• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ninja Nonsense [2011-11-07]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Pippin-- the more time you give Loveless, the deeper the relationships get, and the more you can appreciate the extreme delicacy with which characters like Soubi are handled. I like Loveless because I like a lot of the characters, but I'm still surprised that this show ended up getting a dub years after the fact. I'm sad to say that I probably won't buy it, because I already have the dvds sub-only and I don't watch dubs unless they're exceptional... plus what with the rescue of the manga, I gotta save money for that ;D
Hellfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I really want to buy the boxset of Emma, but at the moment I have two utena boxsets on hold... -.- Damn.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Isn't American Day time TV nothing, but slice of life soaps, sudo reality court room nonsense, and game shows? Don't try to justify bollox with more bollox. Emma will never sell well without a dub and that's the top and tail of it.

Agreed. Sad, but SO True. On both counts.

I'll give whatever language version of an anime title that I can get my hands on a chance, but if any show ever deserved a dub, and I don't mean just any dub, but an authentic, A list, quality dub, it's Emma.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Wow, kinda harsh review for the Naruto film.

YA THINK???

its definitely NOT perishable by far.

I liked the storyline , though the beginning left something to be desired. the atttack on Konoha felt wayy too much like the Pearl Harbor movie. Dejavu much???

and of course for naruto the eng is better than the original japaneese version,even though at the beginning, they should have used a male character for the older naruto instead of Malie to make it more believable.

So it's like i said. the review is way too harsh. Rental shelf,i can agree,but it's sure as hell not perishable.

and also this movie at least is a hell of a lot better than the Guardians of the Cressent Moon Kingdom movie. “Believe It!”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the British decides to do a live-action version of "Emma" and it ends up on "Masterpiece Theater." It wouldn't be out of place there.

Rather than live action, it'd be the coolest thing ever if Masterpiece Theater just showed Emma.

belvadeer wrote:
Kaoru Mori is female. For making this error, fie on your house Erin, and a thousand teacakes will rain upon you! Anime hyper

Oh no!!! (And so many delicious teacakes!)

larinon wrote:
That would be the Stockholm Syndrome taking hold. Wink

I kid...mostly.

You're not the only person who has said that to me.

CareyGrant wrote:
As for Naruto...the worst thing about Naruto is Naruto.

Believe it!

bglassbrook wrote:
Still need to get around to watching Emma, but my guess is a dub will come out first.

I don't think it will ever get a dub. Season 2 has credit lists of people who pre-ordered it in order to get it released at all. Or at least, that's how I interpreted it.

bglassbrook wrote:
As to the collection...I disqualify it from competition, and place its "librarian" on probation.

Whoa whoa, since when is Shelf Obsessed a competition?

jr0904 wrote:
So it's like i said. the review is way too harsh. Rental shelf,i can agree,but it's sure as hell not perishable.

So, what are some perishable shows, in your opinion?
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the British decides to do a live-action version of "Emma" and it ends up on "Masterpiece Theater." It wouldn't be out of place there.

Rather than live action, it'd be the coolest thing ever if Masterpiece Theater just showed Emma.

Yes! A thousand times yes! And it being PBS they're just crazy enough to do it! I'd love to see this happen.
erinfinnegan wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
As for Naruto...the worst thing about Naruto is Naruto.

Believe it!

I've long since stopped caring about his long and painful--for the viewer--journey to become Hokage. I keep praying for Naruto to die just so the show would be become interesting again--I'd tune in for that.

I also think the show would benefit immensely from a Kai version.

jr0904 wrote:

If you've seen one Naruto movie you've pretty much seen them all.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
I gotta say that I actually enjoyed Bonds when it was being streamed on Hulu for a weekend only, but they took it off during my streaming. Sad Fortunately I was toward the end!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Whoa whoa, since when is Shelf Obsessed a competition?

Since at least Monday...
Quote:
I feel that I must respond. [...] Anyways, congratulations to you, MIT Anime Club, for having the larger collection...for now.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

bglassbrook wrote:
Still need to get around to watching Emma, but my guess is a dub will come out first.

I don't think it will ever get a dub. Season 2 has credit lists of people who pre-ordered it in order to get it released at all. Or at least, that's how I interpreted it.

Well that sucks. not to mentioned dont make any sense. If there is one of Nozomi animation licenses that needs an english dub, is definitely Emma.

Also i also would have liked if masterpiece theatre also showed Emma.

erinfinnegan wrote:

jr0904 wrote:

So, what are some perishable shows, in your opinion?

well definitely the third naruto movie, but that's my opinion. as for this list ,none. OF course emma is definitely shelf worthy,and the naruto movie and Loveless are rental shelf.

But as for shows in general. other than those that have been dubbed by 4kids and Nelvana, i really dont have a long list of perishable shows since i'm open minded to anything, and a big fanservice/ecchi & yuri junkie in General.

However when it comes to these anime reviews, your the expert. Not me. Especially since I only watch english dubs in general , with a few exceptions for some eng sub only series,mainly series that have been dubbed by 4kids & Nelvana, Maria-sama ga Miteru,Hayate the Combat Butler, Genshiken & of course Emma, so i cant judge anyone's opinions.

And Speaking of Emma, I didn't know that Animax Asia have dubbed it.

Have you seen their version? and if so is it solid enough cause Animax Asia do have an even worse rep than 4kids, but from what you said about their version of Hayate & somehow found a way to watch their version of K-on! which was decent enough ( even though the Bandai version is better ) I'm curious of that prospect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
I saw season 1 of Emma a few year ago and liked it, but must point out a moment when the historial verisimilitude massively failed. Specifically, the scene where they visit the bookshop - (a) the shop is laid out like a modern Japanese bookshop (b) the hero shows Emma some pron. That wouldn't have happened!
lem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote
oh yeah, how dare they! In those days, Everyone knows that young gentlemen couldn't possibly be interested in looking at risque photograph books of women. What were they thinking? We may as well mention the appearance of foxes, Hakim, his elephants, and the oh so cute little furry squirrel that can be seen sittin' atop a young child's shoulder. Those things utterly ruined it for me. That sorta thing would never be seen in an anime title set in Victorian England of all places. sheesh. what were they thinkin?

Kidding aside, for what the story presents in terms of character growth, especially of William - who, initially was a character that I wanted to kick upside the head - the things that were there to bring some levity to the proceedings were just that. They don't lessen one bit what the story has to say about how people can endure and even prevail, despite their station in life.

Anyone, anywhere on this planet should be able to relate to that. It's what makes Emma such a great show. A fictional one. Not a documentary.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
As an RIT student, I'm happy to see those shelves!

As for Loveless...I got into the manga, and found it okay. I actually didn't like the main characters so much as I liked the side, though. My main problem came with the portion of the fans who acted as if the relationship was entirely happy and good. I read it as something incredibly unhealthy, dangerous, and abusive, which contrasted sharply with Ritsuka's school life and friends his own age. After TP stopped publishing it, I kinda just forgot about it. I didn't feel too strongly about it, I suppose. Admittedly, I started to fear that the author herself thought the main relationship was fine, and I didn't want the series to end with the two together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3