• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Hospitalized After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry that the boy died. It really is a shame that it had to happen.

BUT, as always, where was the adult supervision?
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Egret wrote:
When my sibs and I were little, we imitated Westerns. When my mom caught us trying to "string up the outlaw" from the maple tree in the backyard, she sat us down and explained the difference between fiction and reality in fairly graphic terms. We all said "Ohhhh...." and never tried it again.

Seriously, parents just need to talk these things out with their children. It's a law of life that kids will try stupid things because they haven't realized yet that they're stupid.

Yeah. A lot of people would argue that kids are stupid. I'm currently taking Psych101 and imitation at that age is a normal part of cognitive development. It's the parents' responsiblity to teach them and say what they're doing is wrong. I am sure all of us had not attempted or even thought of doing "stupid" things at a young age since we didn't know better. Common sense isn't born like that at birth. I used to eat play doh and didn't think anything was wrong with it until my parents told me.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I used to take early childhood education myself, and it's in definitive that kids imitate not just cartoons, but actions of other adults...

Not just by walking, either. Even normal actions of the day that kids can see their parents do.

>.> gosh, I remember when we had a girl who was very promiscuous at the age of 4.

She learned some of it from her parents, I suppose walking in on them, or something like that. She attempted to make out with another student at the school. Though we ended up having to explain to her why it wasn't appropriate, not to mention calling her parents.

I think she ended up being removed too, it was a little sad.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree, putting a disclaimer on is not going to change much unless the show's reason for existence is to show kids how to do stunts that will hurt or kill them. South Park puts disclaimers on for good reason, they don't pull any punches with their violence or language. WWE also puts disclaimers up for good reasons. They perform stunts on the show that would otherwise hurt people, but there have been people who have ignored the warnings and have done stupid stuff anyway. This isn't the first time that this kind of thing has happened either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8