• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any fans of Eureka Seven?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sleepingforest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
hi guys, how are you doing.

I've been diving quite some times now, you see im kinda drown in anime rite now and its kinda hard to get pulled back to work from time to time (especially when you are a freelance Laughing )

well lately im coming across this title Eureka Seven, i find it really interesting how they plot the story and character background settings. of course still the same old anime style with lots of fictional theories, nevertheless im wondering. why isn't it rated within the top 10 on the chart, im pretty sure its hella better than Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (within top 10). Gurren-Lagann almost bores me, the plots are coming out of nowhere from the beginning. i almost give up after watching 3 episodes, during the time i am kinda out of anime to watch so i am glad i have finished it. because the ending is so good.

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php

in overall, whether be the intro (how story gets the audience into the mood), flow (how the main character meets others) and the ending (how it concludes). personally i think Eureaka Seven have better heights than Gurren-Lagann, so i ask why TTGL is better than Eureaka Seven?

further more if someone can suggest which other titles are similar to Eureka Seven will be great. thanks a bunch!
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Eureka Seven fan here too! It's actually my favorite anime series of all time. (Big O in a verrrry close second)
I can't speak for Gurren Lagann since I've only seen the first few episodes, but I loved what I saw, although I don't think it'll top Eureka. To me they're two completely different types of shows-GL is an over the top mecha, while E7 I wouldn't consider 100% mecha. It's more of a full on science fiction story with the mechas being just a part of the science fiction elements.
As for the ratings, I would take it with a grain of salt. A lot of it is based on popularity and the list fluctuates. It's certainly not a definitive list based on the actual quality of the series.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Hot series tend to get rated very highly at first, and the only other series I can think of that was as hot as TTGL last year was maybe Claymore. With rare exceptions those ratings tend to drop over time as the fervor over those titles dies off and the haters start moving in; The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was, IIRC, as high as 4th at one point but has since dropped to 12th. I expect Death Note, TTGL, and a couple of the other newer additions to the Top 20 to drop off some over time, too, before leveling out.

Eureka 7 is a better-than-average series as mecha titles go, and certainly had some excellent moments (the climatic scene of episode 26, where spoiler[Renton and Eureka reunited], was my pick for the best scene of 2006), but overall it is not on the same level as the other established top titles. It tends to drag badly at times and stretch its story too much, among other minor faults.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Courbet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Well I thought the ANN reviews of it were a tad harsh in places. Actually I read those first and then decided that maybe the title was worth a go and while, admittedly, some of the xtreme sports references are a little so-so, once I started I was so hooked to the series that I'd finished it in less than a week - 50 episodes! Not good for my social life Smile

Anyway, just really wanted to say that Eureka 7 is one of my top 10 series Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I liked it personally, although it's not without it's flaws and well...there's better mech series out there. It did have some good characters, an interesting story, and cool action however. I liked enough to buy it, and am anticipating completing my collection of it in a month or two.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the ratings on this site are tremendously questionable to me. Not that it should be held against it, as it's difficult or impossible to create an effective rating system that everyone can agree on.

I certainly agree that newer "hot" shows tend to be hyped and rated ultra-unfairly. Not just in the ANN ratings but just on message boards and everywhere in general. I don't think it's "haters" that move in afterwards that lower a show's ratings. It's simply a newer crowd of more objective viewers, often those that aren't biased by peer pressure created by the fansub-following crowd, starting to cast their votes. And when a show has been hyped and an objective viewer watches it, often that viewer is disappointed because his expectations were (rightfully so) set very high due to all the unfortunately undeserved hype.

I agree that TTGL is an unimpressive show. No matter how I look at it, though it certainly has some very unique and respectable features, and may certainly deserve a good rating, it also has many terrible features and in no way deserves to be considered an all-time great.

I agree that Eureka Seven is far superior to TTGL. Although personally I did not love Eureka Seven (it doesn't suit my tastes) it's extremely well-made and totally deserving of a high reputation. Eureka Seven is probably my personal most significant example of an anime that I did not personally love, but that I still think is an amazingly well-made show, and that I would totally understand anyone else who thinks it is among the greatest animes of all-time.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion though and I can see why some people might think TTGL is among the all-time greats too. But I think such a judgement would be a foolish one made by someone who doesn't have refined taste, and is mainly influenced by peer-pressure.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Everyone has the right to their own opinion though and I can see why some people might think TTGL is among the all-time greats too. But I think such a judgement would be a foolish one made by someone who doesn't have refined taste, and is mainly influenced by peer-pressure.

I don't think its not so much a peer pressure issue but more of its a great new thing to have. I mean take for instance Pokemon cards, it was collectible, it was a game, it had our favourite pokemon on cards that we could collect but eventually it died down. It was a fun card game and I enjoyed it a lot that I even went to the pokemon leagues they had in real life (though I only won once) but after a while I realized I had better things to do (haha.......starcraft). However if that analogy doesn't work for you then heres another. When Bleach first came out, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I enjoyed the music, the characters and so on but looking back now at Bleach. Its really not all that great. If I were to rank my top 5 Shounen series that I've watched Bleach wouldn't even be on the top 5. My top 5 being: One Piece, Hajime No Ippo, Hunter X Hunter, Naruto and Eyeshield 21.

It takes a while but once a series settles in after some time it becomes noticeable that first impressions aren't everything. I mean first impressions can be decieving right? An analogy of that for me at least was Turn A Gundam. I first watched the first 2 episodes and thought it was horrible. I gave it a 2nd chance and honestly its my 2nd favourite Gundam series behind Zeta Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I caught an episode of it a couple of weeks ago on AS, and I thought it was good for what they had for the voices, plus that episode was probably one of the funnier ones that they have in the series. I was also glad to hear Crispin Freeman, he's one of my favorite dub voices.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I don't think it's "haters" that move in afterwards that lower a show's ratings. It's simply a newer crowd of more objective viewers, often those that aren't biased by peer pressure created by the fansub-following crowd, starting to cast their votes. And when a show has been hyped and an objective viewer watches it, often that viewer is disappointed because his expectations were (rightfully so) set very high due to all the unfortunately undeserved hype.

Perhaps I should clarify. What I'm referring to as "haters" are the people who get ticked off by highly-rated a series is and start giving it "Worst Ever" ratings deliberately to drag its average down, despite the fact that no reasonable person should conceivably rate it "Worst Ever." The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was a particularly acute case of that, to the point that you had certain people giving it that low a rating in multiple different languages that didn't even have dubs or subs just to hit against its rating. (And let's be real here, even if you hated the content I think you still have to at least acknowledge that there are series out there a hundred times worse. It should score better than that on technical merits alone.) Fortunately a Bayesian weighting partly weeds out such anomalies, but only partly.

The rest of what you say is certainly true. It's detail I probably should have included in my original post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Just because a series isn't the absolute bottom of the barrel doesn't mean you can't rate it as "Worst Ever". If you're rating it that because it's popular then you're being an ass. Full Metal Panic stands as the only show I've given a worst ever rating but I didn't hate it because it was popular. I wanted to like it because it was and that's why I watched it. After a few episodes I hated it so much that I had to drag myself through the rest of the series so that I could lambaste it (as I'm prone to doing) without being a lazy hypocrite that can be beaten with the simple question of "Did you finish it?" and having a response of "No, I only got like three episodes in and couldn't take it" destroying my credibility.

That's sort of just me making it known once again that I hate FMP but also that it is possible to legitimately believe an anime that technically has merit to the eyes of some people can be absolute drek. I was going to mention that it has pretty decent animation quality but it's unfair to save a piece of shit from the garbage as opposed to something older simply because it had the advantage of being made at a later date with better technology.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Ya, even the most popular series can be the "worst ever" in someones eyes.

But
Quote:
you had certain people giving it that low a rating in multiple different languages that didn't even have dubs or subs just to hit against its rating.

Is obviously voting without watching the series.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
Just because a series isn't the absolute bottom of the barrel doesn't mean you can't rate it as "Worst Ever".

Have to utterly disagree with this statement. If you do this, then doesn't it belittle the severity of the meaning of "Worst Ever?" That's as absolute a statement as we have in our rating system, so by definition it does mean the "absolute bottom of the barrel," so the rating shouldn't be used unless a title is truly worse than anything else you have ever seen.

And on a side point, I find it unfathomable that you could justify rating FMP so low by that standard, but that is not a debate I am looking to use to sidetrack this thread.
arkady

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, Eureka Seven was promoted (in the US, at least) as a "mecha show," which it isn't. So the people who wanted to see lots of Giant Robot Battles(tm) were disappointed, and the people who were looking for something deeper tended (at first) to avoid it all together.

Eureka Seven is, in fact, a very moving coming-of-age story combined with a deep and emotional romance, all of it integrated into a science-fiction setting. The mecha (spoiler[which are biologically-based and aren't, strictly speaking, "mecha" in the usual sense at all]) form an integral part of the E7 universe, but they aren't the focus of the show.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
Ah! E7! This was my favorite anime of 06 and 07.

Yeah it looks like a mecha show and that's what brought me in. Then I stayed for what it has acheived. It's a character driven story and mechs just happen to be part of the story. You as a watcher starts rooting for Renton and Eureka and hope they will get together. This series has comedy, action and seriousness mixed niely. Of course tons of romance as well.

Another thing...Renton becomes the effing man near the end of the series. He doesn't stay a whiny mecha teen boy! You see the character development and how eureka and others change overtime in the series. You have elements that can draw everyone in if they gave it a chance. The animation, character and mech designs are awesome! The dub was great IMO!

/end fangirl rant.
sleepingforest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
hey its nice to see some E7 fans out there man.

not sure if you guys feel the same but its hard to get into an anime, be harder if the intro is bad. its sad when you are drown in an imagination world and see it comes to an end, be sadder if the story doesn't have a proper explaination.

i love E7 as how it starts and its flow, introducing the character as where he is raised. the environment, how he hates his surround situations then progress further. im not a hardcore mecha fan. i much prefer it when it comes to story and character relationship development (not just love yeah), althought my all time favorite's still gotta be Cowboy Bebop. Laughing

regarding E7 im not really into its ending, i feel it is rather crappy. spoiler[ex i don't really understand how Eureka and Renton become stars in the end even Nirvash tells them to live on and become an example for both mankind and Coralians. The moon with the text of "Eureka loves Renton" is also a bit awkward, kinda like some prank from some childish neighborhood. Also the story doesn't provide proper explaination for each characters as how they end apart from the old-fart and the three kids, as I feel this is somehow sad.]

my fav eps of E7 are probably.. most of them ha yet there are really two that make me laugh out loud. 38 and 39

spoiler[
Ep 38:
Eureka: Holland!
Holland: Eureka, what's wrong?
Eureka: Holland, you're someone's dad?
Holland: No, err... I've just become a dad.
Eureka: How?
Holland: How..
Eureka: Is a dad required? A dad is important right, that's why..
Holland: Im not getting you...
Eureka: Maybe that's why Renton was so bothered?
Holland and Talho: What
Eureka: I wonder if Renton really wants to be a dad?
Holland: Renton!!! Where are you!!?
]

spoiler[
Ep 39:
Holland: This is no longer an issue of just Eureka and Renton, this is an issue of Gekko State's pride!
Mischa (doctor): He's not going to be happy unless he gets at least one point
Holland: We're changing plan!
Stoner: There was a plan..?
Hap: What is it? This plan..
Holland: NO DEFENSE!

...then both Eureka and Renton steps the hell on Holland's head and used his body for landing..
]

i wonder how Talho thinks when she saw that moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4