• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner, Leonardo DiCaprio to Produce Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perpetual159

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
perpetual159 wrote:

Speaking of ignorance, since there's a lot of people hung up about DiCaprio and the quality of his work, etc., I didn't have the slightest idea that The Departed was based on a Hong Kong crime thriller. I really enjoyed The Departed, but it's a shame how many Americans failed to give that much deserved credit to international ideas... or maybe they have, and I've been sitting under a rock. Nevertheless, I still think it's only fair that an Oscar-winning film ought to give deserving credit where it's due.

Of course they won't, or only do a lackluster blurb.

lol... I suppose you're right... but still... I mean, everyone knew that The Ring and all those other films were inspired/adapted/whatever by Japanese films/TV shows, and no one was complaining. And anyway... Japan's Ringu was a lot creepier and darker, at least I thought so. Curse the MPAA for censoring everything! Maybe that's why I didn't think much of The Ring in terms of being "scary", being PG-13, and all. Furthermore, I know the movie was catered for the young high school audience, so again: it's a shame.

In any case, I don't know how strict Japanese are with their ratings, but from what I've seen in Anime and Films, they seem to be pretty lenient and open... with the exception of Noir... I loved how people got shot left and right, and there was never a drop of blood... except for Kirika, and the only reason they did that was to prove she had some sort of humanity. Despite that, I still own Noir for the story, and not for the shooting and lacking gore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
You know what this means gents... And it means that you can now be sure that Neon Genesis Evangelion is also going to be set in America with an all American cast...

Anyway I suppose that as long as they do an excellent job I can dig it... But now that it's set in America there's no excuse not to have a big ass budget! But the fact that they're going with a never proven director worries me... not teh director himself, he may turn out to be awesome, but if the Halo movie got canned because Peter Jackson wanted an unknown to direct then I worry... But then again WB seems to be all about anime now, it's doing Speed racer and giving us 'Batmanimatrix'... so I'm going to have faith.
render

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
darkmstr wrote:
Given that the new movie is supposed to include the first 3 volumes of the manga, which covers even more ground, I really hope RR doesn't let it become a jumbled mess.

You mean like how the original animated Akira was a jumbled mess? It was an awesome movie - don't get me wrong - but I don't think anyone can deny that it was pretty jumbled and messy.

In fact, I think it would be amusingly appropriate if this live-action adaptation ended up similarly jumbled. Didn't make the original movie any less enjoyable - why should it make the live-action version less enjoyable?

I think we can all agree that the manga is paced just fine... but that movie was... wow.
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
remember there was suppose to be an Akira movie a couple of years ago with Jet Li, that never went through...........i doubt if this will go through, the Neo Eva movie has been in "production" for years and years now and still nothing has been done.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
man i wonder if how many japanese people were upset when gonzo adapted the count of monte cristo into a sci-fi anime( answer: zero)

Man I can wait for a live action cowboy beebop movie staring jackie chan and chris tucker

COWBOY BEEBOP(RUSH HOUR IN SPACE)

I'd pay to watch that
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote
denkigrve wrote:
Something else you all keep glancing over. Otomo is executive producing the feature.

Quote:
From the Hollywood Reporter Article:
Greg Silverman is overseeing for Warners. Otomo is executive producing. Legendary Pictures is co-financing.

So he's part of the creative process for the film. My guess is that this is similar to Frank Millers role in the production of Sin City as well as 300. On top of that Greg Silverman did good things for 300 and Batman Begins.

On the "disrespect" comment about moving to NY. I think all arguments about "disrespect" should stop now. Otomo is involved. He's got to approve the use of his characters and story. This is dependant on how his role in the project was negotiated, but considering the price I've seen floating around for the rights. He's involved.

Whelp. Hearing the original author's involvement sure shuts me up. That is good to hear. Can't argue against that.

GATSU wrote:
Not really, since the Miller stuff was expected to sell better, since the movie adaptations had better hype than V for Vendetta. But V did fairly well as a mainstay title in a dying industry; though that's not saying much, considering the industry.

What dying industry? Manga is a part of the same industry as American comics. Are you saying manga is a dying industry too? Sounds more like American comics bashing and someone trying to cry wolf of a death knell for American books. I think American books are doing just fine thankyouverymuch. Sure manga is currently outselling it, but that shouldn't be surprising as it's a hot right now and a cheaper to produce product with a good volume from Japan that is flooding the market.

Don't get me wrong. I love manga. I just can't stand it when American fans put down American books and turn their nose up at their own country's books.

Meanwhile European and South American comics. Now there's a dead industry in America. Sigh. Sadly. It's easier to find a needle in a haystack than many of those in print.

zetsuie wrote:
Man I can wait for a live action cowboy beebop movie staring jackie chan and chris tucker

COWBOY BEEBOP(RUSH HOUR IN SPACE)

I'd pay to watch that

Shocked You take that back and wash your darn filthy mouth out with soap right now, buddy!
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
Xenos: I'm ok with American comics, just not some of the dumb practices behind companies selling them.
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
i think the movie could come out good, akira was one of the first anime that i saw and thought WOW this is cool, it got me into watching other anime.
eviltimes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Please God, let Leo not appear in this picture.

He ruins everything he touches.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
eviltimes wrote:

I think the Titanic was ruined before he got there. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Whelp. Hearing the original author's involvement sure shuts me up. That is good to hear. Can't argue against that.

I don't understand why it wouldn't, unless you're of the intensely arrogant opinion that you know best about how to adapt the story to fit a big-budget American production because you saw the animated version.

If you love the original so much then why wouldn't you trust the person who made it?

eviltimes wrote:

I need to stop reading this thread.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I need to stop reading this thread.

Easier said than done. I want to stop as well, but I can't help but to keep checking on here to see what else is being said that either makes sense or becomes something that's so dumb that while may try to prove a good point, it fails.....horribly.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
eviltimes wrote:

One must wonder, then, what Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator had been like if he wasn't involved. Now, Catch Me If You Can was critically acclaimed and has grossed over $500 Million; and, let's see, The Aviator won 5 Academy Awards. Damn, if Leo wasn't involved, maybe the films would have grossed $1 billion and won 11 Oscars.

Get an f'ing life people.
perpetual159

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
eviltimes wrote:

One must wonder, then, what Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator had been like if he wasn't involved. Now, Catch Me If You Can was critically acclaimed and has grossed over $500 Million; and, let's see, The Aviator won 5 Academy Awards. Damn, if Leo wasn't involved, maybe the films would have grossed $1 billion and won 11 Oscars.

Get an f'ing life people.

I don't understand why all the DiCaprio bashing, either. But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Nevertheless, give the guy a freaking break. He's worked his ass off to be where he is today, an no one can take that away from him. The fact that he has a pretty face has little to do with it. The fact that he was a Dysney kid (they used to broadcast Boy Meets World in the Dysney channel, but I believe the copyrights belong to WB, so correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't mean he's bound to meet the same fate all those other morons did with drug addiction, and shaving their heads *cough*. And most importantly, the fact he was in Titanic and just because all those little girls used to swoon for him has very LITTLE to do with it. The man is talented, and gifted. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be where he is today. He would've most likely been a one-hit-wonder from some random teenage movie like so many other that for that exact same reason, I can't even name off the top of my head.

And yes, I'm a girl, but I appreciate talent and personality a whole lot more than a pretty face, for superficial beauty fades with time, and in essence when it comes down to it, that's completely irrelevant. But whatever... let ignorant people continue thinking that just because you're "good-looking" you're bound to be a mindless airhead, or so goes the stereotype. Why don't you all stop hating already... live and let live, for God's sake.

P.S. For the record, I'm not defending Leonardo DiCaprio because he's good looking or whatever, but because of who he has become and all that he has accomplished. Furthermore, he's definitely not my type.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
perpetual159 wrote:
The fact that he was a Dysney kid (they used to broadcast Boy Meets World in the Dysney channel, but I believe the copyrights belong to WB, so correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't mean he's bound to meet the same fate all those other morons did with drug addiction, and shaving their heads *cough*.

He was on Growing Pains near the end, not Boy Meets World.

I have no problem with him, I just think he's too old for either of the lead roles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13