• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Mad Bull 34

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
One word response to the article:

Ouch.

Multiple word response to the article:

That was a harsh review. And I am completely fine with that. Really bad Anime should receive really negative reviews.
I kind of like this focus into truly awful Anime. Makes me appreciate the good Anime even better.
n00dle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
I liked the review except for the fact that the whole thing reeks of New York arrogance.

"Tons of gawking tourists bring their kids here with them, clogging our sidewalks while they stare slack-jawed at the big buildings."

Yeah, while you, the cool and worldly New Yorker rudely push passed them on your way to do IMPORTANT things, cause your such an IMPORTANT person, in the most IMPORTANT city in the world, right?

Don't mind me though, I'm just a simple, uneducated farmer, would that I had the honor of living in New York City. In case you can't tell, I hate NYC.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Uh, I think I'll avoid this one like a plague-carrying army of zombie rats armed with tiny machine guns. (Did I mention that the zombie rats are lead by a tiny Hitler clone? And they all watch fansubs!)

This really does sound like garbage. Usually I can find a few positives somewhere in the review, even if the reviewer thinks they are negatives, but I don't see nothing but suck in this one.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Anyone got a cover shot of this? The title sounds famliar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
The only reason NYC is safe is because of Jack McCoy. Wink

This, kids, is why your English teachers tell you to write about things you have life experiences about.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
n00dle wrote:
I liked the review except for the fact that the whole thing reeks of New York arrogance.

"Tons of gawking tourists bring their kids here with them, clogging our sidewalks while they stare slack-jawed at the big buildings."

Yeah, while you, the cool and worldly New Yorker rudely push passed them on your way to do IMPORTANT things, cause your such an IMPORTANT person, in the most IMPORTANT city in the world, right?

Don't mind me though, I'm just a simple, uneducated farmer, would that I had the honor of living in New York City. In case you can't tell, I hate NYC.

darn those east coast liberals and their tall buildings and places to go
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
What always intrigued me about this anime was the cover of the last US VHS volume which seems to have a clone of HR Giger's Alien on it. Also according to Jonathan Clements synopsis in the Anime Encyclopaedia, the anime's credits actually list 34th Precinct for "assistance". Is this true? I really couldn't see them doing that. Gotta watch this seires. Seems like a good companion piece for the Wild 7 OVA series.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Also according to Jonathan Clements synopsis in the Anime Encyclopaedia, the anime's credits actually list 34th Precinct for "assistance". Is this true? I really couldn't see them doing that.

It's in there. I imagine the conversation going something like this:

(phone rings)
Underpaid NYPD grunt: 34th Precinct.
Producer: (in thick Japanese accent) Uh, good afternoon. My name is Sawamura. I work for a... animation studio. In Japan.
Grunt: Uh... huh.
Producer: My company... "Magic Bus..." is producing a... new animation about 34th precinct... in New York. We would like.... to have your kind permission... to use picture of your building.
Grunt: Well, the building is public property, so you don't really need permission or anything. If you want to arrange a shoot, that goes through the Mayor's Film and TV Office.
Producer: This is animation.
Grunt: Like, a cartoon?
Producer: Yes. But we will... list you in credits as special thank you.
Grunt: (trying to hear over shouting homeless guy in the waiting area) Uh... okay. Well, if it's just drawings, you can do whatever you want.
Producer: Thank you very much.
Grunt: Is that all?
Producer: Thank you very much. (hangs up)
Grunt: F***ing prank calls...
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Aw, no highlight reel? Laughing
kamidai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
This is where I seriously wish that the Buried Garbage was out on DVD, because I have no VHS player and it sounds so horrible that I want to see it.
Ragebot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not exactly sure how a show made with such seemingly artless ineptitude can be truly considered misogynistic. There usually needs to be some attempt at sophistication in order to be truly offensive; i.e. some of the later works of Woody Allen for example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As a New Yorker, I've always taken a perverse amusement in seeing my city through the poorly researched lens of anime.

Have you seen Highlander yet? Wink
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Have you seen Highlander yet? Wink

To be honest, I found it so annoying I couldn't make it five minutes in.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
Hey, I can't help looking at monsterously large buildings that eclipse the sky when I'm in a city that's four to five times bigger than the biggest one around where I live. You should be glad that there are people who come from all around the world to admire the place you live in.

I'm sure Mad Bull 34 isn't the only anime production with a completely screwed up view of New York, but it can't be any worse than some American cartoons' view of Tokyo as being fraught with giant monsters and ninjas.

I wonder if Gunsmith Cats got Chicago right. I hear the production team did actual research in the making of the OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
jsevakis: Try to at least get to the New York scenes. They were hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5