• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So what’s the point of NGE?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foljo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:08 am Reply with quote
I heard a high praise behind this anime series, this why I decided to watch it. So I did, whole 26 episodes. Well, I watched it, and asked myself. “What is the point of this show?”. Do authors really try to say something smart or do they just making stuff along the way? Because frankly, NGE is a case of BAD story telling.

More anime I watch, more I wonder, that most of the authors try to look too smart, and in the process they are losing themselves in the story. This why we see these horrible endings (Big O anyone? Pathetic at best). In my opinion, if you try to put some philosophy behind the medium (be that book, or a movie) try at least explain it, not just some mambo-jumbo. Or is it an alternative root, so the creator can blame the viewer by “you don’t get it”?

Or do I really just don’t get it at all? Because if this is a study of human nature, I am not impressed.
Phoenix512

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
Anno was a very depressed person when doing Evangelion and supposely that Shinji is a representation of himself. Well, that's one of the many theories out there.
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
I guess you don't like anime that makes you think? I think NGE has an excellent story.
Foljo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:17 am Reply with quote
Sesshoumaru sama wrote:
I guess you don't like anime that makes you think? I think NGE has an excellent story.

Makes me think? I like things that make me think. However, I don’t like things that shout at me “HAHA, look at me. Here what it means… ah, gotta ya, it doesn’t mean this, it means THAT. Bahaha.. still don’t get it? Well too stupid…”. When I watch something, and done with it, I always question whatever I just watched. If it had some point behind it. I can’t find this point in NGE. So this why I asked here, maybe someone will explain it to me?
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:23 am Reply with quote
Foljo wrote:
Sesshoumaru sama wrote:

Makes me think? I like things that make me think. However, I don’t like things that shout at me “HAHA, look at me. Here what it means… ah, gotta ya, it doesn’t mean this, it means THAT. Bahaha.. still don’t get it? Well too stupid…”. When I watch something, and done with it, I always question whatever I just watched. If it had some point behind it. I can’t find this point in NGE. So this why I asked here, maybe someone will explain it to me?

There was a thread about evangelionanimenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5128 this might have answers for you.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote
I think you either like Eva or you don't. If you didn't like Eva, don't worry about it, find something you do like and move on.

Here is a thread about a month old discussing some aspects of Eva. I don't know if you'll find anything in it to help Eva make more sense to you. If you don't see a point in Eva, you don't see a point. No biggie. There are lots of people who didn't see a point in Eva.
Foljo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:26 am Reply with quote
So, it is a study of how people deal with each other existence? Interesting, let’s re-watch it again with that in mind. Let’s see if author did a good job in that. Plus it’s time to get some books on this subject.
Foljo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:28 am Reply with quote
Almost forgot, thank you for the link. I will read it.
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:29 am Reply with quote
You should check the boards as this is like the third or fourth topic on Eva in the last few days.
But to answer your question, Big O and several others are Eva imitators. Eva has issues due to budget and the psychological health of the individual responsible. IMHO, I feel the ending works, as does Big O's. The movie may make you feel better, or not. Much of your issue is you wanting to know what happens to the T. Many Japanese writers and mangaka like a bit of room as to what happens. Anno decided the character analysis was the best ending, exploring Shinji's mind and his problems at the end in the context of instrumentality. That was what Eva was about.
Big O, spoiler[was about memories and choice. Roger chose not to remember because he chose to forget.]
Foljo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:50 am Reply with quote
Thanks for some answears, as I said, I will watch it again with that in mind.

Also, people are saying that rahxephon is much better than NGE. True?
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:55 am Reply with quote
I felt it was a ripoff, but some say it is better.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:28 am Reply with quote
Watch the movie.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:32 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Watch the movie.

Watch the RahXephon movie AND
Death & Rebirth / End of Evangelion
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Anno decided the character analysis was the best ending, exploring Shinji's mind and his problems at the end in the context of instrumentality.

I suppose, but by epsiode 24 I was thoroughly disqusted by Shinji and really didn't want to go any deeper into his head! Someday I should get around to rewatching it, but I've put it off because I really don't want to.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:29 am Reply with quote
You might want to check out this thread too but you should see the End of Evangelion movie first though.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5051
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5