• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - The Dog of Flanders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petran79

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
the movie is good because it doesnt limit itself to sentimentalism and melodrama. It is effective because it shows how Nello and Patrasche died, from the cruelty they faced from the society they lived in.

If you consider how life in the farms and fields was back then, the movie looks mild in comparison.

I have the unedited Taiwanese release. Actually the animal cruelty scenes are only apparent in the TV series. In the movie there is also a dialog alluding to a love relation between Nello and Allois (in the book they're older), that was removed in the English dub.

It is also available in German, unedited I think.

It shows from where Studio Ghibili movies were influenced, namely from Nippon Animation TV series that adapted some of the best books of Western and Eastern literature

Also I would be interested to watch the TMS adaptation of 1992. Though from the first episode I saw the direction was a little sloppy and melodramatic, the final episode I heard was more intense (it shows Nello's burial). If somone can upload it subbed or dubbed (it is available in Tagalog) it would be a nice addition
nebbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I've had this title on my to watch-list for a long time, thanks for bringing it to my attention again Surprised Too bad there's no subbed dvd release, I'm sort of low on ntsc vcr's... Crying or Very sad
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I've gone and read the plot synopsis of the original book on wikipedia. I feel sad already.
A lot of anime makes me cry and the skin around my eyes have got quite dry recently.

Is there anything remotely positive to obtain from watching this? I don't want to be reduced into an emotional wreck without there being something for the viewer to embrace other than pure sadness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I've heard of the original story, but never knew it was made into an anime. Sad America had to ruin this one as well with its usual "We have to protect our children!" crusade.

It's nice to see Japan appreciates a classic so much to make into a movie and TV series. I'm pretty jealous I'll never see this.

What surprises me is that the dub is called a hack job when I see so many famous and prolific voice actors for it. That makes me cry.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
petran79 wrote:
Quote:
The movie is good because it doesnt limit itself to sentimentalism and melodrama. It is effective because it shows how Nello and Patrasche died, from the cruelty they faced from the society they lived in.

If you consider how life in the farms and fields was back then, the movie looks mild in comparison.

Fair game to enjoy the movie but I'm not sure you can claim it avoids emotional excess, it's melodrama so thick and contrived it can almost form a solid mass on your screen. I'm also not sure anyone's going to peg pastoral life in Antwerp in the 19th century as a montage of suffering, it's not like Roman farmers living under Lombard rule.

belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
I've heard of the original story, but never knew it was made into an anime. Sad America had to ruin this one as well with its usual "We have to protect our children!" crusade.

It's nice to see Japan appreciates a classic so much to make into a movie and TV series.

Like above, fair to like the book, but it's not exactly what one would normally call 'a classic'. It was a rather maudlin work that basically found fervent appreciation in Japan, which has a bit of a cultural affinity for the material. There's really no great 'message' contained in the suffering of the main characters (it's kind of an emotional exploitive affair actually) so I'm not sure if you can blame folks 'softening' it up to sell in a culture where unrelenting suffering for sufferings sake isn't usually fun for the whole family.

Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
Is there anything remotely positive to obtain from watching this? I don't want to be reduced into an emotional wreck without there being something for the viewer to embrace other than pure sadness.

No, this is a dozy of a weeper plain and simple. If you aren't particular to that sort of thing theres no 'higher message' hidden within, so it may not be your cup o' tea. Some people will undoubtedly reply entertainment needn't always be comforting and upbeat which is absolutely true, but contrived tragedy in and of itself is not meaningful either.

* Sadly grim 'Dog of Flander's' fact: Jan Corteel, the man referenced
in the article as the Antwerp 'mega-fan' who marked sites for Japanese tourist, murdered his Japanese wife in January. Even fans can't have happy endings with "Dog of Flanders'.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
On a japanese TV show I saw on Youtube, their was a poll for the best anime ending of all time.

This was the number 1 ending and a lot of the people watching it were crying.

Mobile Suit Gundam was 2nd (no idea why) with Ashita no Joe as 3rd (should have been second).
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Sadly grim 'Dog of Flander's' fact: Jan Corteel, the man referenced
in the article as the Antwerp 'mega-fan' who marked sites for Japanese tourist, murdered his Japanese wife in January. Even fans can't have happy endings with "Dog of Flanders'.

Holy crap! I just found a news posting. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. That story is one I stumbled upon while researching this piece, and was a whole aspect to this I had no idea existed. What a strange, dark twist. Terrible shame.

I'm meeting the Belgian documentary director in Tokyo in a few weeks. I'm very curious to hear what he as to say about the matter.
Porch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-c/section-anime/pid-1003913479/

The above looks to be the only version on DVD with English subs available. I am guessing it's not the uncut version since it's not the US release.
petran79

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

Fair game to enjoy the movie but I'm not sure you can claim it avoids emotional excess, it's melodrama so thick and contrived it can almost form a solid mass on your screen. I'm also not sure anyone's going to peg pastoral life in Antwerp in the 19th century as a montage of suffering, it's not like Roman farmers living under Lombard rule.

Actually Roman farmers lived relatively better. they werent in such danger to lose all their property to debts

As for melodrama it really depends how you view animation. Actually this movie was intended for people who watched some basic WMT titles, so I can understand that not everyone will like such movies since those titles differ from most anime titles and genres in quality and direction
Wapiko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
If anyone's interested in the documentary, the filmmaker has put it on American eBay.

I haven't seen it yet, but my copy is on the way.

The filmmakers also wanted us (me) to push the documentary here in Holland and to our contacts in Japan as according to the filmmaker, the title is hugely popular in Japan.

However, nobody I know in Japan is a fan of this movie or of the TV series. This includes, as far as I know, dog fanatic Oshii Mamoru.
Nobody I know in Japan has ever mentioned liking the film.
So I was a little sceptical about the filmmaker's claims.
We did therefore not push or give publicity to the film in The Netherlands.

Niels Viveen
Stichting Promotie Japanse Popcultuur
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Geez goodpenguin...
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
petran79 wrote:
Quote:
The movie is good because it doesnt limit itself to sentimentalism and melodrama. It is effective because it shows how Nello and Patrasche died, from the cruelty they faced from the society they lived in.

belvadeer wrote:
Quote:

It's nice to see Japan appreciates a classic so much to make into a movie and TV series.

Like above, fair to like the book, but it's not exactly what one would normally call 'a classic'. It was a rather maudlin work that basically found fervent appreciation in Japan, which has a bit of a cultural affinity for the material. There's really no great 'message' contained in the suffering of the main characters (it's kind of an emotional exploitive affair actually) so I'm not sure if you can blame folks 'softening' it up to sell in a culture where unrelenting suffering for sufferings sake isn't usually fun for the whole family.

I agree with all you said. I read the story over on Project Gutenberg (it's public domain). It is a typical late 19th c children's story, a sentimental overwrought piece of crap focusing on angelic children and death and melodrama, at least in prose form. It was probably intended to stir the hearts of those who read it to charity, since children's works of that era tended to have religious messages.

What the animator did was spin crap into gold. This is one case where the movie is far better than the book, and it's the movie that's the classic, not the original.
petran79

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote

I agree with all you said. I read the story over on Project Gutenberg (it's public domain). It is a typical late 19th c children's story, a sentimental overwrought piece of crap focusing on angelic children and death and melodrama, at least in prose form. It was probably intended to stir the hearts of those who read it to charity, since children's works of that era tended to have religious messages.

What the animator did was spin crap into gold. This is one case where the movie is far better than the book, and it's the movie that's the classic, not the original

as for the book, it was actually the first dog story, preceding works such as Call of the Wild, Wild Fang, Lassie etc

Considering also the obsession the Japanese have with dogs, it is not surprising it met more success there.

The director Y.Kuroda made also a short animated film in the 2005 movie "All about my dog". Really this movie is more for people who have or had dogs
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I want to see the movie, but the book sounds rubbish.

I have a dog, I don't know how that will affect my viewing of this movie.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That dubbed-and-edited-only version of Flanders is another reason I won't miss Geneon. I still don't get why they were too stubborn to put out the original version on dvd, but they thought Law of Ueki would be a hit.

Who knows. I still don't understand why they needed to have a "Family Entertainment" label at all if it resulted in stuff like this getting such a stupid release (Pioneer used to be such a great company before that point).

Greboruri wrote:
I recall ages ago that AVP in Hong Kong had released the 1997 movie on DVD with English subtitles. Also Power International Multmedia (PIM) in Taiwan releasd the film as well, with English subtitles (think this disc is out of print). Now, I'm not sure how great these subtitles are. I've bought AVP titles before and some are great like 5cm per Second, and others are lousy like the Kamen Rider 555 movie.

AVP and PIM also released the 1975 TV anime series with English subtitles. Think the PIM version may be out of print. Going by the other masterpiece theatre PIM English subtitled DVD sets I have (Daddy Long Legs and 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother - aka Marco) they're probably just so-so. You get the meaning, it's just a little painful to digest the subs at times.

At least they bothered subbing it at all.

Dante80 wrote:
Justin, many thanks for making more known yet another rare gem that Japanimation has given us. Works like "A dog of Flanders" deserve more credit from the fans.

For those that cannot find or purchase the actual product, there is a very good english fansub available.
Thanks again, and salutations from sunny Athens...^^

Is it online or do I have to weasel it out of somebody like the good 'ol days? Laughing

LavenderAna wrote:
The ending of this movie makes me weep every time I see it. I'm glad that I've held on to Pioneer's VHS sub.

you make me feel guilty I never did pick this up a decade ago on the shelf (though I was still naive then and wasn't quite up-to-snuff on the ways of the anime fan)!

fuuma_monou wrote:
It's been years since I've seen the Tagalog dub of the 1975 series. Never saw the movie. I wonder how viable the WMT series are in the U.S. market. It'd be nice to have an English dub of Daddy Long Legs, for instance.

Best we ever got were one or two shows that passed through like Adv. of Tom Sawyer on HBO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4