• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Hospitalized After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starre257

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Crap...

When I saw this on the news today, they just said the kid was imitating a cartoon from TV... but I just knew it was Naruto.

This is not going to do anything good for the general public's opinion of anime.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
King Arthur wrote:
I'll place up a fine example: The people here keep bringing up issues of "what were the parents doing?". Such issues arise because we allowed such morons to reach adulthood and obtain responsibility they cannot hold. And because such morons got the chance to make kids, the kids grow off the already-stupid parents, resulting in more morons. I'm saying such bloodlines need to be cut off somewhere. I am pretty sure we could use the resources they use up to better use somewhere else. I am sure we can do better than making a world where the stupid can live.

Sad Why are being so cruel about people you don't even know. I know you were generalising but you were including this childs parents into that but you know nothing apart from what the story provides... very little. I know you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that but... It just seems like a very hard edge view that's all.
feytaline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I was about to ask "... and WHERE were the parents...?" but then I realized ten years old is at the point where you shouldn't need your parents watching you 24/7, and you should realize that no air leads to brain damage leads to death.

Of course, I don't really think Naruto is quite in the age bracket for ten year olds, isn't it intended for a bit older than that? So maybe I SHOULD be asking "where are the parents?" after all.

Ah, man... This is just sad all around. I saw this in Yahoo! News, I had no idea it was linked to anime.

Honestly. If it was just one kid playing by himself, I could understand, maybe, but a group? Surely ONE of them thought "Hey, guys, this is a bad idea?" *headdesk*

I really hope he's okay. And no one is mentally scarred by this except maybe some of us by the utter stupidity and sadness of the entire situation.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
King Arthur you have been listening to your professors to much. I respect you for your opinions and knowledge. You, in a sense, believe in psychological egoism. I know you know what that is. Yes, take into consideration that even your answer to our problems will turn to a problem. Your answer promotes some sort of a centralized government control, and oh God how terrible that would be. Your dream would not be a possibility, but history has shown us that it would not work.

Altruism seems to be useless in the evolutionary chain, but how come we have it. Evolution only goes with luck and eventuality, and we humans have a lot more control than that, but of course we abuse it. I see how you are thinking the way you are thinking, but please reconsider your stance on your utilitarian society. Think of the books "The Giver" and "1984", see how your stance would not work.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I got a bit of a chuckle out of this article because it reminded me of the kids 15 years ago who tried to set themselves on fire imitating Beavis and Butt-head, or those who got lost in the sewer systems trying to find the Ninja Turtles. Kids have probably been pulling stupid moves in imitation of what they see around them since humanity first got itself going. It's the same story every generation; only the TV shows in question change.

Now, that being said, I have a younger brother who's not too far removed from that age, and I'm fairly certain that he's aware of the simple fact that no breathing = death. I sure know I was back then. Kids or not, 10 is a bit old to be pulling a stunt like that. Well, better to learn the lesson later than never, I guess.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
feytaline wrote:
I was about to ask "... and WHERE were the parents...?" but then I realized ten years old is at the point where you shouldn't need your parents watching you 24/7, and you should realize that no air leads to brain damage leads to death.

Apparently the 10-year-old was the oldest of the group, so the question still stands..."Where were the parents?"

Someone else asked where did the sandbox come from with real sand, it was in the family backyard. This did not happen on city/county property.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Christ...

It's a f****** CARTOON. The kid should have at least known that it was fictional. Rolling Eyes That kid must've been pretty immature to not know it was a fictional thing and can't happen in real life.

What next, a kid gets burned in their mouth because they're trying to imitate Sasuke? Rolling Eyes
Lemwon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
1. A kid immitated Naruto; that doesn't mean Naruto should be banned or cancelled. Following that logc, we'd have to cancel EVERYTHING; every TV show, every video game, every anime, etc. It just won't happen.

2. To everyone who thinks this is funny, it isn't. I have three younger brothers (ages 4, 7, and 9) who love Naruto as well as most animation. They immitate what they see; it's expected and unavoidable as long as they continue to watch it. Thankfully they've never attempted somthing like this, but I know it's always possible. I never laugh when I'm in the hospital after one of them has been hurt.

3. To everyone who thinks the kid was dumb, think about it. Naruto buried his head in the sand, and Naruto was fine. In children's minds, they can also bury their heads in the sand and be okay. Some children don't get that cartoons follow a different set of physics than in the real world. That doesn't mean they're dumb. I know many adults who can't see between fiction and reality; they're usually in massive debt.
spife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
This kid can't die. He is one of the future weeaboos of America.

See pic of Cody Porter:
http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/44325/2006205340898574807_rs.jpg

Last edited by spife on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Step back a bit... okay? Okay. This kid was TEN. By the time you're ten, you SHOULD be smart enough to distinguish reality from fiction and know you aren't f*cking Gaara!

Quoted for truth. Yes, ten is young, but do you guys remember what you were like when you were 10? When I was 10 my friends and I pretended to be Digimon and DBZ characters all the time... but we knew that if one of us actually shoved another off a jungle gym or something that it was going to hurt, and certainly knew that if we friggin buried someone head first in the ground they would sufficate! We were perfectly content with running around shouting "pepper breath!" Very Happy

Bottom line is all these kids are just stupid.

I remember when I was 10, me and my friends would run around and pretend we were Sailor Moon characters. Even so, we knew it was fiction.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
"There is a sandbox in the back yard, and Quantrille says his children told him Cody came up with the idea that they should bury him, head first, in the sand."

Well, there you have it, that's why the kid almost died. Hopefully he was not oxygen-deprived long enough to cause permanent damage.

I'm sorry, but 10 year olds should know you have to be able to breathe to live.

And since this is in the backyard of someone's home, adults should have been at least looking out on the kids a few times.. often enough to see them buring Cody's head! Shocked

Jesus Christ! That kid must've been f*cking stupid to not know that BURYING YOURSELF HEADFIRST IN SAND IS BAD.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:
When I first read the headline I thought for just a moment the kid was reenacting the attack on the leaf by playing with snakes. Like he made a few sand buildings and tossed his brother's pet snake in the sand box.

Now THAT would be funny. Laughing even better, what if he were imitating Deidara and threw some firecrackers covered in clay in the sandbox? Laughing
Tsunami Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFreak28 wrote:
I must the only person here that finds this funny.

Nah, I laughed pretty hard myself.

Lemwon wrote:
To everyone who thinks this is funny, it isn't.

No, you're wrong. It's very funny. Now, it would not be funny if the child's friends had injured/killed him without his knowledge or consent (e.x. if they played some prank on him that went horribly wrong). But this is not what happened.

The child voluntarily asked his friends to suffocate him, and they agreed. This is an act of tremendous stupidity (easily Darwin award worthy if the child had died), not only because one idiot kid was involved but there were FIVE others who helped him.

I have no sympathy for these children. They are all idiots. At ten, they should know the difference between what's real and what's not (and no, I'm not talking about just playing pretend) and should realize that burying someone's head just *might* be a bad idea (how many children are told that things like putting a plastic bag over their head can injure them?).

This is comedy, not tragedy.

Last edited by Tsunami Jones on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
maus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
And another one bites the dust... Laughing
I may sound a little cold, but I don't feel any kind of compassion with kids as stupid as this one. Rolling Eyes
King Arthur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
AznJazz wrote:
King Arthur you have been listening to your professors to much. I respect you for your opinions and knowledge. You, in a sense, believe in psychological egoism. I know you know what that is. Yes, take into consideration that even your answer to our problems will turn to a problem. Your answer promotes some sort of a centralized government control, and oh God how terrible that would be. Your dream would not be a possibility, but history has shown us that it would not work.

Altruism seems to be useless in the evolutionary chain, but how come we have it. Evolution only goes with luck and eventuality, and we humans have a lot more control than that, but of course we abuse it. I see how you are thinking the way you are thinking, but please reconsider your stance on your utilitarian society. Think of the books "The Giver" and "1984", see how your stance would not work.

I actually based my conclusions on my own observations, rather than what professors would be telling me. Though, I doubt that actually makes any difference. I'm not supporting any centralized government control, no, laws of nature can be readily enforced without that (I'll actually remain neutral in any political debates that may arise). However, what I'm trying to say is that this approach of "save every last life" needs to go at some point or another. Some animals lay a ridiculous amount of eggs because they know some will inevitably get eaten, and they don't try to prevent that from happening. Obviously we can't change ourselves right now, but I'm sure people will (are?) realize that such methods will fail at a certain point because Earth never has and never will be an infinite source of resource, and that co-existance with other organisms is vital to all parties. As long as humans remain attached to Earth alone, something needs to go. And even if we do get more resources later (space exploration, maybe?), there still lies the problem of evolution of the Homo Sapien species.

As you respect my opinions, I also respect everyone else's; discussions are worthless if we don't respect each other. But I just can't help but say that there's conflicts in the arguments brought forth (like "no one deserves to die" vs. us eating other organisms for survival) and harm in the eventual survival of the human species with the saving of every, otherwise unnecessary, life.

Like having too many insects ruins the crops of farms, or a complete monopoly of a business industry by one company hurts the economy, too many humans will eventually destroy, if not mortally harm, our planet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8