Forum - View topic
PR: The Slants Reject Chance at Million Dollar Recording Contract; Turn Down Bodog Battle-of-the-Ban




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
aluria



Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 367
Location: New Westminster, B.C., Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Never heard of this band before but good for them. They didn't let the big companies push them around. They're into it for making music, not money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 9533
Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Other than reminding me of spoiler[Solanin], I fail to see how this press release has anything to do with anime or manga. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vortextk



Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 892
Location: Orlando, Fl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
I figured this was going to be a japanese band at first. Why is this in the news?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
MokonaModoki



Joined: 30 Oct 2005
Posts: 430
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
I figured this was going to be a japanese band at first. Why is this in the news?


They are Asian and they play at a lot of anime conventions, which is why a lot of their press releases end up on ANN.

Quote:
Why is this in the news?


It isn't in the news. Just another press release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Vortextk



Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 892
Location: Orlando, Fl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
This is the "news" network and so I pretty much look at the main site as a page of rolling headlines. Whatever you'd like to call it, semantics, I just had no idea why this was covered until you linked the two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
gridsleep



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
A little bit Alan Parsons, a little bit Steve Vai, and a lot of their own originality. Thank god there are people with integrity still in the music world. (I was going to write "music business" but it is that business that is corroding the whole art. These need to be balanced for it all to work and all we are seeing is the imbalance in favor of business. Once again, the corporations are the corrupting influence.) Go, Slants, Go!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ishmoo



Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Posts: 413
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
These guys totally have my respect. Now I'm gonna go buy their album. I hope they can make it on their own terms now that they've refused to sell their souls to the corporate machine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty



Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Posts: 767

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
These guys totally have my respect. Now I'm gonna go buy their album. I hope they can make it on their own terms now that they've refused to sell their souls to the corporate machine.


I have the feeling that's exactly the reaction they expected. Marketing strategy successful.

Well, that's not entirely fair. There's a decent chance that the contract was unfair, in which case they were right to give Bodog the kiss-off. Still, I can't help but notice that they get to have their cake and eat it too- they get the publicity from being a big hit on the show, and by getting out with an upraised middle finger they also get to "stick it too the man" and win over the downloaders who get off on that kind of stuff. The exposure corporate music can provide and the respectability which comes from not dealing with corporate music, at the same time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ishmoo



Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Posts: 413
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Ishmoo wrote:
These guys totally have my respect. Now I'm gonna go buy their album. I hope they can make it on their own terms now that they've refused to sell their souls to the corporate machine.


I have the feeling that's exactly the reaction they expected. Marketing strategy successful.

Well, that's not entirely fair. There's a decent chance that the contract was unfair, in which case they were right to give Bodog the kiss-off. Still, I can't help but notice that they get to have their cake and eat it too- they get the publicity from being a big hit on the show, and by getting out with an upraised middle finger they also get to "stick it too the man" and win over the downloaders who get off on that kind of stuff. The exposure corporate music can provide and the respectability which comes from not dealing with corporate music, at the same time.


I have no problem with that whatsoever. If they did it on purpose more power to them! It was a brilliant move. Record labels have been trapping artists into terrible contracts for decades. It's almost become par for the course for brand new acts.

Regardless, times have changed with the ease of digital media. It's time for a new business model. Radiohead sold over a million digital copies of their "In Rainbow" album before the end of the first day it was released by producing it themselves and allowing their fans to pay what they thought it was worth. Supposedly, that album made them a wicked amount of money. No record contract, no paltry royalties, no corporate micro-managing. It's time for musicians to take control of their own music. We fans will only benefit. Real artistry will flourish and the generic pop swill record companies love to push down our throats won't be the only thing on the radio anymore. I can dream anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
simonslant



Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 3
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Ishmoo wrote:
These guys totally have my respect. Now I'm gonna go buy their album. I hope they can make it on their own terms now that they've refused to sell their souls to the corporate machine.


I have the feeling that's exactly the reaction they expected. Marketing strategy successful.

Well, that's not entirely fair. There's a decent chance that the contract was unfair, in which case they were right to give Bodog the kiss-off. Still, I can't help but notice that they get to have their cake and eat it too- they get the publicity from being a big hit on the show, and by getting out with an upraised middle finger they also get to "stick it too the man"


Hi,

My name is Simon and I play in The Slants. As someone noted above, we are not Japanese; we're more like a pan-Asian band. Sometimes I like to call it Jrock, but with a C, K, P, V, and T instead. And yes, we do play a lot of anime/Asian cultural conventions worldwide. We're also sponsored and work with several anime companies, etc. And we have manga's relating to the band, etc.

Anyway, we never actually made it onto the tv show - that was the contract that we rejected. We had 4 different attorneys look at it, and every single one told us not to sign it because it would allow the company to own anything we played on the show as well as other synch licenses and rights...about 73 pages of glorious legal terminology.

A lot of our fans have been following and supporting us through the news - including this site - so I felt it was our responsibility to let them know why we suddnely dropped out of this competition. I also felt that I should warn others going into similiar situations to be very careful of people trying to lure honest, hardworking artists into a binding contract.

Believe me, I'd love to be able to do this full time as a living rather than scrape by while working a 60-hour job; but I'm not going to do something to allow someone else to own the soul of the band.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ishmoo



Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Posts: 413
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Hey there Simon. You guys obviously made the right call and earned a lot of repect to boot. I used to know a lot of musicians and some were faced with similar spirit killing contracts. I'm glad you were smart and didn't fall for the corporate pushers. They can be really convincing and a lot of artists have ended up with disasterous chains around their necks for years. Hopefully, your stand will cause the other participants to look more closely at what they're asked to sign as well.

Wishing you all the luck in the world!

Alecia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7235
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
So are they children of rich parents, or bohemian fantasists? One thing for sure they won't be around for long. Enjoy them whilst they last.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonslant



Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 3
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
Hey there Simon. You guys obviously made the right call and earned a lot of repect to boot. I used to know a lot of musicians and some were faced with similar spirit killing contracts. I'm glad you were smart and didn't fall for the corporate pushers. They can be really convincing and a lot of artists have ended up with disasterous chains around their necks for years. Hopefully, your stand will cause the other participants to look more closely at what they're asked to sign as well.

Wishing you all the luck in the world!

Alecia


Thank you, I appreciate it!

Regards,
Simon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
slickwataris



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 1334
Location: Carol Stream, Illinois

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I bought into the publicity and pre-ordered the new cd.

When can I expect it in the mail simonslant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
simonslant



Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 3
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I bought into the publicity and pre-ordered the new cd.

When can I expect it in the mail simonslant.


Haha, awesome.
Thank you very much, I seriously appreciate it. We'll be sending you a the cd (when it gets in our hands...probably 2-3 weeks), some stickers and I'll see what other goodies we can thorw in (probably a poster, maybe a button or patch).

We do appreciate it very much and I hope we'll see you this summer on tour!

~simon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group