• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuu Watase's Absolute Boyfriend Adapted for Live-Action

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crescendoll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Despite the fact that the subject matter initially made me cringe, this is actually my favorite work by Watase. I'm very pleased and excited to hear about a live-action adaption in the works, and I'm definitely gonna watch. =)
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Kind irritated that they updated the ages of the characters, and that the guy looks nothing like Night, but I'll wait for the trailer.
Shawaazu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it doesn't sound like the live action wil be that great. I'll still watch it anyway, though.
sakura_r0se

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
While not my favorite Yuu Watase work, I still enjoyed reading Absolute Boyfriend and I'm actually looking forward to this live-action (and I'm not expecting it to be exactly like the manga). Hmm . . . maybe they updated the ages of the characters because of the content of the manga? It might have been weird to use teenagers I guess . . .
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
No good will come from this, but I will watch it in that "so bad it's good" way.

(Unless it turns out to be more like "so bad it goes past good and back around to bad again")

And yeah, I'm guessing they upped the characters' ages so they could get around spoiler[the whole underage-girl-having-sex-with-a-robot thing ... or maybe just general themes of sexuality surrounding high schoolers]
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
HAHA Zettai Kareshi. Oh Watase Yuu. The premise and the message were terrible, but the series definitely isn't the worst Watase work.

I actually like that they made the characters older; aside from the perversion, the vibe that it gives off spoiler[that it's better to fall in love and stay in love with a fantasy perfect boy than to go for a flesh-and-blood real guy with faults, because if you can program your perfect boyfriend, you can get true love, and TRUE LOVE PREVAILS!] REALLY isn't good material for the impressionable pinheaded little girls who already have their heads in the clouds.[/spoiler]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It's not the Watase work I'd most like to see adapted into something else, since I do consider it her weakest series, at least of those that have been translated (it's a bit hard for me to judge the others :p). But I will probably watch it.

I think that pushing the ages up could actually help the series, if it gives it a more mature feeling overall. It might help fix the flaws of the original series, which is the best thing an adaptation can do.

Or it will just make it worse. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

Now, when can we have something for Alice 19th?
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wish the roles were reversed for the guys. I can totally see Hiro as Night.
Emichan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, I can't wait for this! I am surprised that they picked this, of all manga, to adapt, but I am all for it Anime hyper I like both guys they have cast, and could take them in either role Anime hyper The age shift does make sense, considering the adult content of the manga. I don't mind it. I don't think the fact she was in high school was an important part of the plot. Can't wait to see how it goes.
Celes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Ohhhh my god am I the only one not being so pessimistic about this? It's gonna be fun! I can't wait! I just finished the live action Sailor Moon, so I doubt anything else can be as terrible as that was.

But I DO wish they would animate another Watase title already...
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Really didn't like this manga and I think this is the one way to actually make it worse. Mad But still, I'll probably watch it out of morbid curiosity. I do like the change in age. And maybe Riiko will come out better in the drama. Hopefully, maybe, possibly, she'll actually come across as a likable character who isn't shallow and annoying!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
Ohhhh my god am I the only one not being so pessimistic about this? It's gonna be fun! I can't wait! I just finished the live action Sailor Moon, so I doubt anything else can be as terrible as that was.

The Live Action Sailor Moon was actually good....at least to me. >.>;

It wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad either.

I'm not pessimistic about it, I would watch it. xD
Celes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Celes wrote:

I thought it was so corny, hee. Like, I'm sure if they had a bigger effects budget, it wouldn't be so bad. The story was cute for sure though!
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
I'll probably watch the first few episodes, seeing as how things are going to be a bit different from the manga. But, as I didn't care much for the manga, I'm still a bit iffy. I think changing the ages is a good thing as well, and will hopefully bring the maturity level up. In which case, there is potential.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Celes wrote:

The Live Action Sailor Moon was cute. You just have to accept it for what it is. Something fun!

As for Absolute Boyfriend being made into a live action series...oh dear lord! Laughing Laughing Laughing I just may have to look for it when it comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2