit floor. If you got in line and signed up at one of their computer stations the employees would give you a ticket that was good for buying a manga for $1.00. And they had plenty to choose from. They gave out T-shirts and other goodies too.

I was chatting to one of their employees at the booth, talking up the Elemental Gelade manga, and she apparently liked what she heard and gave me a ticket to a party Tokyopop was hosting one night. I dragged my brother to it that evening and was surprised to see that Tokyopop had rented out an entire bar/night place in downtown San Diego that evening. I thought to myself, "damn, they got a little money to spend on entertainment". It was fun enough to check out, along with Tokyopop employees in various states of drunkeness. Wink As a con goer I always thought of that year as the highlight of Tokyopop's presence there. Subsequent years had them decreasing in size until they were finally in a booth the size of what you would see in artists' alley.

Thanks for the good memories Tokypop, I was sorry to see you go.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
This was an interesting podcast and I looked forward to listening to it since it involved the demise of Tokyo Pop. Although I am not a huge manga fan I do pick up a volume here and there so when Mr. Kiley mentioned about Mixx and Smile I had forgotten about that, those were the original names of those publications before renaming themselves to Tokyo Pop, which I did start to collect the Sailor Moon manga under the Mixx label. I think I may even still have some Mixxzine and smile magazines around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2