• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So what’s the point of NGE?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foljo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Ah, couldn’t find these damn movies, and got myself Rahxephon. Watched the first episode, and I love the style. These singing angels (or whatever they are) are just too damn beautiful and creepy at the same time. When they start to sing, it really feels like something celestial. But I watched only first episode, so I need to continue, to comment further.

Also, that drop in the water, ending of the first episode, where did I seen that before Smile Ah right..
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:56 am Reply with quote
Foljo wrote:
Also, that drop in the water, ending of the first episode, where did I seen that before Smile Ah right..

Big O? .hack//SIGN?

Twisted Evil
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:42 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I'll admit I'm incredibly drunk right now, but Aaron, your pointing this out means nothing. So what if Eva paved the way? What does that have to do with what RahX is? Citizen Kane pioneered many techniques used in most modern films today, does every best picture owe its success to Orson Welles? No, no it doesn't Art evolves, it isn't all the product of one work of genius.

Hey Zac, what a coincidence; I was incredibly drunk last night too! But not this morning. Anyway, I wasn't trying to dis Rah or say that it's just riding Eva's coattails. I just meant that Eva did almost single-handedly create a demand for a certain kind of heady anime series, and Rah benefits from that demand. I suspect that a show like Rah would have met a lot of resistance or had to do things differently if Eva hadn't created that demand. I'd say the same for shows like Lain and His&Her. It doesn't make Rah inferior or derivative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Pessimistic Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:02 am Reply with quote
On RahX and Eva: (Will post something more detailed later)

I watched Eva in Korean. I thought, still do, that weather the dub was right for it. Eva is and will be the forefather of the this type of anime. Yet I was never really happy with Eva in great deal of aspects.

Eva condamms the weakness of man while drawing on Judeo-Christan values for it 'interllectural/coolness factor', also, it is rather true for all the sighs of brillence in the first section, it was just that, signs.

After Anno, went Nuts, the series... it degenerates into something that for all the debate and discussions we have, something we don't understand. The characters of Eva are indeed, in my mind, a represenation of the base weakness of mankind. What I think that Anno failed is that he failed even to acknoweldge the fact that there are more then base beaslity within man (Considering how he was then... maybe I am asking too much).

Anno went too much in one way, while still trying to cram all the violence and tridtional mecha-anime factors into the saga. He forgets that the characters he uses are human. At the end of the saga, I highly doubt even a Shinji could just let everything fall apart. No second consideration. And as far as I know Eva does not really talk of what makes man, man.

Some plot holes in Eva are unforgivalbe, especailly Yui Irkai's decision...

As for RahX, I still need to understand more of it. But I feel like that the show is a out growth of potentioal that Eva had but could not excute. The end, in my mind is a both acknowlegement of the baseness of man... and the fact that there are more in man that those desires.
kainzero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:08 am Reply with quote
the point of NGE was for Gainax to produce a show that they could market to mainstream anime viewers, and they wanted to be able to make money off of the resulting commercial time, merchandising, and other such aspects.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:25 am Reply with quote
Pessimistic Angel wrote:

Some plot holes in Eva are unforgivalbe, especailly Yui Irkai's decision...

Which decision would that be? To merge with the Eva?

kainzero wrote:
the point of NGE was for Gainax to produce a show that they could market to mainstream anime viewers, and they wanted to be able to make money off of the resulting commercial time, merchandising, and other such aspects.

Gainax at the time of Eva was just struggling to make it.
balla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:14 am Reply with quote
[quote="Foljo"][quote="Zac"]Maybe I've seen it too many times, but the message of Evangelion seems really simple to me and the movie makes sense on a variety of levels. It's presented in a complicated fashion, but you can boil it down pretty easily and come up with a theme for the show that makes sense.

Everyone seems split down the middle on RahXephon; I stand by my assertion that it's an adult show, made by adults, for adults, and that anyone under the age of, say, 21 or so simply won't be able to relate to a lot of the messages the series has to offer. It isn't action-packed, it's paced a little slow, and requires your full attention. Your brain has to be firing in order to get anything out of it. Evangelion can be appreciated by anyone, really; it works on a variety of levels and could entertain the lowest common denominator as well as the educated man. There's big robots beating eachother up, blood, breasts and all those other things that attract people to anime. RahXephon simply does not wallow in that sort of thing; it refuses to pander, which turns a lot of people off. It just isn't for everyone.

IMHO, RahXephon is MUCH closer to an 'arthouse' film than Evangelion is. Arthouse films won't have excessive sex and explosions just to sell more tickets or merchandise, which is precisely what Evangelion has in spades. RahXephon takes itself seriously and makes zero concession to any audience member who isn't trying their hardest to pay attention to and analyze what they're seeing on screen. It requires active, thoughtful viewing on behalf of the audience member.

Therefore, it is much closer in tone and spirit to an art film.

-Zac[/quote]

Ah, this what was a problem with NGE for me, you hit the nail in the head. For the first half of series it was just like any other mediocre anime. A boy, who is a loser, pilots a big ass robot, gets into weird sexual situations (ala Love Hina) and so on. This why I had a big problem with taking anything seriously for the few last episodes. I literally was rolling my eyes sometimes. It started out generic and ended , what it seems, as an anime about teenager full of angst. Don’t all people have a problem with self-identity while growing up?[/quote]

where in NGE was there really any sex at all ecept for the kaji and major m scene.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I think that one of the main points of Eva is easy to understand. Man's greatest enemy is man itself. We see this in how Seele and Gendo himself are both manipulating the situation so that third impact occurs. Also, in EoE (and Rebirth) when Seele sends in it's forces to take over NERV and go around indiscrimnately killing everyone.
RubberSoul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:48 am Reply with quote
Foljo wrote:
I heard a high praise behind this anime series, this why I decided to watch it. So I did, whole 26 episodes. Well, I watched it, and asked myself. “What is the point of this show?”. Do authors really try to say something smart or do they just making stuff along the way? Because frankly, NGE is a case of BAD story telling.

More anime I watch, more I wonder, that most of the authors try to look too smart, and in the process they are losing themselves in the story. This why we see these horrible endings (Big O anyone? Pathetic at best). In my opinion, if you try to put some philosophy behind the medium (be that book, or a movie) try at least explain it, not just some mambo-jumbo. Or is it an alternative root, so the creator can blame the viewer by “you don’t get it”?

Or do I really just don’t get it at all? Because if this is a study of human nature, I am not impressed.

Hehe, I thought the exact same thing after I watched NGE for the first time. I thought it was so overrated. However, one day, my sister wanted to watch NGE so I rented it from Blockbuster. I watched the whole show all over again and I fell in love with it. Right now, I'm really obsessed over it.
cascade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
fanboys are always whining about how Shinji is always whining.

That is a great point. I find it hilarious that people who complain about his whining are infact whiners themselves. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Oops, I guess I am whining too.
AnimeJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Foljo wrote:
“What is the point of this show?”.

To piss you off!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The guy who did Evangelion was the same as the guy who made FLCL which is alos confusing. Looks like he wants to leave his audience scratching their heads and stuff.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:44 pm Reply with quote
They were made by the same studio, but not the same director/creator. If I recall correctly, the only thing Anno did in FLCL at all was voice the fat blue cat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I think animefan16 is thinking of Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou, which was Anno Hideaki's next work after Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Anno-san has a long list of credits, having taken part in the production of some of the greatest masterpieces of anime (I'm not talking about NGE, which is second-rate - I'm talking about Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, The Wings of Honneamise and Grave of the Fireflies, all of which are classics of the medium).

I admire his talents, but he's overall something of an also-ran, since any project that he is in charge of seems to follow the same hyperbolic arc of dynamic-start-culminating-in-disappointing-finish.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Goldfinger0957

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Foljo wrote:
I heard a high praise behind this anime series, this why I decided to watch it. So I did, whole 26 episodes. Well, I watched it, and asked myself. “What is the point of this show?”. Do authors really try to say something smart or do they just making stuff along the way? Because frankly, NGE is a case of BAD story telling.

More anime I watch, more I wonder, that most of the authors try to look too smart, and in the process they are losing themselves in the story. This why we see these horrible endings (Big O anyone? Pathetic at best). In my opinion, if you try to put some philosophy behind the medium (be that book, or a movie) try at least explain it, not just some mambo-jumbo. Or is it an alternative root, so the creator can blame the viewer by “you don’t get it”?

Or do I really just don’t get it at all? Because if this is a study of human nature, I am not impressed.

Eva is probably the truest representation of human emotion in anime that i have seen. Thats what Eva is, an excellent story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5