• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation DVD Ranking, February 20–26

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Seeing moe crap like Clannad doing so well really makes me fear for the future of the anime industry :/
calawain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
A very enlightened response, because I'm sure you've watched it and spent a good amount of time evaluating the quality of the work...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I was counting on Geneon to bring us Mononoke. I'm not sure anyone else would be interested in the license
halo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
A very enlightened response, because I'm sure you've watched it and spent a good amount of time evaluating the quality of the work...

I have and compared to the other Key/Kyoto Animation works (Air, Kanon) I'm inclined to agree with CitizenGeek. It's like leftovers that didn't get fully reheated but you eat it anyway because you're too lazy to put it back in the microwave. I'm not saying I completely dislike it or would never buy it, but to see it topping the anime sales charts is a little... disheartening.

The second season of Shakugan no Shana has lost most of any non-moe appeal it had too.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Who ever said Japan's purchasing principles were governed by anything other than name brand appeal anyway?
Outlaw_Spike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:

I have and compared to the other Key/Kyoto Animation works (Air, Kanon) I'm inclined to agree with CitizenGeek. It's like leftovers that didn't get fully reheated but you eat it anyway because you're too lazy to put it back in the microwave. I'm not saying I completely dislike it or would never buy it, but to see it topping the anime sales charts is a little... disheartening.

The second season of Shakugan no Shana has lost most of any non-moe appeal it had too.

But it's the special Fuko limited edition set (described as "Everywhere is Fuko; Only Fuko")! Who wouldn't want that? I know I do.

:o
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Outlaw_Spike wrote:
halo wrote:

But it's the special Fuko limited edition set (described as "Everywhere is Fuko; Only Fuko")! Who wouldn't want that? I know I do.

Okay well then, that settles it. Everyone pack up and go home, nothing more to see here.

Seriously folks, trying to understand Japan's taste in anything really isn't really a worth pursuit. I've tried many times and Otaku are just of such a fickle mold that by the team you think they've figured it out they're onto the next trend. All we need to look at is the result, not the explanation, kind of like every Japanese horror movie ever made. As far as I'm concerned Outlaw Spikes reasoning is as good as any I could come up with.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
Seeing moe crap like Clannad doing so well really makes me fear for the future of the anime industry :/

Ironically, your own avatar is GAINAX's response to the moe-loving crowd. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Clannad rocks. I didn't know I liked "moe" until I saw Clannad. It was the first show I'd seen like that (mostly coming from Shonen stuff). It's awesome. Of course, I tend to be pretty open minded when it comes to media and I "try" to give things time if they start a bit slow. I guess for those who always need something frenetic or who can't stand a show without action/death/etc. that Clannad may not be cool.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
I will bash japan's choice of #1 because it's the obstical to beter things that kyo-ani could be doing.

I'm going on record saying something's gonna be broken if the next show that Kyo-ani do is another Key game adaptation.
robtf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:

My description in opinion form of Shana II so far, in bundles of episodes.

Eps 1-2: Boom. Dissappointing start adapted from a crappy PS2 game.
Eps 3-6: WTF is this... too much. This is too long, compress it, god damnit.
Ep 7: So it's like the OVA, except it focuses on Ike instead of Ogata and is at a theme park instead of a hotspring? Damn it. Don't make this.
Eps 8-9: Oooh awesome, Margery kicking ass in the past and saving the Empire State Building.
Eps 10-12: Character development, from the novels, that was destroyed by the anime original ending to season 1 which was in turn retconned out of existence which combined with residual pain from eps 3-7 caused people to mostly hate it... well, I liked it.
Eps 12-15: PHELES!! And FIGHTS!! GOOD FIGHTS!! Something's in that little clock.
Ep 16: Yoshida angsts about dying, people hope that she does. People hate KOTOKO's singing.
Eps 17-19: Yuji slowly turns badass.
Eps 20: First fight in both seasons of Shana to both span an entire episode AND continue on to the next episode. And it's against this awesome looking badass, too. Too bad, I hate it. The thing I liked about the fights in Shana was that they were progression friendly, spanning 2 episodes lessens that factor quite a bit.

There, and with as little spoilers as possible. Happy?
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin why is it YES!! *high fives all round* when Gundam 00 does well (well in regards to most other stuff but not Code Geass or SEED ;) )but it's meh just marketing when Clannad does well?

dormcat wrote:
CitizenGeek wrote:

Ironically, your own avatar is GAINAX's response to the moe-loving crowd. :roll:

Don't mind him, he "claims" to have watched 10 episodes of Clannad yet says that the girls are submissive, which anyone who bothered to watch half of episode one knows isn't true. So he's either an idiot or trolling.. oh wait he's probably both.

BTW Seiji Mizushima was "given" the reigns to the new gundam series because of FMA's ratings and dvd sales. Anyone find it amusing that Gundam 00 is going to fall short of the mark in both regards?
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Kaioshin why is it YES!! *high fives all round* when Gundam 00 does well (well in regards to most other stuff but not Code Geass or SEED Wink )but it's meh just marketing when Clannad does well?

dormcat wrote:
CitizenGeek wrote:

Ironically, your own avatar is GAINAX's response to the moe-loving crowd. Rolling Eyes

Don't mind him, he "claims" to have watched 10 episodes of Clannad yet says that the girls are submissive, which anyone who bothered to watch half of episode one knows isn't true. So he's either an idiot or trolling.. oh wait he's probably both.

BTW Seiji Mizushima was "given" the reigns to the new gundam series because of FMA's ratings and dvd sales. Anyone find it amusing that Gundam 00 is going to fall short of the mark in both regards?

It's always been just meh marketing, I just liked seeing a name I recognized at the top of the list for once. Though I'm not going to pretend it wasn't for any reason other than it's Gundam.

And why do you keep making such a huge point of Gundam 00's relatively low sale count. I could try to explain why it's selling lower, but it's just not worth trying to understand the buying patterns of "Japanese Otaku" (shudder).

Also this CitizenGeek guy amuses me. Everytime there's three or more shows with a moe girl on the cover he proclaims the downfall of anime. CitizenGeek, DVD sales are politics, just like much of the Japanese media scene. I don't even really know why ANN decided to start carrying them along with TV Rankings as they really aren't very indicative of anything.

In a sense the Japanese anime industry is tiered somewhat. What you are looking at is the rampant Otaku who buys everything by a certain studio/brand name demographic. What you are not seeing is the other demographics that are doing okay for themselves. I'm pretty sure they are making their quota (which is going to be a lot smaller than the likes Kadokawa and Bandai are looking for), so as long as that happens I'm sure we'll keep seeing a tinge of variety on the scene. Consider also that Bandai and Kadokawa have the ability to market their DVD's better than other large corporations and you understand why I say things are tiered.

You can also look at the TV Rankings which are always going to be dominated by kids shows since they have one of the most coveted, accessable and largest demographics in the field.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
And why do you keep making such a huge point of Gundam 00's relatively low sale count. I could try to explain why it's selling lower, but it's just not worth trying to understand the buying patterns of "Japanese Otaku" (shudder).

Because quite honestly it's doing crap for a Gundam and these low sales (for gundam) if anything are going to give us a third SEED series probably at the start of the next decade.

Seriously a year ago if you said 2 series (2nd series which is airing in prime time... can lose 10k of it's dvd avg and be on pace to outsell 00) of Code Geass would outsell the next major Gundam title you would've got laughed at. That's how much the mighty has "fallen".

Oh well more Kira and Lacus in 2010/2011 to look forward to... :roll:
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Because quite honestly it's doing crap for a Gundam and these low sales (for gundam) if anything are going to give us a third SEED series probably at the start of the next decade.

Seriously a year ago if you said 2 series (2nd series which is airing in prime time... can lose 10k of it's dvd avg and be on pace to outsell 00) of Code Geass would outsell the next major Gundam title you would've got laughed at. That's how much the mighty has "fallen".

Oh well more Kira and Lacus in 2010/2011 to look forward to... Rolling Eyes

Whoa okay, that one's actually easy. Just use the Otaku Scoring Card Ratio which goes (Instances of Moe Characterstics+Instances of Bishounen Characters+Instances of Uniform Youth Opinion+Instances of Popular Fanservice) - (Instances of Ugly Characters+Instances of Alternative Opinion+Instances of Content Normalcy with status quo) and you'll see why Gundam 00 doesn't have the appeal of Code Geass to purchasing Otaku. I'll even demonstrate:

Quote:

Code Geass:

Instances of Moe Characteristics:

Nunally the cheerful wheelchair loli
C.C being Tsundereish
Kallen's pretending to be a weak bodied girl
Viletta's Amnesia
Kaguya's little twitchfest there
Shirley's Peppy personality
Cornelia around Euphemia
= 7

Instances of Bishounen Characters:

Lelouch Lamperouge
Suzaku Kururugi
Diethard Ried
Schniezel El Britannia
Jerimiah Gottwald
Clovis La Britannia
Gilbert Guilford
V.V

= 8

Instances of Popular Youth Uniform Opinion:

"Britannia is evil and needs to be taken down"
"I had to kill my father or he'd drag out the war because adults are stupid"
Child prodigies everywhere

= 3

Instances of Popular Fanservice:

Too Many to count so we'll say 30

= 30

Instances of Ugly Characters:

Charles Britannia
Nina Einstein
Andreas Darlton

= 3

Instances of Alternative Opinion:

Inequality and survival of the fittest leads to evolution
Suzaku is a patricide committing hypocrite

= 2

Instances of Content normalcy with status quo:

Brittania
Suzaku

= 2

Add em up:

48-7

Final Otaku scoring card for Code Geass = 41

Gundam 00

Instances of Moe Characteristics:

Marina's figeting incomptent leadership
Feldt's quite demeanor
Nena Trinity
Christina's 16 valley girl personality
Wang's outfits
Louise being a control freak
(Had the gothic lolita Haro been in the actual series and not the manga this category would have been solid)

= 6

Instances of Bishounens:

The 4 Meister's
Billy Katagiri
Hong Long

= 6

Instances of Youth Uniform opinion:

Celestial Being's mission to end all wars

= 1

Instances of popular fanservice:

Sumeragi
2 Beach scenes
Wang's outfits
Nena's outfit
2nd Ending
(Again no gothic lolita haro)

= 6

Instances of Ugly Characters:

Aeolia Schenberg
Katie Mannequin
Sergei Smirnov
Ali Al Sarches (The rugged muscular bearded look just doesn't do it)
Soma Peres (She looks so dead serious and has such a masculine face I'm going to say she is the antithesis of the desired female character design in anime)

= 5

Instances of Alternative Opinion:

The 3 powers
Marina Ishmail (Pacifism)
Alejandro Corner
Lagna Harvey
Thrones
Wang Liu Min

(And not to mention that none of these factions opinions are shown to be inherently wrong or inherently right)

= 6

Instances of Contentness with the Status Quo:

Saji Crossroad (A youth that is content with the life he has is a big no no)
Ali Al Sarshes (A Villain that doesn't want to mess things up but wants a world in which his soldier lifestyle can continue to exist and thus is slightly sympathetic. Also big no no)

= 2

Add em up:

19-11

Final Otaku scoring card for Gundam 00 = 8

I could do Seed as well, but I think people get the point. The numbers are basically an excuse for me to go in depth on the show and don't really mean everything, but the point is that Otaku like to feel content and reassured of their lifestyle at every opportunity. That means characters in their demographic that are desirably attractive, the idea that they might be within reach of their grandeur, that their opinions are correct, and that the status quo, which is people that aren't them are wrong.

Code Geass gives a fair bit of this, while Gundam 00 seems to be deliberately designed to lead them along and then slap them in the face at every possible opportunity with the mere thought that they may not be right about everything and then when they think they have it all figured out, switch gears again so that there's another alternative thought process thrown in their. It's basically the Otaku's worst nightmare. Even it's mecha designs are unorthodox in comparison to what fans think they know mobile suits should look like. Gundam 00 is on the fast track to being the next Turn A Gundam. It'll probably do decently, but it will be a subculture following within the Gundam fandom itself that will truly appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2