• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note: Another Note- Los Angeles BB Murder Cases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamleee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
[First I'd like to say I'm new so if I do anything wrong, I'm sorry ^^]
I loved the book
n_n
I loved how it was narrated by spoiler[Mello] & how it gives you more information on spoiler[L & Naomi], I liked the plot in general & thought the weird names gave it some character ^^.
I thought it was good how all along your thought that spoiler[Ryuzaki was L & how you didn't find out he wasn't till very near the end].
I would've liked spoiler[Near & Misa] to have been featured more in it, but thats just because their my favourite characters.
^^
& I hope people aren't put off buying it because of all the bad reviews on here Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GetBack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
I felt the novel was weak. spoiler[The use of Shinigami eyes didn't really serve any purpose since BB, by virtue of being Ryuzaki, already knows Naomi's real name in the final confrontation and shouldn't have even been brought up since Mello couldn't have known BB had them.] Also spoiler[I felt that L's appearance at the end was stupid and pointless.]

That isn't to say the novel was a complete waste of time. I did enjoy reading it. The interaction between Naomi and Rue Ryuzaki was interesting.

hey,
i just wanted to say that the fact BB had the shinigami's eyes DID serve a purpose, with those eyes he could know who had the initials B.B and Q.Q with only looking at them. it was a vital part of solving it.
blonkler-sama

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I liked the book, it was great fun to read and i think the clues and stuff really spiced it up. Then I'll admit the names just sounded stupid, but beside of that I don't have much to complain about. Razz Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
stephanypenguin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
i might not be as smart as some of the Death Note freaks(not in the bad way), but i am a fan. i have a question. spoiler[how the heck did Beyond Birthday die?! yea i know from a mysterious heart attack, but how did the first kira and the second kira get a hold of his name?. ]

i didn't understand the locked door with the string, the nail and the wara ningyo. it was the only thing that i didn't understand. i tried reading it over and over again but i'm still lost.

help anyone...... Embarassed
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
stephanypenguin wrote:
i might not be as smart as some of the Death Note freaks(not in the bad way), but i am a fan. i have a question. spoiler[how the heck did Beyond Birthday die?! yea i know from a mysterious heart attack, but how did the first kira and the second kira get a hold of his name?. ]

i didn't understand the locked door with the string, the nail and the wara ningyo. it was the only thing that i didn't understand. i tried reading it over and over again but i'm still lost.

In regards to the spolier question (for those that have read the book more recently please correct any mistakes - it has been awhile since I read the book):
spoiler[Beyond Birthday didn't die because of either Kira. Kira hadn't even been born yet when this story took place. From what I recall Beyond Birthday planned his death as the final victim which resulted in being burned.]

As for your other question I do remember it making a great deal of sense when I read it, but without the text handy I can't say right now. I'll have to look into it.
redustrial

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:
stephanypenguin wrote:

In regards to the spolier question (for those that have read the book more recently please correct any mistakes - it has been awhile since I read the book):
spoiler[Beyond Birthday didn't die because of either Kira. Kira hadn't even been born yet when this story took place. From what I recall Beyond Birthday planned his death as the final victim which resulted in being burned.]

As for your other question I do remember it making a great deal of sense when I read it, but without the text handy I can't say right now. I'll have to look into it.

In response to your spoiler

spoiler[Beyond Birthday did die at the hands of Kira. He dies on January 21st, 2004. It says so in the end of the book. Light picks up the notebook in 2003. It says in Death note Volume 13 in the time line "01.21.2004 - Beyond Birthday is killed by the power of the Death Note"]

so that's what's going on with that.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
redustrial wrote:

spoiler[Beyond Birthday did die at the hands of Kira. He dies on January 21st, 2004. It says so in the end of the book. Light picks up the notebook in 2003. It says in Death note Volume 13 in the time line "01.21.2004 - Beyond Birthday is killed by the power of the Death Note"]

Hmm I didn't recall that. As I said it's been awhile since I originally read it. I believe this requires a rereading. I'll get back to you later.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
redustrial wrote:

That was a few years after the novel takes place, though; Beyond Birthday does not die in the fire, since Misora saves him. He is arrested and his name becomes public knowledge.
Door trick...picture a giant > of string, the top on the key, the bottom running under the door, and the point on the doll. Pull on it and the key pops out and can be pulled under the door.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
That was a few years after the novel takes place, though; Beyond Birthday does not die in the fire, since Misora saves him. He is arrested and his name becomes public knowledge.
Door trick...picture a giant > of string, the top on the key, the bottom running under the door, and the point on the doll. Pull on it and the key pops out and can be pulled under the door.

Thanks for the reply! I just finally got around to rereading it myself and here I find a post already explaining the very thing I was going to write.
Janet The Saint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I just got done reading the book after some reviews and while the ending was surprising, it was highly unsatisfying.

I agree with the ridiculousness of a spoiler[ shinigami dropping it's eyes. ] I mean, come on.

And spoiler[ Mello ] being the narrator was kind of out of place to me. I knew the book was going to be short, but I didn't know it was going to be so short.

The killer's plan seemed kind of lame to me. It makes sense, but for dramatic effect, I would've prefered more than those killings.
I thought those names were code names at first, you know, to protect identities, but those names are ridiculous.

Enjoyed the L moment at the end. But honestly, Naomi really needs to make things click a hell of a lot faster. I could tell from the beginning she was being given clues.

By the way, spoiler[ the whole him dying January 21st made me think of the whole number thing. Which was way too complicated. ]
Ls_silence

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
i find it interesting that so many people didn't like this book. i thought that it being narrated by spoiler[Mello] to be perfect, because it fills in the gap left by the actual series of where Mello was, and adds a certain twist to the relationship that people thought that L, Near, and Mello once had.

but i did find it strange that spoiler[Beyond Birthday had shinigami eyes], but while saying that i found it but prelude something that could be written about or added to later, say if there were to be a book written about a different case that L solved.

this book was amazing though, because it constantly makes you think and makes you question what you once thought about L, Naomi Misora, the LA BB murder case and the relationship between a shinigami and a human being.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
So I gave in to the completist side of me, and decided to purchase a copy. [That 40% off sale a while back helped, too. ^^;]

ANBU:
Quote:
I thought that a human being born with spoiler[shinigami eyes ]was too ridiculous. Seriously, a spoiler[shinigami dropped its eyeballs into the human world?]

I thought that was kind of forced, too, especially since it still doesn't automatically make it easier to find his victims. Though if I were a betting man, I'd imagine the eyes came from him being the spoiler[son] of a Shinigami + human, if possible.

Quote:
And the whole thing being narrated by Mello, who is spoiler[already dead], just seems like a random tack-on to include the character.

I think the reason Mello's the narrator is he can relate to the killer, even if he doesn't necessarily agree with those methods.

Quote:
And on the subject of Naomi, she's pretty much led by the hand to figure out all the clues left by the murderer. She's a top FBI agent, but she has to be spoon-fed clues?

Not all FBI agents are investigators. So I'm guessing L picked her, because it's her jurisdiction, and because she had free time.

Quote:
Not to mention that the author didn't bother to research foreign names. Backyard Bottomslash? Believe Bridesmaid? I half expected someone named 'Krispy Kreme' to pop up. The crazy names really hurt the suspension of disbelief needed to take the book seriously.

Those are pretty horrible, but my favorite is how they're able to get around L.A. so easily.

Faiga: I sort of predicted the culprit early on, since I didn't really see the point of spoiler[L talking to Misora anonymously and then in person as a different guy].

Quote:
Does that mean there will be 2 other light novels released? One for each case. I would really enjoy seeing L as a kid.

Pester Viz and see what happens. Personally, I'd like to see some Near and Mello side-stories myself.

Ninja Maid: I'm guessing he adapted the name, since it's a good cover for his real one.

Anyway, I sort of like the book, even though the majority of it involves going over clues at the crime scenes, rather than any actual forensics work and interviews with people in the area.
DNkilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
the reason for the rediculous names was explained mellow said at the end spoiler[he was good at forgetting names and misplacing items] and overall this is the best book iv read in a while[[/spoiler]
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I was enjoying it, at least until I got to the end and it was revealed that it was B instead of L.
_L_Lawliet_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So I gave in to the completist side of me, and decided to purchase a copy. [That 40% off sale a while back helped, too. ^^;]

ANBU:
Quote:
I thought that a human being born with spoiler[shinigami eyes ]was too ridiculous. Seriously, a spoiler[shinigami dropped its eyeballs into the human world?]

I thought that was kind of forced, too, especially since it still doesn't automatically make it easier to find his victims. Though if I were a betting man, I'd imagine the eyes came from him being the spoiler[son] of a Shinigami + human, if possible.

Quote:
And the whole thing being narrated by Mello, who is spoiler[already dead], just seems like a random tack-on to include the character.

I think the reason Mello's the narrator is he can relate to the killer, even if he doesn't necessarily agree with those methods.

Quote:
And on the subject of Naomi, she's pretty much led by the hand to figure out all the clues left by the murderer. She's a top FBI agent, but she has to be spoon-fed clues?

Not all FBI agents are investigators. So I'm guessing L picked her, because it's her jurisdiction, and because she had free time.

Quote:
Not to mention that the author didn't bother to research foreign names. Backyard Bottomslash? Believe Bridesmaid? I half expected someone named 'Krispy Kreme' to pop up. The crazy names really hurt the suspension of disbelief needed to take the book seriously.

Those are pretty horrible, but my favorite is how they're able to get around L.A. so easily.

Faiga: I sort of predicted the culprit early on, since I didn't really see the point of spoiler[L talking to Misora anonymously and then in person as a different guy].

Quote:
Does that mean there will be 2 other light novels released? One for each case. I would really enjoy seeing L as a kid.

Pester Viz and see what happens. Personally, I'd like to see some Near and Mello side-stories myself.

Ninja Maid: I'm guessing he adapted the name, since it's a good cover for his real one.

Anyway, I sort of like the book, even though the majority of it involves going over clues at the crime scenes, rather than any actual forensics work and interviews with people in the area.

son of a shinigami is not possible...didn't you read the rules or something? it says very specifically spoiler[[there are male and female shinigami, but it is neither permitted nor possible for them to have sexual relations with humans. they also cannot have sex with each other]] actually, i copied that straight out of how to read 13, so please dont ban me for it this rule is also in the back of vol.12 if you cant find [how to read][/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4