• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bootlegs vs. Fansubs.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebecca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Bootlegs are "bad" because the companies that sell bootlegs are making a profit, while fansubbers do it for bragging rights and release it on the internet for free. Now where fansubs are still technically illegal, it isn't pursued so long as the series hasn't been licensed (ie Naruto), if it has been licensed but the fansubbers are nearly done with the series (unless of course asked by the company to drop it immediately), or if the series is so freaking long that it'll take years before it all makes its way to the US (ie Inu Yasha).

As for morals well...it differs from person to person. Plenty of strings have been born and flamed to death on the topic of who's right and who's wrong, so I'll leave it to others to add more fuel to the fire if they wish.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Oh. So fansubs are free? I didn't really know that. OK. [EDIT - No requests -C]

Yes, fansubs are free. If you pay for a fansub, it automatically becomes a bootleg. Some fansubs I've seen have actually stated during the eye-catchers that "if you paid for this, you got ripped off".

The ONLY time, and I do mean ONLY time, that fansubbers get paid for anything is if they're distributing VHS (or some other medium) copies via postal mail. And all they ask for is a little compensation to pay for the price of the VHS cassettes and shipping, not the actual show itself.

Of course, this was in the early days of fansubbing. Nowadays it's all gone digital (ie, digisubs).
TF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote
i could give you an example from that tekkaman blade series.

I watched teknoman (full 43 eps) and I'm watching the LA fansubs and a friend of mine has said that the translations done by LA are far better than the bootlegs
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I have downloaded fansubs and purchased lots of HK dvds. Is what I do legally wrong? Yes, I know this and have already accepted this fact.

In my personall opinion, I do not have a moral problem with watching a fansub or an HK dvd of shows that have not been released in the US.

While I do own 2 R1 rips (EVA (waiting for the remasters) and Escaflowne (which I can now afford to buy the R1s Very Happy ) the majority of my HK dvds were not available in the US at the time of purchase, and most still are not available and never will be.
Without HK dvds, I would never had the chance to watch, Grappler Baki TV, Fist of the North Star TV (Complete), Gundam X, One Piece, Initial D (movie and TV complete), Angel Egg and many other anime.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I've bought bootleg before (being a n00b and not knowing they were bootleg) and have since gotten rid of them. I don't download fansubs, but if my friend has them, then I'll watch them. I can be very patient and I don't mind waiting for it to be released domestically.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The only bootleg Anime I have is a copy of Giant Robo that I bought because I thought it was an authentic Chinese version; I didn't know that such a thing does not exist at that time. I bought it because I really wanted Giant Robo on dvd and there was no R1 release around at the time. As soon as a R1 release is available I will be one of the first preordering it.

I do watch fansubs, which often help me decide what I should buy next and if that is wrong then feel free to stone me to death in some sort of public execution.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with fansubs. If a series is unlicensed, the Japanese studios don't expect an R1 profit from it yet anyway, and it helps give me a heads up on series that I'll be glad to pay for when they eventually are domestically licensed (Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Uchuu no Stellvia, Azumanga Daioh, etc.). And even with fansubs of licensed series, I mostly just use them as "free rentals." I'll watch the series fansubbed, and if I like it, I'll buy it. If I don't like it, or felt it was okay but not worth the price of DVD, then I at least feel more enlightened as an anime fan for having seen it. I never keep fansubs, and I do not consider them any sort of substitution for domestic DVDs (after seeing Witch Hunter Robin, Full Metal Panic!, & Noir fansubbed, I was almost literally blown away by how much crisper & smoother the DVD video looked).

Bootlegs, however, I do have a problem with. They're often lower quality, and the subtitle translations aren't always the best (some .hack//SIGN & Mahoromatic boots I saw once were so horribly subtitled that they lacked anything slightly resembling coherency...they translated Tsukasa's name as ZU, for God's sake!). Also, the fact that you actually pay for bootlegs bothers me, because odds are that money isn't going anywhere good, nevermind the fact that it's not seeing its way into furthering the domestic industry.

Unfortunately, I do have some boots, myself. Back before I knew the X TV series was licensed, I bought a bootlegged box set as a gift for a friend...and she did the same for me (funny how life works out that way sometimes). Wasn't until later we found out that they not only weren't as legit as we had thought, but that the series had been licensed a month or two prior. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gekigangar3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind fan-subs too much. I have no problems downloading subs of series that aren't liscensed, because if it's good I always pick up the domestic release of them. Once a series is liscensed, in my mind, the fansubs become bad. Because people who are downloading liscensed series probablly could find out that they are liscensed and just don't feel like getting the R1's. Where as someone who gets an unliscensed series that they like will most likely buy the R1's or R2's of that show once they come out, and are using the fan-subs to help decide to get a show or not unlike people who get subs of licsensed shows that are getting them in place of the R1's.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
My stance on fansubs and bootlegs pretty much mirrors Nagisa's answer.

Fansubs can be used in a way that's beneficial; I love to download maybe the first two or three episodes of an unlicensed series and see for myself whether or not I'm willing to invest in it when an R1 version is available. If the series is licensed, I try to find more "legal" methods of watching it (such as borrowing DVDs or watching it on TV) before downloading them. But either way, fansubs can be helpful if used correctly.

Some people may give the same argument for bootlegs, but the big difference is that you're paying for them. By paying for them, you're giving money to people who didn't earn it in any way. I don't care if that money is used to support illegal prostitution or to by a snow cone; the bootleggers who get the money never earned it. That's why I've never bought a bootleg DVD and I never plan to.
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:53 pm Reply with quote
What about people living in areas where anime is hard to get, and when you do find it it's outragously priced? For example, I live in New Brunswic Canada, and believe me, to buy one DVD it usually runs me abot 60 to 70 dollars!!! Do you guy's think it is wrong to buy bootleged anime or fansubs if you have a hard time buing it legit? The reason I am asking is because I own alot of Downloaded fansubs, but no bootlegs. I recently stumbled upon a website called Animediscount.com, and their anime is WAY more in my price range. I haven't purchased their merchandise yet, but am considering it. what do you thinK?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't buy from them. Rather, try to find an online retailer that ships to Canada that deals in legit merchandise. AnimeNation.com might be a good place to start your search.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
AnimeEigo now ships to Canada, too. Plus they have 15% off for the rest of the year. They've got a lot of good older titles.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:18 pm Reply with quote
You can also try Bestprices.com. I don't know about shipping to Canada, but they have excellent prices.
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:29 pm Reply with quote
One of the main reasons why buying legit can be hard for people living in areas where anime is very expensive is how many DVD's you need for a series. For example I wanted to buy FLCL, but they put it on 6 DVD's!!!! That's stupid (Forgive me) considering how much you can actually fit on a single DVD. However the version I can buy on Animediscount.net is only 10 dollars and on one DVD. Im still not sold on bootlegs and I feel bad about "Ripping" off the anime companies, but I just don't have the cash to buy Legit anime. And believe me I will do just about anything to get the precious Treasure that is anime.

Crazy Otaku
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe that lack of cash is a legitimate excuse.

Get a job. That's what I had to do before I could afford to buy anime. If you have a job and still can't afford it, then save, save, save.

Lack of cash is not an excuse. Lack of access is a pretty poor excuse these days, as well.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6