• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shigofumi #8 Altered after Recent Events in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the eighth episode ("Hajimari" or "Beginning") will be edited for television "in light of recent circumstances in the society at large." The same website used almost exactly the same wording in January to confirm that the third episode ("Tomodachi" or "Friends") was edited also. Like the previous time, the announcement gave no future explanation for the changes.

Strange... No explanation? Well, that implies one of two things. One, it's a catch-all excuse for something they want to keep under wraps- in other words, executives making changes for personal reasons. But more likely it's something that their target audience- Japanese viewers- don't need explained to them. So the question is- what exactly has been in the JP news lately?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
For the love of God, AGAIN?!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is becoming a controversial title. Laughing Glad I'm buying this one. 2 censorships and this one is only 5 episodes away from completion not counting episode 8.

So what family tragedies are in the news in Japan recently? Any involving weapons? The last censorship involved a rifle.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Ah good old censorship happy Japan. I remember the day when you used to be pretty lax.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Actually there is alot going on there was girl raped possibly by an American. So there is alot of tension between the US and Japan right because of this and there are people wanting the US presance out of japan and alot of other killing going on.
hara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Japan is getting rid of its problems by denying them, splendid! If the world could always be that simple...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
They are making the certain T.V. episodes,collectible by announcing this.I wonder if Bandai will get it uncut when they release the DVD.I'd like to know what they altered.Episode 7 has some pretty heavy issues,an ugly episode really.Mega spoiler spoiler[ It's a two-parter explaining Fumika's coma/childhood.It also involves guns.]I do hope Bandai releases the uncut version.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
AGAIN?!

The next thing we know, they'll put a black screen on with the text "we're sorry. This episode was too graphic for TV, so we replaced it with these cute pictures of kittens. Buy it when it comes out on DVD. Spend more of your hard earned cash on 2 episode per disc DVDs that cost a fortune."
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
AGAIN?!

The next thing we know, they'll put a black screen on with the text "we're sorry. This episode was too graphic for TV, so we replaced it with these cute pictures of kittens. Buy it when it comes out on DVD. Spend more of your hard earned cash on 2 episode per disc DVDs that cost a fortune."
Nice Kitten...
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
This episode of Shigofumi is brought to you by Relax-O-Vision
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually there is alot going on there was girl raped possibly by an American. So there is alot of tension between the US and Japan right because of this and there are people wanting the US presance out of japan and alot of other killing going on.

Oh. How sad. Sad Man! My life-long dream is to go to Japan!
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
*sighs and opens wallet*

The shun has temporarily been lifted, BVUSA. Be grateful.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
*sighs and opens wallet*

The shun has temporarily been lifted, BVUSA. Be grateful.

I'm still not tempted. I shall stand firm!

...but they're uncut...wah.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
This is a really good marketing startegy......censor the TV so we buy the DVD. And it's working....DAMN YOU BVUSA. DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

Oh. How sad. Sad Man! My life-long dream is to go to Japan!

To be more precise though, it's not tourists the Japanese are angry at, it's the US Military they are angry with. There are at least 2 claims of rape pointed at the US Marines, and several cases of tresspassing, theft and drunken behaviour by other members of the US Military in Japan. Currently I believe all US military members in Japan are being being told not to leave the US bases unless they have to for outside job purposes.

You can get good Japanese news info in English here:

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3