• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Announces Plans for Eden Volumes 11 and 12

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
From what I hear, Bastard's not that far off from the Japanese version.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kagemusha: The market's changed since Legend of Mother Sarah first came out, and more fans are aware of Otomo. Plus, series with female leads who can kick ass seem to be popular here nowadays.

It's changed, in the opposite direction of manga like Mother Sarah, as Eden's poor sales seem to indicate.
As for the popularity of strong female leads, this is true, but those manga are usually either aimed at girls or the "Top Cow" crowd. I don't think that MS's story and especially not its art-style would appeal to either of these audiences.
raven369

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate that Eden is such an underrated series. I bought the first 7 volumes back in AnimeNorth 2007. I just started reading it a few weeks ago as I had then finished reading all of my Berserk manga. All I can say is I'm hooked on Eden now. I'm currently reading the 3rd volume as we speak. I really hope the low sales won't cause them to drop this series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha: EDEN doesn't have shojo crossover potential like Legend of Mother Sarah.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
From what I hear, Bastard's not that far off from the Japanese version.

Exactly, Volume 16 came out in January, and it's only up to 24 in Japan. And 24 came out about 1.5-2 years after 23 came out!

So slowing down Bastard!!'s release will help more than hurt in this case.

In a sense, if Eden actually kept the pace it was going at normally, Dark horse would have caught up as well, and then have to wait long period of time for new volumes. But seeing as they didn't bother slowing down with Hellsing until they caught up, I guess Dark Horse doesn't mind catching up to popular series.

But in a sense, slowing Eden down can also keep us from catching up, and getting even slower releases, since after Volume 10, we'd be only about 6 or 7 volums behind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2