• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Artist K. Hachiya: Copyright Law Changes Would Affect Cosplay

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
I was actually curious if this could actually influence any of these issues inside of the United States. Would copyright holders or any other authorities within the United States be concerned about doujinshi being imported into the country, or anyone's cosplay portrayal in any sense? I am unsure that anything would change for western fans, considering that no fundamental shift in other laws would occur, but I was curious if any change in Japan would change how perception is here.
manga1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
Thats just messed up, what about imitation is the best form of flattery, and giving the cops of any sort absolute power is a bad thing, where is the line drawn, between art being made of something seen, and giving credit were it is due.

soon you will be hearing that you cant take photos of a city because they sell approved photos for an outrageous price, and it violates the photo rights of the city to represent itself to the world.

such a decision would kill the costume maker industry and make life hard for prop makers such as myself, as if it were not hard enough when they tell me it looks too real to use around the con, also kind of flattering to be able to make people think it is real even though they are just cutouts of wood with side detailing.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
As absurd as it is, there is actually precedent for completely ridiculous things like trying to state that certain photographs are not in the public domain. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, there were several court cases that deal with whether or not photographs of the Eiffel Tower taken during a period of special lighting for the 100th anniversary of it's construction were deemed in the public domain. As far as I know (maybe someone can correct me) anyone who takes contemporary photos of the tower at night actually cannot publish them without permission in the nation of France. If I am correct in that, this sort of thinking is out of control.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3