• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Greenlit for Tanaka's Titania Space Opera Novels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
I'd be much more excited if the news was that Tokyopop decided to add Tanaka's books to their "Pop Fiction" line, but this sounds interesting anyway. Anime based off of light novels tends to be a cut above the normal standard.
saorren

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
I'd be much more excited if the news was that Tokyopop decided to add Tanaka's books to their "Pop Fiction" line, but this sounds interesting anyway. Anime based off of light novels tends to be a cut above the normal standard.

i doubt titania is a (series of) light novel... i mean i've always treated them as normal novels... tho im not taht sure what exactly defines LIGHT novels =/

happy to hear the news =) i love tanaka-sansei's works
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not too clear on that myself, because "The Twelve Kingdoms" is listed as a light novel, but the English version is over 400 pages.
greedo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I thought a light novel was defined by it's content and not it's length. o.o whatever.

Anyways, I'm excited. I love the LoGH series, so anything by the same author I would probably like as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
I'm not too clear on that myself, because "The Twelve Kingdoms" is listed as a light novel, but the English version is over 400 pages.

Light novels are usually defined by publishing labels, not length; there are light novels clocking in at something like a 1000 pages.
The first Twelve Kingdoms novel was split into two volumes in Japan, but combined for the English release, anyway.

Taitania appears to be published in the noberu/novel format, which is generally not considered 'light.' Light novel labels almost always go in bunko format, while novels tend to be larger sized paperbacks with two tiers of text on a page. Some of the novel labels have been publishing novels designed to attract light novel readers - novels like Del Rey's upcoming Zaregoto series, which was published by Kodansha novels, but placed at the top of some Best Light Novel lists. So the definition does get a bit fuzzy, and Taitania is published in a novel line owned by Square Enix, which doesn't help clarify much of anything.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
BleuVII wrote:

Light novels are usually defined by publishing labels, not length; there are light novels clocking in at something like a 1000 pages.
The first Twelve Kingdoms novel was split into two volumes in Japan, but combined for the English release, anyway.

Taitania appears to be published in the noberu/novel format, which is generally not considered 'light.' Light novel labels almost always go in bunko format, while novels tend to be larger sized paperbacks with two tiers of text on a page. Some of the novel labels have been publishing novels designed to attract light novel readers - novels like Del Rey's upcoming Zaregoto series, which was published by Kodansha novels, but placed at the top of some Best Light Novel lists. So the definition does get a bit fuzzy, and Taitania is published in a novel line owned by Square Enix, which doesn't help clarify much of anything.

Laughing

I'm not sure whether I'm more informed or more confused than I was before. I still think that Tokyopop's Pop Fiction line is great though, and from the sounds of it, this would be a great author to pick up.

Still, I've checked the encyclopedia entries for his other novel->anime adaptations, and they all seem to be rated pretty high, so I'll probably check this one out when it's released. Hopefully it's an aired broadcast, instead of an OAV. And hopefully I'm good enough at Japanese by that point to be able to turn on the TV and get the basic idea of what's going on.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

Quote:
I'm not sure whether I'm more informed or more confused than I was before.

In general, a 'light' novel is a work aimed at 'young adults' (usually 13-18 in practice), often featuring manga/anime style content, and an 'easy/accessible' writing style (though some feature stylized prose). 'Light' novels have apparently become very popular with teens over the last few years, attract not just otaku/genre fans but also bring in readers who may not usually go for anime/manga entertainment, and are usually clearly marketed/displayed differently then other fiction.

It seems as if the work mentioned in this thread was written before the 'light' novel really took off, but from the very manga-ish 'pretty boy' cover illustration I'm assuming it's a work aimed at 'young adults' (Japanese sci-fi/literary fans tend to look down on 'otaku' material, so I'm not sure an adult-aimed fiction would employ that type of marketing), hence perhaps it's 'light' novel connotation .
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
LOGH is one of my all-time favorites, so I'm really looking forward to this, especially because it's a space opera too. And the same director, too?

Somebody needs to translate Tanaka's novels. Especially LOGH. Maybe Vertical?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1