• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner, Leonardo DiCaprio to Produce Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
I don't understand why it wouldn't, unless you're of the intensely arrogant opinion that you know best about how to adapt the story to fit a big-budget American production because you saw the animated version.

I'm sure there are people who would know better than someone who's only shot a couple of shorts, though. It'll be like Pitaf all over again.

Demon:
Quote:

One must wonder, then, what Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator had been like if he wasn't involved. Now, Catch Me If You Can was critically acclaimed and has grossed over $500 Million;

"Catch Me If You Can" had Hanks and Spielberg attached to it.

Quote:
and, let's see, The Aviator won 5 Academy Awards.

None for Best Actor, though.

perpetual:
Quote:
He's worked his ass off to be where he is today,

No, he didn't. He dropped out of my high school.

Quote:
The fact that he has a pretty face has little to do with it.

He wouldn't have been cast for Titanic, if the Romeo and Juliet remake wasn't a hit.

Quote:
The fact that he was a Dysney kid (they used to broadcast Boy Meets World in the Dysney channel,

He had nothing to do with that show. He was on Growing Pains, though.

Quote:
And most importantly, the fact he was in Titanic and just because all those little girls used to swoon for him has very LITTLE to do with it.

The girls were the reason it didn't bomb.
perpetual159

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
perpetual159 wrote:
The fact that he was a Dysney kid (they used to broadcast Boy Meets World in the Dysney channel, but I believe the copyrights belong to WB, so correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't mean he's bound to meet the same fate all those other morons did with drug addiction, and shaving their heads *cough*.

He was on Growing Pains near the end, not Boy Meets World.

I have no problem with him, I just think he's too old for either of the lead roles.

Haha... thanks for the correction... I always confuse those shows... But yeah, if he's playing one of the main roles (i.e. a teenager), then the make up crew is going to have to do some serious magic because I think that he's already past that point. But then again, it's an adaptation, so for the sake of DiCaprio playing one of the main roles, they might just make the characters older. Who knows....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
perpetual159 wrote:
Zoe wrote:
perpetual159 wrote:
The fact that he was a Dysney kid (they used to broadcast Boy Meets World in the Dysney channel, but I believe the copyrights belong to WB, so correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't mean he's bound to meet the same fate all those other morons did with drug addiction, and shaving their heads *cough*.

He was on Growing Pains near the end, not Boy Meets World.

I have no problem with him, I just think he's too old for either of the lead roles.

Haha... thanks for the correction... I always confuse those shows... But yeah, if he's playing one of the main roles (i.e. a teenager), then the make up crew is going to have to do some serious magic because I think that he's already past that point. But then again, it's an adaptation, so for the sake of DiCaprio playing one of the main roles, they might just make the characters older. Who knows....
I think he would be good as the military general as long as he grew a beard
NervClaX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I think Hollywood should be taking baby-steps and adapt something simpler like Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue or Crayon Shin-Chan, or maybe Nymphet.

Trying to re-make Akira on your first try is like learning to ride a bike on a Harley-Davidson.

Of course, we're all overreacting. Akira will most likely never happen. Look how old the Battle Angel Alita story is and we still haven't seen so much as a production still from James Cameron.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Nerv: Perfect Blue and Nymphet have already been adapted. They've been retitled to "Requiem for a Dream" and "Hard Candy". Rolling Eyes But all kidding aside, I agree they should start with something low-budget, which is why I'm surprised they haven't done anything with Lupin yet.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Nerv: Perfect Blue and Nymphet have already been adapted. They've been retitled to "Requiem for a Dream" and "Hard Candy". Rolling Eyes But all kidding aside, I agree they should start with something low-budget, which is why I'm surprised they haven't done anything with Lupin yet.

Green Jacket or Red Jacket? Monkey Punch Sensei can't decide....

GTO Neko wrote:
Easier said than done. I want to stop as well, but I can't help but to keep checking on here to see what else is being said that either makes sense or becomes something that's so dumb that while may try to prove a good point, it fails.....horribly.

Did you know that the Mongoose are born blind and hairless?
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:
I think Hollywood should be taking baby-steps and adapt something simpler like Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue or Crayon Shin-Chan, or maybe Nymphet.

There's already a Japanese Perfect Blue live-action.

Maybe Americans should focus on adapting American comics for big screen instead of Japanese. For instance, I think David Cronenberg's excellent (never read the comic though), Road to Perdition and Sin City are better than the comics they're based on and Ghost World is pretty good also.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:
Of course, we're all overreacting. Akira will most likely never happen. Look how old the Battle Angel Alita story is and we still haven't seen so much as a production still from James Cameron.

Please be right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Demon:
Quote:

One must wonder, then, what Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator had been like if he wasn't involved. Now, Catch Me If You Can was critically acclaimed and has grossed over $500 Million;

"Catch Me If You Can" had Hanks and Spielberg attached to it.

So? By eviltimes's logic of Leo ruining everything he touches, that movie, regardless of Hanks and Spielberg, should have bombed. But it didn't.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
and, let's see, The Aviator won 5 Academy Awards.

None for Best Actor, though.

It was still nominated in that category; along with nominations for Best Picture and Best Director. Again, going by eviltimes' logic, the film should have swept the Golden Raspberries instead.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:

We at least have proof of the script being written.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Leo: CMIYC didn't bomb, because Leo wasn't the reason people went to see it. And The Aviator was well received for its production design, not Leo.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
GASTU, you need to read the context of my posts.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
What is all this DiCaprio hate? °_°
I remember that, even in one of his earliest movies like Romeo + Juliet, he was a good actor and not only one with a nice face... Are some people envious of his success, maybe? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
I remember that, even in one of his earliest movies like Romeo + Juliet,

Make that, say, "What's Eating Gilbert Grape."
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:

Cameron is still going ahead with Battle Angel, it's his next movie to do directly after Avatar... he's going to use the animation and 3D tech he's trying out with Avatar so he can perfect it for Battle Angel.

After the success of Transformers and with Dragonball and Blood filming right now, Hollywood is altogether going to be adapting big anime and manga titles just as they're doing for comic books. Frankly I believe we'll see Akira before we see Robotech and we'll see that before we see Evangelion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13