Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Your And My Mushi


Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Patachu
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 1325
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Sorry no one's sent in reviews. I'll try to get going on a positive review for Love and Rockets (they can be for any comic right?)


Well, it has to be reasonably "manga-ish" (and I'll be the final judge of that). I'm permissive (I mean, if Scott Pilgrim can qualify for World Manga of the Month...) but at the same time, I won't take just anything. To be honest, Love and Rockets probably falls outside of the range because the paneling and artistic presentation derives very little from the manga tradition (unless you can convince me otherwise).

I'd probably point to stuff like Oni Press or Becky Cloonan's work on "Demo" as the outside limit of what I'll allow artistically.

belvadeer wrote:
Is anyone going to send in their reviews of a manga they want everyone to know about?


Are you?

Is this like that school thing where the teacher asks for a volunteer and everybody avoids making eye contact with anybody else because no one wants to be picked? Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RadicalHaruko



Joined: 28 Sep 2003
Posts: 13
Location: CA, USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
YEAH SCOTT PILGRIM IS AWESOME

I was so glad to see this here. That "I would punch your life in the face" line was hands-down my favorite in this volume. Bryan Lee O'Malley's comic timing is something we should all aspire to emulate.

WELL DONE.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ari-chan



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 215
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I should really try to take a look at Scott Pilgrim if I ever see it. It sound really fun. Also I'm glad to see a good reveiw for Shugo Chara. I'm in love with that series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
here-and-faraway



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1211
Location: Sunny California

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I won't take just anything. To be honest, Love and Rockets probably falls outside of the range because the paneling and artistic presentation derives very little from the manga tradition (unless you can convince me otherwise).


Nope. I don't think I could. Love and Rockets is definitely an American comic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aromatic Grass



Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Posts: 2424
Location: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so much love for Scott Pilgrim? And I've never heard of it... I guess that means I should pick it up? Neutral
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
37wallflower73



Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Posts: 2
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Wow, I've never even heard of Scott Pilgrim either......I'll be checking him out too ^_~

As for Mushishi, is it really that great? I think I'm gonna have to start buying it, the reviews so far have been really good. Just want to know I'm not wasting my money, like I did with Absolute Boyfriend.....I got really sick of that serie. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marie-antoinette



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 4136
Location: Ottawa, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
Scott Pilgrim sounds interesting, after learning more about it in Shojo Beat I think I will put it on my list to check out. Your and My Secret also looks like it could be interesting and is worth checking out at least (though I am concerned about how long it is, because the premise could become REALLY drawn out, like I found it was with W Juliet, which of course is not the same plot but it reminds me of it nonetheless).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Cloe
Moderator


Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Posts: 2728
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I guess that means I should pick it up? Neutral

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Anime World Order



Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 354
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I'll have to check out Phoenix.


Excellent. Someone who read that review has, as a result of reading said review, decided to consider checking out Phoenix. I am therefore marking another notch in my "wins" column!

I was debating whether to write about Phoenix or Golgo 13, since the latter's RTO! coverage was only a few sentences long and received a C grade when it was reviewed a couple years ago (even Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne got a C+!). In the end I went with Phoenix since I already wrote a totally awesome piece about Golgo 13 in Issue 5 of Otaku USA (ON SALE NOW Arrow *cheap plug*). I'm not quite certain why more people aren't writing in to RTO! with reviews, but in my case it's much harder to condense my thoughts on something down to 300-400 words than it is for me to ramble on forever in semi-intelligible fashion. Still, if nobody else submits anything, then they'll be FORCED to run whatever I send in, which knowing me will probably involve Ryoichi Ikegami artwork.

Without having read a single page worth of it, if I had to think of anything that would be "evidence against" Scott Pilgrim, it would have to be "the people who loudly tout the superiority of Scott Pilgrim over everything else ever made and/or try to claim that their lives are similar to that of Scott Pilgrim's." I'm sure the comic is just fine, but these fans--the only ones I ever seem to encounter--are making me not want to read it. Call it a personality defect on my part.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 1334
Location: Carol Stream, Illinois

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Rose Hip Rose- $10.99? Why? I'll buy it after I finish Rose Hip Zero.

Mushishi- I forgot to cancel my order on rightstuf and this popped up in the mail last week. I find it extremely repetitive.

Scott Pilgrim- It seems the bookstores in the area are finally getting this in stock. Great series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArielTsuki



Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Your and My Secret also looks like it could be interesting and is worth checking out at least (though I am concerned about how long it is, because the premise could become REALLY drawn out, like I found it was with W Juliet, which of course is not the same plot but it reminds me of it nonetheless).


Don't worry. I read the Japanese releases (which one volume takes 18 MONTHS to come out...) and I looks it would end either at next volume, Volume 5 or Volume 6 in 2010.

I disagree that the first chapter felt rushed, really. I don't think you can jump in a wacky and surreal situation any better without drawing it out. I don't think there's no better reason of why it happened because Nanako's mad scientist grandfather is a really mad (and lazy) scientist who's willing to experiment on his only granddaughter. Plus the experiment was a failure in the first place (the machine was supposed to shrink the subject). What I like about it is that Akira is still a boy, despite his feminine ways, after the switch while Nanako embraces the joys of being a guy (and has utter disregard for using Akira's body).

It gets interesting later on when (EXTREME SPOILER) spoiler[Senbongi, Akira's best friend, finds out about the switch]. And the review doesn't have to worry about spoiler[Akira and Nanako changing back soon, they're still in their switched bodies as of Volume 4. ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 2127

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Well Patachu, I do have some manga I want to review, but I'm afraid everyone won't be interested.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group