• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel's Stan Lee, Shaman King's Takei to Join Forces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Interesting teamup. Sounds like they will do something great together.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I must have missed the announcement for Jump SQ.II It's interesting that they're already making a second one, when the first is only on issue #5. Seems a little preemptive to me.

But this project itself sounds like it could go one of two ways:

1. Amazingly cliched eastern superhero meets western superhero story that makes everyone except a few fanboys and fangirls cringe with horror.
2. An awesome series that shows some real new creative talent from established professionals.

Basically, it's like Blue Dragon vs. Lost Odyssey, but in manga form.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
On Jump Square's wikipedia page, it says X-Men and Spider-Man are going to be in it.

Confused
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
This could be really bad. I've been looking forward to some new Takei stuff for a while now, SK was great, but Stan the Man hasn't really produced anything good in like twenty-five years or more, not that he hasn't tried, God bless him, so chances are this will not read well.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
On Jump Square's wikipedia page, it says X-Men and Spider-Man are going to be in it.

Confused

This is what happens when people who are stupid edit Wikipedia.
The Jump Sq II official site lists both of those over Stan Lee's name; the works he is famous for. It also lists Shaman King over Takei's name. Does Wikipedia claim Shaman King is going to appear in the manga? Because that would be dumb.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote
Finally, more collaborations! We've been put up with too many inbreedings. You know, Americans were busy inbreeding with their genre and Japanese were busy with their own genre. It would be interesting to see something exotic.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
The rough(?) art shown in the preview doesn't really look like something I'd expect from either. Takei likes to use a lot of jagged lines in his other series, but this time he's going outright streamline with the designs which is a bit different for him (not that that's a bad thing). I'm mostly curious just what type of influence Stan Lee will actually have on this project, too early to tell I guess.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tebalith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
I guess the art is just a sketch, and the finished product will look more conventional. Jump SQ has used sketches in heir advertizing before, maybe simply because there was no finished manga yet, or they wanted to keep the surprise.

Quote:
What's the point? Now I get to see Peter Parker with huge eyes and sweat drops? Oh wait, let me guess, a Mary Jane rape saga? It's so stupid.

What are you doing on an anime/manga message board? O_o

Seriously, what is it with that negative attitude some people have to every piece of news. I'm starting to think that even if they announced to have found a cure for AIDS and cancer, people would find some reason to whine.

It's an interesting collaboration. Who knows if I'll like the finished product, but it certainly demonstrates that Shueisha is thinking outside the box for Jump Square. I only wonder whether they can keep this up. The mag is not even half a year old, can they keep the concept of collaborative oneshots fresh and surprising in the long run?

Toriyama/Katsura and Lee/Takei, both next month, wow. Should be interesting![/quote]
nekedo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Does Wikipedia claim Shaman King is going to appear in the manga? Because that would be dumb.

I wouldn't be surprised if Anna makes an appearance in some way, shape, or form, as Takei has referred to her as his "good luck charm".
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
nekedo wrote:
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Does Wikipedia claim Shaman King is going to appear in the manga? Because that would be dumb.

I wouldn't be surprised if Anna makes an appearance in some way, shape, or form, as Takei has referred to her as his "good luck charm".

That would freaking rock Razz

He also said that she's the kind of girl he's attracted to. I'm kind of worried about his sanity/sense of self preservation, to be honest o.o

I bet we can expect a couple minor crossover references, though. I mean, SK is loaded with little nods to Butsu Zone, and with all the major projects that Stan Lee has been involved in, it's only natural that they'd put something like that in there for the fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
If he were just trying to team up with someone who's both legendary and isn't working on anything right now, like GATSU said it'd make more sense to me to team up with someone like Akira Toriyama.

Toriyama's busy collaborating with Katsura Masakazu anyway.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Nobuhiro Watsuki do something with Marvel someday, if only because he's such a hugely unapologetic Marvel fanboy. Just feels kind of weird that no one's bothered to do anything with him for an East/West project. Although he's probably too busy these days, I have to wonder if he's ever been asked, because I have a feeling he'd jump at the chance.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Toriyama's busy collaborating with Katsura Masakazu anyway.

Yeah, just read about that in tebalith's post above, dang it! Mad I don't know, Sprocket here brings up a pretty good point. Is Nobuhiro Watsuki doing anything these days? I mean, not that I don't think it's a bad idea to collaborate with Tekai or anything, I'm just thinking of all the "legendary" artists that aren't doing anything right now he could have possibly gone after is all.
nekedo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Is Nobuhiro Watsuki doing anything these days? I mean, not that I don't think it's a bad idea to collaborate with Tekai or anything, I'm just thinking of all the "legendary" artists that aren't doing anything right now he could have possibly gone after is all.

He's been doing one-shots for a while, and has a new series "Embalming -The Another Tale of Frankenstein-" which is currently being serialized in Jump Square. So, unlike Takei, it doesn't seem like he's free to collaborate at the moment.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
Wow....I'm sorta digging this collaboration (really just because of Takei), and it's cool that a preview sketch was offered. But other than giving an idea of who a couple characters may be, it's extremely vague to me. The art doesn't exactly look "Takei-ish" to me...and knowing that he has a relatively basic "graffiti-esque" style, how close is this to a final drawing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3