• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Guardian Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
lol..this was back when both sites were actually worth anything. now most their reviews are clearly paid off or just extremely biased thanks to fanboyism overcoming the reviewers. amazing how much has changed in a decade. I miss the old days of gaming

Oh come on, that's nonsense. Mainstream game reviews were just as amateurish, uncritical, fanboy-informed and skewed toward popular/hyped titles then as they are now - possibly even moreso. (Just look at how much more reviews from that time period obsessed over graphics than reviews today.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The Saturn was a superb piece of hardware in retrospect, and Sega probably should have given it a bit more time instead of listening to Bernie Stolar (though I have a lot of admiration for the Dreamcast as well). A lot of game developers had a hard time grappling with the mechanics of the Saturn, instead opting for the dumbed down PSX hardware to make their games for. Though the Saturn's proficiency with 2d is well known, people said the Saturn couldn't do 3d well, but there have been enough examples shown that it could punch in the same weight class.

When used correctly, the Saturn sometimes proved that its ultimate potential may well have outstripped the PS1 by a considerable amount. Given time, less advanced game developers might have finally acquired the tools and knowhow to properly develop for the Saturn.

The Saturn as a piece of hardware fascinates me to no end, even though I don't collect for it since the games are too expensive. It's difficult also for a retro collector to justify buying a North American version of a Saturn because many of its best games are in Japan. As such, there are the headaches of modding, tracking down hard-to-find Action Replay carts and such that must be taken into consideration with this machine (unlike the Dreamcast which makes import play as simple as a boot disc)

If nothing else, Saturn owners who have the machine collecting dust should still keep it as a memorable piece of console craftsmanship.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
That's two weeks in a row that you've brought up Angel Cop.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
My one gripe with Phoenix Wright is that it seems they rushed his model a little. It's like his face should be thinner, and his hair should be a bit more... pheonix-wright-spiked.

I would love if for DLC they had his "Bullshit Evolved" voice. So great. xD
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I've still got my Saturn, though it's in the box right now, just waiting for me to find time to hook it back up (still need to replace the battery...). I got mine in '98 at Walmart.

On clearance.

For $30... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

At the time I was able to get a lot of good game for cheap like Shining Force III, Guardian Heroes, and Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

corinthian wrote:
Still waiting on parts 2 and 3 of Shining Force 3... But I'd certainly accept a downloadable rerelease of part 1

You and me both. Come on, Sega, get translating and stick it all on Live and PSN already! That and Fighters Megamix, now that's a game Sega should revisit with a sequel! Crossovers are all the rage right now and it would be a good excuse to use Miku Hatsune again, right?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
The controls work surprisingly well with a standard Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 controller, and this downloadable version supports racing wheels on both consoles.

It is most unfortunate that racing wheels are few and far between on one of such systems, save for those whose disposable funds are plentiful.

Just got the new wireless racing wheel for $30. A friend is selling a barely used $300 one for $100. Laughing
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
UMVC3: Way to treat one of the video game characters who created your company, Capcom. Mega Man must be crying somewhere.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote

Did someone mention Sega Saturn?

About Chrono Cross, while it had plenty of good things about it, the sheer weight of characters that had no point existing other than flavor, and how completely convoluted the plot got near the second disc, it knocks it down a few pegs in my eyes. Drop the luchadore psychic priest, mushroom man and skeleton clown and the rest, the game would have been improved 200% at least.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
so in short your comparsion is not even close to accurate

I'd say it's spot on, given how similarly hyperbolic fits Chrono fans throw out for that game.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
lol..this was back when both sites were actually worth anything. now most their reviews are clearly paid off or just extremely biased thanks to fanboyism overcoming the reviewers. amazing how much has changed in a decade. I miss the old days of gaming

Oh come on, that's nonsense. Mainstream game reviews were just as amateurish, uncritical, fanboy-informed and skewed toward popular/hyped titles then as they are now - possibly even moreso. (Just look at how much more reviews from that time period obsessed over graphics than reviews today.)

That statement is 100% true. There's a general malaise of bias in the mainstream gaming world. I mean look at how many people are fawning over MW and giving it high scores, yet Game Informer & EDGE couldn't even give Sonic Generations a decent score but IGN,GT,1up,Kotaku,Destructoid and even the Anti Sonic Game Radar threw Sonic a bone and gave the game good scores.

That's injustice, pure and simple.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the Sega Saturn tribute Todd, but no Segata?

Also no mention of SystemSoft Alpha's Moe Moe Daisensou Gendaib-an 3D Strategy Game? Just pulling your leg. Although I dunno whether I should find this trend of an increasing number of 3DS moe games being announced to be disturbing or not.
kazume

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
Chrono Cross is by far one of the greater games to come out during that time. Probably biased on it, but no other game's musical score has ever been able to match it then, and the soundtrack in it's entirety is probably the best that will ever grace a video game now.

Yet most people either regard it as a "great game but horrible sequel" or "good story but horrible battle mechanics." As for me I'm proud to have played it three times over and FINALLY figuring out how to get Razzly's final weapon to use that elusive triple tech ^-^

40 characters was a bit much, but this goes out to all the people that want more but when they get it, whine and complain like they did for CC.

Sure it's totally possible to give us only a handful of characters like in Trigger and make those few count, but there's something to be said about an abundance of characters and a slight tweak in the text on screen to adapt every single character into the story, something that no other game has even attempted which wasn't perfect but it worked incredibly well. (The developer ending explains the simplicity of it.)

If it worked to perfection, you'd see every possible copycat try to mimick the formula, put their own logo on it, and bam, attempt to sell *cough*MW-COD-BF*cough* rinse, lather, sell 5.9 million copies of regurgitated crap, which is what games like Brink, Rage, and especially the new Duke taking up space at the bottom of the FPS barrel.

It worked for Cross but to this day I am SO glad it didn't spawn a bunch of imitators, making Cross a truly unique game, and as much as I like Trigger since that's the game that started it all, although no one can imitate it's amazing story, there's an imitator for it's battle mechanics out there stinking up the place.

Cross doesn't have that "problem" as far as I can remember.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
kazume wrote:
...something that no other game has even attempted which wasn't perfect but it worked incredibly well.

While I love CC (more than Trigger, which I find boring, actually), and agree with your points, I gotta disagree here. While text-style differences might not be there, Chrono Cross is not the only game with a high number of playable characters that has character-specific dialogue depending on who you have with you.

May I present to you the Suikoden series? Each game has around 80 playable characters (108 total recruits, though some give services instead of being party members), and there are many scenes that have character-specific dialogue. In fact, the US version of Suikoden II actually has a glitch with one of those scenes.

At one point, you have to infiltrate a school, so only school-aged characters can come with you. One of these characters is Futch, even though this scene takes place hours before you can recruit him. However, due to what was probably left in from testing, you can actually recruit him very early into the game. By doing this, you can bring him along. However, some of his dialogue displays with glitched characters, because the US programmers didn't realize it was possible to have him at that point, and didn't translate his lines.
DTJB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Okay, we get it. You really like that Linn chick from AvP, get ahold of yourself.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
That statement is 100% true. There's a general malaise of bias in the mainstream gaming world. I mean look at how many people are fawning over MW and giving it high scores, yet Game Informer & EDGE couldn't even give Sonic Generations a decent score but IGN,GT,1up,Kotaku,Destructoid and even the Anti Sonic Game Radar threw Sonic a bone and gave the game good scores.

That's injustice, pure and simple.

Game Informer is owned by Gamestop, so I'm pretty confused why it even gives negative reviews at all. Didn't it give Sonic 2006 an 8 out of 10?

I'm also having a hard time telling apart all of the gritty war shooting games coming out. They all blur into one for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2