• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Hospitalized After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
King Arthur wrote:
I have indeed thought before I posted, and the answer I've come to is what you see.
Do we honestly have the spare resources to save idiots like this? I'd rather send the food and water the idiot would be digesting to starving kids in Africa or something.

Make best use of the stuff you have, and leave weaklings to die as the law of nature declares. Human life isn't so precious as humanists make it out to be when we're the most predominant species next to insects.

Granted, the people in Africa deserve as much respect and help as much as us here in the US, however that is still a poor excuse for claiming how someone deserves to die due to an incident. The world has had to evolve from older times in which you claim survival of the fittest is of the essence.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Maybe this topic should be called the Ayn Rand Primer.

Maybe not, because the "Death Note" incident would have been a better candidate. You are funny though (a compliment not an insult).
King Arthur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Granted, the people in Africa deserve as much respect and help as much as us here in the US, however that is still a poor excuse for claiming how someone deserves to die due to an incident. The world has had to evolve from older times in which you claim survival of the fittest is of the essence.

Look at the world around you, specifcally that of animals in the wild. Do we see them nurturing every single life? Nope, weaklings get filtered out for the sake of survival, and that's on top of their numbers being far fewer than humans. The world has evolved, I'll give you that definitely, but the law of the survival of the fittest hasn't changed.

We can either take in everything, which I see as an evolution of human greed, and have a lower chance overall at evolving ourselves. Or, we could actually follow the ways of Darwin and "trim" our bloodline so that the majority of our decendants are of the best standard possible. We evolved to where we are because the weak died out to make space for the worthy.

There's another reason why I support letting idiots die, and that is that the resources (and space) on Earth isn't infinite. The Earth will have to say "screw this" at some point or another, and we're only putting more strain and speeding up that process by "saving" lives that ought to have died.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Living in the Puget Sound area myself (although farther south), one thing crossed my mind while reading this...

Where'd they get a sandbox from?! I remember moving up here when I was 12 and being crushed that there were no sandboxes on the playgrounds- wood chips/shavings everywhere, no sand!

Anyway- as for the hows, I think this might've been a lil' easier to do than it seems... the reason there's no sand is because it rains so much. If those kids were dumping wet sand on 'im...

In any case, I'm glad he's alright, and I kinda wonder if this'll turn up at Sakura Con in 3 weeks... kinda like the protesters writing 'blood money' all over the sidewalk when the Bodies Exhibit went through...
loka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
news report is pretty amusing. "...AND THE IMAGES ARE DISTURBING; CHARACTERS BEING BURIED IN SAND..."

yes. so disturbing. i hope the reporter felt like an idiot just for reading that.

the kid was in 5th fscking grade. not 1st. not 2nd. either the kid is mentally retarded, or Seattle has some low standards.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
King Arthur wrote:
Look at the world around you, specifcally that of animals in the wild. Do we see them nurturing every single life? Nope, weaklings get filtered out for the sake of survival, and that's on top of their numbers being far fewer than humans. The world has evolved, I'll give you that definitely, but the law of the survival of the fittest hasn't changed.

We can either take in everything, which I see as an evolution of human greed, and have a lower chance overall at evolving ourselves. Or, we could actually follow the ways of Darwin and "trim" our bloodline so that the majority of our decendants are of the best standard possible. We evolved to where we are because the weak died out to make space for the worthy.

There's another reason why I support letting idiots die, and that is that the resources (and space) on Earth isn't infinite. The Earth will have to say "screw this" at some point or another, and we're only putting more strain and speeding up that process by "saving" lives that ought to have died.

Yes, but the fact of the matter is that we are human, and this is not the wild. Humans learn from their mistakes, that is why we are human, not animals. Darwinism is a whole different matter from anime. We are worried about the outcome of this incident, so let us just put it that and get back on topic.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
King Arthur wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Sorry for this dude. If you take Darwinism in to account, you also have to take the big bang into account. This means you take eventuality, statistics, and atheistic ideas into account. The point of evolution and big bang is luck, and sadly the people in Africa were out of luck. This is where morality comes into account. We, people of the western world, try to help these people while being comfortable (I know terrible concept). We are trying to going against natural laws to bring this "Luck" paradox out of account. But killing a mass amount of people won't solve the problem. Also take this into account, with the ideas of Freud and Kant, are you, me, and other people prepare to go off our morality to face insanity? Are we ready to face nothingness?
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
For goodness sakes. No one deserves to die, especially not kids. 10 year olds are not yet capable of reasoning out the consequences of their actions. They just aren't. That's why they do stupid things like bury other kids. They think it'll be okay cause they saw it on TV. You have to remember that TV spends more time with kids than parents or teachers these days, so yeah. TV will have alot of infulence.

Parents have to remind their kids that dangerous play is not acceptable, and that people will get hurt if they re-enact some of the things they see on cartoons. It's not just a problem with anime either; its all sorts of media. But of course this will be a PR nightmare for Viz if they get sued or whatever, since people sue for everything in the US.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
This is terrible news, such a shame to happen to a child so young. I hope he gets better. It just seems like a tragic accident to me... it's hard to put the blame on anyone in my opinion. The parents made a human error but not one that I would frown apon them for, they must have truly believed that their child was in a safe and secure enviroment.

To blame the show itself would be absurd but it wouldn't do any harm to maybe do what fansubs do and just put a little safety notice when something like that is portayed in a anime aimed towards young children... it may not have much effect but it couldn't do any harm.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Killtheshrew wrote:
This is terrible news, such a shame to happen to a child so young. I hope he gets better. It just seems like a tragic accident to me... it's hard to put the blame on anyone in my opinion. The parents made a human error but not one that I would frown apon them for, they must have truly believed that their child was in a safe and secure enviroment.

To blame the show itself would be absurd but it wouldn't do any harm to maybe do what fansubs do and just put a little safety notice when something like that is portayed in a anime aimed towards young children... it may not have much effect but it couldn't do any harm.

This is the smartest thing I have heard all day. Thank God.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
This should be considered a nightmare for Viz. Naruto is associated with a child being sent to the intensive care unit. If that kid dies, then it's "Naruto killed my child." with weeping parents and the funeral on TV followed by the inevitable lawsuit. Death Note was already associated with death threats and kids being expelled.

Both series should air with disclaimers imo.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
King Arthur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'll place up a fine example: The people here keep bringing up issues of "what were the parents doing?". Such issues arise because we allowed such morons to reach adulthood and obtain responsibility they cannot hold. And because such morons got the chance to make kids, the kids grow off the already-stupid parents, resulting in more morons. I'm saying such bloodlines need to be cut off somewhere. I am pretty sure we could use the resources they use up to better use somewhere else. I am sure we can do better than making a world where the stupid can live.

Yes, humans may feel comfortable and happy they are "saving" lives in the name of morality and stuff, but in the end it all boils down to self-satisfaction. We are failing to look at the bigger picture. Sure, we may be "saving" human lives (worthless or not), but we're harming others at its cost. Endangered species that lost their habitats, and the Earth itself to name a few. Almost all of the environmental problems I hear today seem to me that they stem from the problem of too many humans. Humans pretty much need a predator, but since we lack such an object, we need to learn we can't keep everything and be happy; something has to go.

And to answer posterior_praiser, if you say no one deserves to die, we don't reserve the right to eat any food. We readily kill animals and plants daily in the name of survival, farmed or not. Those animals and plants are alive too. If we eat others, then none of us (myself included) have the right to go off saying "no one deserves to die". Or is that "no one" supposed to be humans only, and that the lives of other organisms are mute? I see life as equal in all respects. If you want me to be blunt, I see human life just as much as worth that of a bull about to be butchered for beef.

EDIT: I'll be back later to follow up, assuming this topic doesn't get locked first. Got some work and errands I need to take care of first.

Last edited by King Arthur on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I think it's obvious the parents have not sat down with this kid and given him the real life vs. make believe speech that I got when I was young. The kid is in 5th grade (usually they are by 10 years old) and that is certainly old enough to know that no air=death, or at the very least extreme discomfort. Maybe this kid didn't have an older sister smoother him with a pillow like I did, but that's another story for another time. Some kids learn the hard way, some learn the easy way. At least now both the kid AND his parents have BOTH learned a lesson from this situation. The kid learned that air is good and suffocating is bad, and that cartoons have an easier time breathing in sand. And his parents learned that their child needs to be watched at all times. I wouldn't even let him sleep with a blanket at this point.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Well his friends are the ones who buried him. So, the whole group needs that talk imo. Those poor kids are going to need counseling too.

No one deserves to die.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
In that kid's defense, before I saw anime, I broke my arm jumping into a sandbox when I was a kid. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8